• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Which position do we need to strengthen?

I need more creative spark. Right now we are relying on Dembele way too much. I think that we should go for someone to play behind the lone striker. Dempsey and Sig are not performing in that position. Dempsey seems to be much better playing left-mid. Sig is not tricky enough.

Sig might come good. I saw a few signs yesterday that gave me hope. He played two balls into Defoe which he really should have done better with.

Sig might come good. I saw a few signs yesterday that gave me hope. He played two balls into Defoe which he really should have done better with.

He might very well come good, but as a attacking midfielder, not a central midfielder in my opinion. At this time at least he's not really an option for the Dembele role at all.

He might very well come good, but as a attacking midfielder, not a central midfielder in my opinion. At this time at least he's not really an option for the Dembele role at all.

No definitely not a CM. He model's himself on Frank Lampard (not physically) by all accounts so I'd like to see a little more of fat Frank's good stuff, outside (deflected) shots, late breaks into the box and more goals of course. He's had a few good confidence building cameos of late which will do him no harm at all.

Just on the creativity point, I don't think we were that lacking in creativity during the Swansea game really. There were nearly 30 attempts at goal during that game according to the stats. If anything we were more guilty of being wasteful of the good chances that came our way.

No definitely not a CM. He model's himself on Frank Lampard (not physically) by all accounts so I'd like to see a little more of fat Frank's good stuff, outside (deflected) shots, late breaks into the box and more goals of course. He's had a few good confidence building cameos of late which will do him no harm at all.

Just on the creativity point, I don't think we were that lacking in creativity during the Swansea game really. There were nearly 30 attempts at goal during that game according to the stats. If anything we were more guilty of being wasteful of the good chances that came our way.

I think it's a little too simple to just look at the total attempts at goal. Not many (if any) of those attempts were clear cut chances. I read a stat a few weeks ago, that noted we were one of the teams with the highest number of total attempts, but were the team in the top 6 with the lowest number of clear cut chances. That I believe has something to do with lack of creativity in the final third.

I think it's a little too simple to just look at the total attempts at goal. Not many (if any) of those attempts were clear cut chances. I read a stat a few weeks ago, that noted we were one of the teams with the highest number of total attempts, but were the team in the top 6 with the lowest number of clear cut chances. That I believe has something to do with lack of creativity in the final third.

I would agree with you but for this match there were plenty of clear cut chances among the many attempts. In fact I had forgotten how many good ones until I saw the highlights again. Defoe had two one-on-one's and there about as clear cut as it gets really.

Gutter Boy, I feel a kinship with you, I'm to Random what you are to SN&V, wish I could refrain myself like I've seen you do so often (but not there).

Not sure if that is a compliment or insult though! :)

Someone who can retain possession in the middle of the park and a speedy winger so that our team doesn't mutate every time Bale or Lennon get injured.

Even before today, my choice was for a new striker.

But since Togo's FA have made it clear today that they intend to woo Adebayor back into the fold, there is a chance that we could have to rely on just the one striker from early January until mid February. I am therefore even more convinced that that is the position which we need to strengthen.

I don't care what positions our new signings are in as long as they are done on day 1 of the window and improve what we've got. Let's hope the Moutinho deal is still done from the summer and they can just tipex out the dates and send it off. Don't want to see any last minute Dempseys or anything like that. Just go out get what we need early and make sure they are ready for the january games including the united game on the 19th.

Having said that, in order of priority...

Playmaker
Striker
Wing cover (preferably someone pacey that can do a job on either side)

I would agree with you but for this match there were plenty of clear cut chances among the many attempts. In fact I had forgotten how many good ones until I saw the highlights again. Defoe had two one-on-one's and there about as clear cut as it gets really.

I admit I forgot about the one in 1st half, but the two one-on-one chances to Defoe and Townsend happened at the end, when Swansea played with high risks.

Just saw this statistic of the highest clear cut chance creators http://www.eplindex.com/23630/creativity-stats-premier-league-top-clear-cut-chance-creators.html. No Spurs player in top 20, is a little worrying IMO.

Last edited:
A Striker.

We need a striker. If we are going to persist with playing Defoe and Ade up front we need someone who can come on with fresh legs late on and try to make the difference.

An inside forward. Someone to cut in from the flank and provide a 'third' man in front of goal when either Lennon or Bale puts in a far-post cross, along with Ade and Defoe or Ade/Defoe and Dempsey/Sig. Wilfried Zaha would be perfect: relatively two-footed, a great dribbler, able to cut in off the wing and both young and English, offering guaranteed re-sale value, always a good thing in Levy's eyes.

We need a few things imo, in order of priority:

1.) Creative Central Midfielder (ie Moutinho or similar)
2.) Winger/Attacking midfielder hybrid (ie Willian or similar)
3.) Right Back (maybe Micah Richards if Emirates Marketing Project view him as behind Zabaleta and Maicon).
4.) Striker (Llorente if Levy can do a deal).

Agree with 1,2 and 4, not sure about Llorente but definitely with the positions. I wouldn't be throwing Walker away just yet, not for Richards who is basically just Walker with a few more years of experience anyway. Not really sure what decent right backs are out there at the moment.

Striker.

We haven't had a really good one since Berbatov left.

Ade doesn't appear to be at all bothered this season. And JD doesn't have enough to his all round game.

i'd pool all our monies on a realy good one!
imagine if we were clinical upfront - it would change the posturing of the entire team completely.

This on ESPN

Andre Villas-Boas believes his Tottenham Hotspur squad is good enough to finish in the top four without January reinforcements.
Saturday's 0-0 draw at home to Stoke City saw Tottenham drop out of the Champions League places and raised questions about their ability to unlock tight games. Rumours have escalated that they may be preparing a bid for Ajax's Christian Eriksen but, although the playmaker would appear exactly the kind of creator that Spurs lack, Villas-Boas says his team is fairly complete.
"I think we have enough to finish top four. It doesn't shift because of one result," he said. "Come on... let's have a realistic conversation. We had a chat the other day and we were fourth. Now, after one draw, we are fifth and yet it can't shift that much.

"What we want is to improve and to improve is to get Champions League qualification. The objective is ultimately to get that place.
"If we don't get it then we will have to continue to work to make sure we get it next time.
"There are a lot of teams with 30 points so, even if the teams get a couple of points, the difference is minimal. The Premier League is exactly like that.
"The team that sat third the other day now sits sixth or seventh in the league. Everybody is tight and competitive and, at the moment, there are four teams very tight together. It's very, very difficult.
"I think it's more important the way you finish... we need to continue to improve and be better in the Christmas period."
Villas-Boas also doesn't necessarily think that Tottenham did not need extra options in attack, despite appearing to lack reinforcements from the bench against Stoke in the absence of the injured Clint Dempsey.
"We don't think so. Clint [Dempsey] has been a tremendous player for us. I think he could have added an extra option. [Andros] Townsend came on the other day [against Swansea City] and was very strong. We went for [Gylfi] Sigurdsson through the channels and we have two proven scorers. We couldn't have done a lot really so that's one of the reasons I think we were sparing on the substitutions."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/185218.html#kfLpiRDWEx4tmDM6.99

Back