• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who are the leaders in the team?

Yep, Kompany scored because he's a leader - nothing to do with being a good footballer in loads of space :p

Need the :ross: emoji back.

Edit:

I was once taught by an Applied Mathematics lecturer - hugely inspirational person, a real leader, etc.

He'd be about 85 now - would he have scored that goal? I don't think putting him in central midfield against Bournemouth would have helped us out much either.
Can we swap him for Dier? ;)

Of course it is 90% being a good footballer, but it is also about stepping up and taking responsibility. I wonder whether quite a few of ours would’ve instead just passed it sideways instead of taking the responsibility?

This, i have said it before but those who dismiss the importance of a good capt/leader have probably never played at a decent level or never played with one in their team.

Of course it is 90% being a good footballer, but it is also about stepping up and taking responsibility. I wonder whether quite a few of ours would’ve instead just passed it sideways instead of taking the responsibility?
Our very best (worthy of being in a title winning team) probably wouldn't.

The simple answer, is to get better footballers - they don't need leaders.

This, i have said it before but those who dismiss the importance of a good capt/leader have probably never played at a decent level or never played with one in their team.
..... In the 1970s

Pretty much nothing on this earth is the same now as it was then. What makes you think football is?

Last edited:
I don't know whether a leader is important as such, but all the great teams have those inspirational players that seem to deliver in the key moments. For City, it's Kompany and Aguerro. Vieira and Henry used to do it for the goons, Terry/Lampard/Drogba for Chelsea. Barca have Messi and Pique, Madrid had Ronaldo and Ramos (arguably Bale too).

For us, it's Kane. Hopefully, we get to the Champions League final and he gets us the winner.

Don't think we have any real leader in the team. To be a leader, the player must be experienced, vocal, perform consistently, have won major trophies and most importantly lift the team when we are down. Unless he has these qualities, don't think other players would respect him or follow his instructions. Only Lloris come close but he is not vocal enough.

I dont know about leaders, but a bit more experience would not go a miss. The are times when I would have liked some of our players to do more cynical fouls and waste time in games when we are under pressure.

I don't know whether a leader is important as such, but all the great teams have those inspirational players that seem to deliver in the key moments. For City, it's Kompany and Aguerro. Vieira and Henry used to do it for the goons, Terry/Lampard/Drogba for Chelsea. Barca have Messi and Pique, Madrid had Ronaldo and Ramos (arguably Bale too).

For us, it's Kane. Hopefully, we get to the Champions League final and he gets us the winner.
What you've described are a group of really, really good players - among the best in the world in their positions.

If what you're advocating is to fill the team with elite footballers, I'm with you.

What you've described are a group of really, really good players - among the best in the world in their positions.

If what you're advocating is to fill the team with elite footballers, I'm with you.

That's very true. I think there is a little something extra with certain players though (which I guess is part of their ability) that enables them to deliver at the big moments. For example, Varane is probably a better defender than Ramos. But in the big games for Madrid, Ramos will just do something to help his team at a key moment, normally scoring a goal or wiping out one of the opposition key players.

IMO, the only player who has that for us (on a consistent basis) is Kane.

I was once taught by an Applied Mathematics lecturer - hugely inspirational person, a real leader, etc.

He'd be about 85 now - would he have scored that goal? I don't think putting him in central midfield against Bournemouth would have helped us out much either.

I do.

Think you’re making a knee jerk decision tbh.

Rose? Too flakey probably wind up his teammates and not in a good way; Dier? If you confuse pointy and shouty with leadership, doesn't pick the game up by the scruff of the neck and not sure he would inspire his teammates; lloris? Makes mistakes in big games, has the gravitas but I personally don't like goalies as captains; Alli? Too rash and young; Eriksen? Doesn't strike me as a leader on the pitch, don't know enough about how he is in the dressing room; Verts?good shout, excellent player, knows the club well, inspirational, leads by example; Kane? My personal preference, has it all including the MBE.

Last edited:
I think perhaps "motivator" is more appropriate than "leader".

I think Scara is right, the team dont need "leading" as such, it just doesnt seem to work that way.

BUT...

...put Lamela on the field and suddenly everyone has an extra bit of zip to their effort because he has that motivating effect.

Having someone able to lift the team up a notch at key times certainly isnt a bad thing.

Rose? Too flakey probably wind up his teammates and not in a good way; Dier? If you confuse pointy and shouty with leadership, doesn't pick the game up by the scruff of the neck and not sure he would inspire his teammates; lloris? Makes mistakes in big games, has the gravitas but I personally don't like goalies as captains; Alli? Too rash and young; Eriksen? Doesn't strike me as a leader on the pitch, don't know enough about how he is in the dressing room; Verts?good shout, excellent player, knows the club well, inspirational, leads by example; Kane? My personal preference, has it all including the MBE.

I don't think it's any coincidence both Poch and Southgate have Dier in their leadership group

Poch has mentioned Dier's role alongside Lloris, Kane and Verts, while Southgate's formally named 5 are Kane, Henderson, Dier, Delph and Sterling (Sterling was promoted to replace Young after the WC)

I think perhaps "motivator" is more appropriate than "leader".

I think Scara is right, the team dont need "leading" as such, it just doesnt seem to work that way.

BUT...

...put Lamela on the field and suddenly everyone has an extra bit of zip to their effort because he has that motivating effect.

Having someone able to lift the team up a notch at key times certainly isnt a bad thing.
A lot of the Lamela effect is more technical than motivation though. He reads and applies the press better than anyone we have - Kane is a close call. It's the extra pressure created by his pressing and the ferocity with which he does it that allows the rest of our team to push up and follow behind.

I believe there's a small element of the rest of the team seeing him go and thinking they want a bit of that, but on the whole I don't think top level footballers should need motivation. They're at that level because their ability to motivate themselves to continue improving and achieving is so strong.

A lot of the Lamela effect is more technical than motivation though. He reads and applies the press better than anyone we have - Kane is a close call. It's the extra pressure created by his pressing and the ferocity with which he does it that allows the rest of our team to push up and follow behind.

I believe there's a small element of the rest of the team seeing him go and thinking they want a bit of that, but on the whole I don't think top level footballers should need motivation. They're at that level because their ability to motivate themselves to continue improving and achieving is so strong.

Call it what you will, but I think his desire and energy does have an effect on those around him.

Of course, leading the press triggers others into following suit - but even so his presence always brings a bit more urgency out of everyone.

Not just in the press but in the way he moves the ball etc as well. He drives play on both offensively and defensively.

A couple of characters like this are very useful to have, IMO.

For every Keane there are a thousand loudmouths who confuse leadership and shouting and chest thumping. It can impress people in the stands but their teammates might think that they are tossers.

Haha, can't tell you how many times I've met this guy. We got one on our hockey team, always keeps yelling at people, everyone hates it. I got tinkled off at him during a match and told him off and let it slip that everyone hated him for it, hehe, it wasn't nice, but he has actually shut up now, and we're a better team for it. :D

I don't think it's any coincidence both Poch and Southgate have Dier in their leadership group

Poch has mentioned Dier's role alongside Lloris, Kane and Verts, while Southgate's formally named 5 are Kane, Henderson, Dier, Delph and Sterling (Sterling was promoted to replace Young after the WC)
He is certainly very vocal on the pitch and a good speaker off the pitch. I don't see he has the qualities required though, in terms of inspiring his teammates when they are down or being cool under pressure. Also he has been quite poor for the last 18 months.

Back