• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2nd half of the season...

We're not good enough to win the title. Too mentally suspect, not enough squad depth, and the crunch situations will see us fold, as we folded at the Bridge and against United.

We are, however, good enough to secure a record points total, we're good enough to pick up the points against most teams we play with relative ease, and, perhaps most importantly...we're definitely good enough to finish 4th or win a trophy if we try.

Supposing we focus on the league, there's no reason we can't secure at least 73 points, and possibly finish 4th if we get the rub of the green. If we focus on the EL/FA Cup (or both), there is no reason whatsoever we can't win one of them. Either securing a record points total or winning a trophy - either would signify a solid, successful season for me.

Two games away from the mid-point of the campaign, and we're on 33 points. Assuming a draw and a win against Soton and Watford, respectively (sounds reasonable to me), we'll reach the halfway mark with 37 points, which should *just* surpass the 73 point mark if maintained over the second half of the season - plus, as many here have pointed out, we have a lot of our return games against the top ten at WHL, while it is the other way around for the majority of the others. So, no reason to be unduly concerned just yet - reasonably solid season so far, with relatively minor pitfalls in the league (United, Chelsea) and a considerably disappointing CL campaign marring an otherwise basically consistent league run. 6.5/10. Carry on, lads.

Winning the title this season would always mean a massive over achievement compared to a realistic assessment of our situation at the start of the season. I like that Pochettino mentions it from time to time, I like that we aim high. But not getting there shouldn't be a concern.

I think it was always likely that one or more out of Conte's Chelsea, Mourinho's United, Pep's City, Klopp's Liverpool or Wenger's Arsenal would kind of run away with it a bit and open up a gap. Just so much quality in terms of managerial ability and players in that bunch.

A record points total overall is a very nice aim for the second half of the season I think.

We're not good enough to win the title. Too mentally suspect, not enough squad depth, and the crunch situations will see us fold, as we folded at the Bridge and against United.

We are, however, good enough to secure a record points total, we're good enough to pick up the points against most teams we play with relative ease, and, perhaps most importantly...we're definitely good enough to finish 4th or win a trophy if we try.

Supposing we focus on the league, there's no reason we can't secure at least 73 points, and possibly finish 4th if we get the rub of the green. If we focus on the EL/FA Cup (or both), there is no reason whatsoever we can't win one of them. Either securing a record points total or winning a trophy - either would signify a solid, successful season for me.

Two games away from the mid-point of the campaign, and we're on 33 points. Assuming a draw and a win against Soton and Watford, respectively (sounds reasonable to me), we'll reach the halfway mark with 37 points, which should *just* surpass the 73 point mark if maintained over the second half of the season - plus, as many here have pointed out, we have a lot of our return games against the top ten at WHL, while it is the other way around for the majority of the others. So, no reason to be unduly concerned just yet - reasonably solid season so far, with relatively minor pitfalls in the league (United, Chelsea) and a considerably disappointing CL campaign marring an otherwise basically consistent league run. 6.5/10. Carry on, lads.

Our 'record' points total is 77 not 72.
And it's absolutely meaningless as a 'record' since 3 points for a win came in.

Points as an aim is a bit ridiculous anyway. The 70 points that got us 3rd last season would have only got us 6th in 2013/14.

Tangible aims for the rest of the season:
Beating City and Liverpool away. Poch has only 1 win away against a top 6 team in his 3 season. This needs to be stopped. We turned up at Old Trafford almost expecting not to get a result.
Beating United in the last ever game at the old WHL. Beating Arsenal at the last ever NLD at the old WHL.
Finishing above Wenger in the league finally before he quits. That should be enough to get us a Champion's League to waste next season.

Our 'record' points total is 77 not 72.
And it's absolutely meaningless as a 'record' since 3 points for a win came in.

Points as an aim is a bit ridiculous anyway. The 70 points that got us 3rd last season would have only got us 6th in 2013/14.

Tangible aims for the rest of the season:
Beating City and Liverpool away. Poch has only 1 win away against a top 6 team in his 3 season. This needs to be stopped. We turned up at Old Trafford almost expecting not to get a result.
Beating United in the last ever game at the old WHL. Beating Arsenal at the last ever NLD at the old WHL.
Finishing above Wenger in the league finally before he quits. That should be enough to get us a Champion's League to waste next season.

Points as an aim focuses on our performance over a larger sample size of games. This is more focused on our performance as a team. Point aims are not ridiculous and certainly tangible. If end up on 75 points, but 4 other teams manage 76 and above has our overall performance been any worse than if only 3 other teams manage to get ahead of us on 75 points?

Focusing on individual games (where luck has a greater impact) or us up against one other team (where their performance will influence the outcome as much as our performance) is less in control of Pochettino and our players.

We can of course have several aims. I prefer to have at least some of them focused primarily on the performance of our manager and our players.

Points_Distribution_Table.png

We've lost a lot of points to the mid table sides, but we have them all at home in the second half of the season.

Would you be able to keep this graphic updated for us?

Points as an aim focuses on our performance over a larger sample size of games. This is more focused on our performance as a team. Point aims are not ridiculous and certainly tangible. If end up on 75 points, but 4 other teams manage 76 and above has our overall performance been any worse than if only 3 other teams manage to get ahead of us on 75 points?

Focusing on individual games (where luck has a greater impact) or us up against one other team (where their performance will influence the outcome as much as our performance) is less in control of Pochettino and our players.

We can of course have several aims. I prefer to have at least some of them focused primarily on the performance of our manager and our players.

My point is that points total depends on the quality of the league.

If the Premier League replaced Southampton and West Brom with Newport County and Leyton Orient this season we would get our 'record' points.
It doesn't mean we improved or were better than last season.

The quality of the Premier League varies by season.
Points total is meaningless.

I have no expectations for the second half of this season. I am looking forward to the next season already.

Back