• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

25 player premier league squad

Falcao no, Sanchez unlikely but I think we could have had Balotelli if we wanted him before Liverpool did.

No we couldn't because Balotelli is on ridiculous wages and we'd have had to have done some kind of deal with Milan like we did with City where we effectively get him on a free with Milan supplementing his wages and we pay Balotelli any loyalty bonuses he's owed etc

There's no way we'd have got Balotelli in this way given we wouldn't have been the only club interested in him.

It's wages more than transfer fees that limit the type/quality of signing we can make as a club.

We can break transfer records for fees on the likes of Lamela, Soldado, Darren Bent, Modric etc, because they're low earners.

We couldn't have signed Balotelli.

I think Rodriguez and Schneiderlin were intended/are expected to fill those last two homegrown spots.

I think it would have been a mistake to pay £16m for Welbeck when Rodriguez is the player Poch wants. He's also considerably better than Welbeck and will be cheaper. Welbeck would have been another Dempsey/Pienaar 12-month stop-gap, rather than a proper solution.

As you say, Kaboul and/or Chiriches can definitely make way to allow us to bring in 1 or 2 further O/S players (e.g. if we go back for Mascherano or Moreno), and Ceballos can be loaned.

Yedlin isn't coming till next summer. I imagine what will happen is Yedlin and Archer will come into the squad at the expense of Naughton (sold) and Friedel (retired). That's a straightforward rebalance.

Spot on, we were only interested in Wellbeck as a loan, because i believe our longer-term plan is to go for Rodriguez either in Jan or for next summer.

Schneiderlin or another may come in to fill the other spot. I say another as Schneiderlin's situation may be different in Jan or by the end of the season in terms of who is interested in him and who he is interested in joining.

Some poor journalism from the BBC regarding the squad announcements and BAE.

Manager Mauricio Pochettino has left him out of his squad, despite only submitting 23 of the 25 players he is allowed to register.

So totally ignoring the fact that we have the quota of 17 non homegrown players and BAE doesn't qualify for homegrown status! #-o

Time to bump this thread then, as we enter the final week or so of the window

As we currently stand:

Lloris*
Vorm*
Friedel*
Archer

Walker
Naughton
Rose
BAE*

Verts*
Fazio*
Chiriches*
Kaboul*
Khumalo*

Mason
Stambouli*
Dembele*
Paulinho*
Capoue*

Eriksen*
Lamela*
Chadli*
Lennon
Townsend
Ceballos*

Soldado*
Ade*

= 26, but 19 overseas (limit is 17 - in September BAE and Khumalo were left out)

-------

Underage (5)
Davies
Yedlin *
Dier *
Bentaleb
Kane

Out on loan (5)
Fredericks
Veljkovic (U21)
Carroll
Holtby*
Pritchard

I we sign someone Ceballos will be the next to be left out. Archer if they are homegrown.
Lots of room to play with.

I we sign someone Ceballos will be the next to be left out. Archer if they are homegrown.
Lots of room to play with.

If we sign someone home grown it doesn't mean a home grown player necessarily has to be left out.
The maximum squad size (over 21s) is 25 but clubs can list fewer.
The maximum number of overseas players is 17.
There's no maximum for home grown players (other than the total limit of 25).

Archer qualifies as U21.

Cool. I wasn't sure

If we sign someone home grown it doesn't mean a home grown player necessarily has to be left out.

Yeah - we only have 6 HG (including Naughton) but 19 O/S. We can bring in 2 (or 3 after Naughton goes) HG, but need to lose 3 O/S before bringing 1 in.

Archer qualifies as U21.

Cool. I wasn't sure

Yeah - we only have 6 HG (including Naughton) but 19 O/S. We can bring in 2 (or 3 after Naughton goes) HG, but need to lose 3 O/S before bringing 1 in.

Say we were to bring in Reid, R.Morrison and Zaha. Players I'd like us to target... Where would they go in the 25 man structure?

We're not even allowing Ceballos to play for the U21 team since he decided that he'll leave when contract expire.
So doubt we'll give him a spot in the 25 man squad this time around, more likely that we'll add Khumalo.
Khumalo, Assou-Ekotto and Ceballos won't stop us from signing a new player if Poch want to.

We're not even allowing Ceballos to play for the U21 team since he decided that he'll leave when contract expire.
So doubt we'll give him a spot in the 25 man squad this time around, more likely that we'll add Khumalo.
Khumalo, Assou-Ekotto and Ceballos won't stop us from signing a new player if Poch want to.

It's strictly not about fitting them into the 25.

It's about having 35 senior player who need to be trained (not good for squad dynamics) and paid wages. We need a net reduction of about 10 - a '4 out 1 in' policy for a while.

We've got it covered for this window, it's more interesting to look ahead to next season. Friedel, Ekotto and Ceballos will be gone. We should look to sell Lennon now or in the summer if we want to get something, though both he and others could have an optional extension built in.

(years left on contract)

Lloris* (4)
Vorm* (3)
Archer (0)
Miles

Walker (4)
Fredericks (1)
Yedlin* (3)
Rose (4)
Davies (4)

Verts* (1+2)
Fazio* (3)
Chiriches*
Kaboul* (1)
Khumalo* (?, joined in January 2011)
Hall (?)

Mason (5)
Stambouli* (4)
Dembele* (2)
Paulinho* (3)
Capoue* (2)
Carroll (1)

Eriksen* (3)
Lamela* (3)
Chadli* (3)
Lennon (1)
Townsend (2)
Pritchard (1)

Soldado* (2)
Ade* (1)
Kane (4)

= 30, 17 non HG.

-------

U21:

Dier* (4)
Bentaleb (3)
Veljkovic

Youth players in their last year as U21s next season:

McEvoy
Ward
Lameiras
Lesniak
Coulthirst (0)

We've got it covered for this window, it's more interesting to look ahead to next season. Friedel, Ekotto and Ceballos will be gone. We should look to sell Lennon now or in the summer if we want to get something, though both he and others could have an optional extension built in.

(years left on contract)

Lloris* (4)
Vorm* (3)
Archer (0)
Miles

Walker (4)
Fredericks (1)
Yedlin* (3)
Rose (4)
Davies (4)

Verts* (1+2)
Fazio* (3)
Chiriches*
Kaboul* (1)
Khumalo* (?, joined in January 2011)
Hall (?)

Mason (5)
Stambouli* (4)
Dembele* (2)
Paulinho* (3)
Capoue* (2)
Carroll (1)

Eriksen* (3)
Lamela* (3)
Chadli* (3)
Lennon (1)
Townsend (2)
Pritchard (1)

Soldado* (2)
Ade* (1)
Kane (4)

= 30, 17 non HG.

-------

U21:

Dier* (4)
Bentaleb (3)
Veljkovic

Youth players in their last year as U21s next season:

McEvoy
Ward
Lameiras
Lesniak
Coulthirst (0)

Just a few comments

- I think McGee is ahead of Miles in the GK pecking order
- Khumalo is out of contract in June
- I don't think anyone especially rates Hall. He was brought in (after being released from Brighton), simply because we didn't have enough CBs to fulfil youth fixtures
- Kaboul and Ade are out of contract in June too, unless we choose to option the extra year extension

Just a few comments

- I think McGee is ahead of Miles in the GK pecking order
- Khumalo is out of contract in June
- I don't think anyone especially rates Hall. He was brought in (after being released from Brighton), simply because we didn't have enough CBs to fulfil youth fixtures
- Kaboul and Ade are out of contract in June too, unless we choose to option the extra year extension

Hall is already 23 and Miles will no longer count as U21 next season. McGee has a couple of years to go.

Kaboul and Ade are both likely to be here next season unless we find someone to take them on. Kaboul has stated he has one more year remaining IIRC and there's no mention of Ade being out of contract either. This is Ade third full season, everything except transfermarkt points to one more year.

End of Jan total = 34 players with 5 underage and 7 out on loan, leaving us with 22 players. 18+2 are overseas (*):

Lloris*
Vorm*
Friedel*

Walker
Rose

Verts*
Fazio*
Chiriches*
Kaboul*
Khumalo*

Mason
Stambouli*