• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Your Opinion - 3-er or a 5-er

3-er of 5er

• Total voters

ArcspacE

Banned
Need to upgrade my current 3-er soon but I'm torn at the moment.

First prize would be a new F30 but I'm not sure I can justify that kind of money at this point - not even 30 yet plus the missus would start moaning because her motor is also due for an upgrade so for the price of that we can do 2 'lesser' cars.

Initially I was set on a face-lift MSport 3-er E90 or even the convertible option - which I think looks the sex. But there is practically no boot in that one and we travel quite a bit so stacking bags on the back seat is a little silly.

Subsequently did a bit more research and discoverd I can pick up a 'late' E60 5-er (2009-10) for a very good price at the moment - I just fear it might be a little 'boring' compared to the smaller/tighter 3 series. Plus the interior is a little too minimalist for me!

I've never owned a 5 series before nor do we have any kids, etc. to justify a large family saloon but it's a higher 'class' motor compared to a 3-series and many options come as standard (iDrive, etc.). Plus the MSport package looks quite good on the eyes

Any advice / personal experience would be greatly appreciated - I've added pics. I really like the MSport 5-er but have reservations about the interior

There is a poll added and no other manufacturer suggestions would considered ;)

3 series MSport (E90/93)

m_sports_package.jpg

bmw-e90-lci-m-sport-4.jpg

bmw_320_convertible.jpg

attachment.php

5 series MSport (E60)

i.bmw.5.m.sport.04aug.jpg

cc38a7ee392dc4d445cc07437b81954a.jpg

4225557506_1c0f6e479c.jpg

BMW5Series-1694_8.jpg

It may surprise you to know that I'm currently driving an E60 M-Sport.

Nice looking car for BMW and it's aged well. It really depends on what how/where you want to drive between the two - for long motorway cruises the 5 is a lovely place to sit for a few hours and has a lot of nice touches like soft-close doors, etc. I often find myself driving friends to London so the space is handy, but if you don't need it and you drive around town, go for the 3.

If you get the 5, don't get run-flats, it makes the ride really harsh. If you get the 525d beware that you can't do the 530d chip upgrade - although the engine will handle it, the gearbox won't.

I do a fair bit of both - short distance drives and long distance (up to 1 200 - 1 400km in one go) drives so it's a balance game really

I've never owned a diesel in my life so might be the first time although down here we only have the 520d and 530d options

Are the MSport seats / suspension comfortable. Is the bluetooth telephone a standard option, etc.?

I do a fair bit of both - short distance drives and long distance (up to 1 200 - 1 400km in one go) drives so it's a balance game really

I've never owned a diesel in my life so might be the first time although down here we only have the 520d and 530d options

Are the MSport seats / suspension comfortable. Is the bluetooth telephone a standard option, etc.?

The diesel may surprise you, in sports mode you can handle the lack of revs quite easily.

I'm pretty sure Bluetooth is standard, can't speak for the seats as I think I've got the comfort pack on mine (memory seats, climate control etc)

I saw a new 1 series the other day. Thought it looked really nice.

One of our directors just retired and downsized to a 1-series (he's quite old and was struggling to park large saloons) and I'd say there's as much space in the front as in an old 3.

Put a 3l engine in it and you've got a pretty quick car too.

I saw a new 1 series the other day. Thought it looked really nice.

Personally, I think it's the worst styled Beemer to emerge in a long, long time - the front especially

I know I'll get shouted down here, but I honestly find Beemer dashboards so bland.

Love minimalist dashboards - I enjoy simplicity in design/detailing in general although the 3 'knobs' in the 5-er is a little extreme!

I know I'll get shouted down here, but I honestly find Beemer dashboards so bland.
Also known as driver focused. ;)

Can't help you with the 5-Series. Was very tempted when I switched jobs a year ago. Close to taking a punt on a 520d Touring in M-Sport trim. Had the saloon out for a full day and really rather liked it. Thought the two litre would be underpowered, but was surprised by how well it coped. Of course, a larger engine would be preferable with the extra lard of the 5-Series to lug around. The "sport" seats were nice, but actually, I think in the 5-Series, you'd be better off with the Comfort Seat option - expensive though it is (a grand or so if I recall the options list).

In the end I stuck with the 320d Touring and just tweaked the options list having had one for what turned out to have effectively been a six month test drive as my company car!

Thanks for the info, Funster.

Having done a bit of research - apparently after the facelift the Sports and Comfort seats were combined into one. At least that is what I understood.

Thanks for the info, Funster.

Having done a bit of research - apparently after the facelift the Sports and Comfort seats were combined into one. At least that is what I understood.

In that case I can comment, they're extremely comfortable on 3hr runs as I do at least one a week.

Dunno what lumbar is like on the stossy seats, but I can tell you, it was a worthy, worthy investment on mine. I think I also got adjustable bolsters as part of the same option. Also very good and quickly adjustable when you want to change from motorway to something more spirited.

Back