• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who are the leaders in the team?

Maltese Falcon

Niko Kranjcar
I am scratching my head thinking who are the leaders in the current team who can pull up their teammates by their socks in bad times... not too many options come up.

Kane - of course; maybe Dier? Toby at a long stretch...

After that the cupboard seems very bare.

No wonder the mental collapse of the last few weeks...

I am scratching my head thinking who are the leaders in the current team who can pull up their teammates by their socks in bad times... not too many options come up.

I don't see how anyone can tell from outside the camp.

Can't really comment on who have leadership qualities without knowing them.

On a separate note, when i think of the spurs of old (the sexy spurs), we tended to have an inferiority complex when we faced teams better than us. So these days i look for those that don't have this complex and don't care who the opposition is or how good they are. In other words they have no respect for reputation. For this i think Kane, Lamela, Dier, Sissoko, Alli, Rose - they play with a sense of " I don't give a fudge who you are" when facing up to the opposition. Dembele had that as well but he's gone now.

BTW this has nothing to do with the quality or performance level of the players mentioned. It's just a sense i get with the way they approach every game...

If we can find players that combine this attitude plus have quality we're onto a winner!

Maybe something that the likes of Mabbutt, Roberts, Ledley, used to... calm team mates down, give them a kick up the backside when the heads are dropping, keep their concentration...
Do intelligent modern footballers need something like that? Seems a little superfluous and outdated - I'd like to hear more detail about what one can offer before being convinced it's needed this side of the 1980s

I don't see how anyone can tell from outside the camp.

You cannot tell from outside the camp but you sure can tell it on the pitch. Any doubts that Roy Keane was a leader on the pitch? Is it blindingly obvious that the same can be said when Kane plays?

Who was holding the team together on Saturday and preventing it from disintegrating?

Do intelligent modern footballers need something like that? Seems a little superfluous and outdated - I'd like to hear more detail about what one can offer before being convinced it's needed this side of the 1980s

Human nature has not changed in 30 years... leadership is still the critical component of organisational culture and it is just as important in football culture. You may hate Henderson but it is obvious that he, Milner and van Dyk are leaders in that team and their influence throughout the game is evident even from watching on TV. How many players of that type do we have?

You cannot tell from outside the camp but you sure can tell it on the pitch. Any doubts that Roy Keane was a leader on the pitch? Is it blindingly obvious that the same can be said when Kane plays?

Who was holding the team together on Saturday and preventing it from disintegrating?

For every Keane there are a thousand loudmouths who confuse leadership and shouting and chest thumping. It can impress people in the stands but their teammates might think that they are tossers.

Vertonghen

Gary Neville just said in the Emirates Marketing Project v Leicester commentary about Kompany’s goal: “when you talk about leaders in your team stepping up when you most need them”.

Human nature has not changed in 30 years... leadership is still the critical component of organisational culture and it is just as important in football culture. You may hate Henderson but it is obvious that he, Milner and van Dyk are leaders in that team and their influence throughout the game is evident even from watching on TV. How many players of that type do we have?
If what you're describing as leaders exist in corporate culture then I've never seen it.

Managers are leaders, intelligent footballers don't need a Roy Keane clam to make them play better.

Gary Neville just said in the Emirates Marketing Project v Leicester commentary about Kompany’s goal: “when you talk about leaders in your team stepping up when you most need them”.
Yep, Kompany scored because he's a leader - nothing to do with being a good footballer in loads of space :p

Need the :ross: emoji back.

Edit:

I was once taught by an Applied Mathematics lecturer - hugely inspirational person, a real leader, etc.

He'd be about 85 now - would he have scored that goal? I don't think putting him in central midfield against Bournemouth would have helped us out much either.

Last edited:
Yep, Kompany scored because he's a leader - nothing to do with being a good footballer in loads of space :p

Need the :ross: emoji back.

Edit:

I was once taught by an Applied Mathematics lecturer - hugely inspirational person, a real leader, etc.

He'd be about 85 now - would he have scored that goal? I don't think putting him in central midfield against Bournemouth would have helped us out much either.
Of course it is 90% being a good footballer, but it is also about stepping up and taking responsibility. I wonder whether quite a few of ours would’ve instead just passed it sideways instead of taking the responsibility?

Back