• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

When did Britain lose the plot?

airport staff are little hitlers though. they think they are in "law enforcement" when they more akin to bouncers
Oh bouncers fudge me off. Think they're big shots because they operate a small bit of pavement and inject themselves with some growth hormones.

Anyway that incident is fudging ridiculous - should anything happen and that person was to blame, how could they be charged if you cannot see their face (that is presuming that they would have got away)?

Look, these things are happening more and more in modern Britain. It's reported almost every day. And it's not just in Britain, mind; all around the world, there's similar things happening.It's just the way the world is now; everyone's too scared to say anything of substance, because that gets drowned out in the cry of 'It's not PC!' that springs up from everywhere around you. Now, hate speech is one thing, as is islamophobia. Being offended because someone makes an entirely off-the-cuff observation is entirely another. And publicly humiliating a senior because someone in listening range felt offended is borderline ridiculous.

I'm not white. I don't have to be. I have a bunch of white friends, though. And Muslim friends. We say a lot of stuff to each other that could be construed as horrendously non-PC. But these same people have also helped me out through a lot of difficult times, and I've always taken their side when they've been in trouble. Always will, too. And none of us take anything we say to heart, because a little bit of criticism, by way of jokes, arguments or just drunken mumbles at a bar, is a good thing. It helps you realize that sometimes you're at fault too, and that you're not perfect, not by any means. So I'm not perfect. The country I come from isn't perfect. The life I lead isn't perfect. My religious views (or lack thereof) aren't perfect. But then, neither are theirs. And pointing out the flaws, leads to discussing them, and discussing them leads to understanding them. I learned much of what I know about Islam through arguing with my buddy. He learned much of what he knows about politics through arguing with me. We both accepted we weren't perfect, and that helped us learn a lot more about each other.

That's what missing in the modern world. That give-and-take, that reasoning that holds that you shouldn't cause a mighty storm just because someone does or says something that doesn't align with your views of your perfection. Everyone's up in arms because they don't want to give a quarter; they hold that their creed, their history, their faith, their lifestyle, all of them are perfect, and if a stranger makes an off-hand remark about something he or she may be legitimately confused or uninformed about, GHod help them, because you're about to call them a racist/bigot/sexist/anti-semite/anything else that springs to mind,even if the person involved is nothing of the kind, safe in the knowledge that the public stands behind you. It's saddening, heart-breaking even, to see this level of instant outrage at the very idea that someone may think something you do or believe is a bit weird or unusual, or different from what they do. How dare they!

I don't think PC is completely bad. We need some of it, because if you just let the standards slide, it won't be long before the real bigots and racists will come crawling out of the woodwork and start spewing their bile over everyone. And when those kinds of people get too much freedom to say or do what they want, things slide very quickly, because they tend to shout the loudest, and everyone follows the loudest person. But I think this current level of intellectual emasculation, this terror of voicing a legitimate concern or asking a genuine question because it might be considered racist or bigoted, this is too much of a good thing. Far, far too much. People aren't perfect, and people aren't all-knowing. Please, for the love of GHod, can everyone please stop pretending that they are.

Look, these things are happening more and more in modern Britain. It's reported almost every day. And it's not just in Britain, mind; all around the world, there's similar things happening.

You read, what they want you to read.

Seriously, please don't construct opinion on society, based on what you read in "news"papers

9 times out of 10 there is a hidden agenda.

As a Spurs fan, you of all people should realise how much gonad*s is spun in "news"papers.

Seriously, please don't construct opinion on society, based on what you read in "news"papers

As a Spurs fan, you of all people should realise how much gonad*s is spun in "news"papers.

Well, in truth personal experience counts for quite a bit as well in my estimation. I understand that the newspapers have their own agenda, but you can get that to work for you as well. I read the Grauniad, for example. Occasionally flick through the Independent. The Graun's very much a left-wing paper, and if they're reporting something like that as well, as opposed to the Mail, the Sun or any other red-top tabloid, then it does highlight the problem somewhat.

But you're right, in general newspapers do have agendas. Doesn't change the situation at hand though.

I'm glad you said this. It's incredible to me how so many people don't realise that the media is not a unbiased source of information about the world but each outlet has a huge agenda based on it's owners/staff/income.

Not to condone this instance, but i'm sure i read somewhere that of all the stories about muslims or islam in the british media, 95% or something are negative and based on extremists rather than the vast majority who want nothing to do with those nutters. Kind of like only ever reading about creationist christians rather than the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Why the fact he created Fireman Sam is relevant, is my only question.

Does his make his treatment more unfair? Does it mean to detain him was wrong, because he wasnt an Everton fan in an Adidas tracksuit?

Why bring it up? Should we feel more angry/sorry/wronged?

Stupid comment, stupid punishment....but to be honest, f#ck Fireman Sam.

Insanity.
I hate the fear-based world we've become. It leads to so many problems including REAL prejudice which gets swept under the carpet because pathetic brick like this is high-lit as being 'racism'...quite clearly a lot of people live in states of either perpetual fear or perpetual grievance; neither are attractive qualities when employed daily on a near full-time basis...

Sorry, I'm a little confused here, I've never had to show my passport at the security gate at Gatwick or other airports in the UK? I put my hand luggage through, put off all my metal things into a little tray and then walk through the detector. If I beep they check me. If I don't, they let me through. But they don't check my passport or how much I look like my picture.

And the article says that if they want any woman to remove her covering, they can take her to a room and ask her to do so. So if for whatever reason they suspect the woman is not who she says she is, she will have to go through the same due process as anyone else. Though they seem to have gotten confused between a hijab and a niqab, as there should be no reason to remove a hijab for identification purposes.

And it was not a Muslim that flagged his comment. Just as it is almost never Muslims or any other minority group that push for the PC measures that gets everyone on here riled up so much.

His 'detention' was ridiculous. Firstly, it can't be racist. Secondly, he should be able to speak exactly how he wishes. But the thread, created by Mick to highlight the increasingly over-PC nature of Britain (imo), has been jumped on by others to exhibit their own prejudices. Similar to the hilarious KFC thread on here previously. Shame really.

the bit that got me was that the guy who heard the remark, called over a muslim employee, so she could be offended by the remark.

The worst part about all of this, is that the muslim community suffer the backlash of PC macarons implementing sanctions "on their behalf" that they haven't asked for or probably want.

Does his make his treatment more unfair? Does it mean to detain him was wrong, because he wasnt an Everton fan in an Adidas tracksuit?

=;

Fireman Sam is an institution!

Because it fires up the passion more? If some random chavs from Blackpool had received this treatment? Doubt it would have received any inches.

But Fireman Sam creator? Not only are the Muslims attacking us, they're attacking the creator of a British institution? Increased outrage. Its all fairly transparent but has the desired effect on some people.

the bit that got me was that the guy who heard the remark, called over a muslim employee, so she could be offended by the remark.

The worst part about all of this, is that the muslim community suffer the backlash of PC macarons implementing sanctions "on their behalf" that they haven't asked for or probably want.

Exactly. I've met few people from Religious groups who want or need a lot of the measures being implemented to 'protect them'. And I've only ever heard one person try to tell others to say Happy winter holiday before and that was a very secular person. None of the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs or Buddhists I've spoken to (and some from the first three groups have been really quite extreme in their views) gave even the slightest fudge about calling it Christmas. Why should they? In fact, a large number of them, yep, even those pesky Muslims, celebrated it.

I'm at times easily confused, but it confuses me why people get away with using the word racism to describe things that have nothing to do with "race".

Soon actual racists will have to be described as "race racists" as the word racism will have been diluted enough that it no longer carries it's original meaning.

What's insane is to use such a comment in these sensitive times we live in.
Granted Fireman Sam may be old and set in his ways but it was a totally needless and irresponsible thing to say.

He (and anyone else who uses such idiotic comments) should be put on a Government ran diversity training course, not as a form of punishment, but to raise their levels of awareness.

And anyone who posts these sort of stories on a public form claiming outrage should also look at some Diversity training themselves IMHO. Or maybe they're just vying for some needed attention?

What's insane is to use such a comment in these sensitive times we live in.Granted Fireman Sam may be old and set in his ways but it was a totally needless and irresponsible thing to say.

He (and anyone else who uses such idiotic comments) should be put on a Government ran diversity training course, not as a form of punishment, but to raise their levels of awareness.

And anyone who posts these sort of stories on a public form claiming outrage should also look at some Diversity training themselves IMHO. Or maybe they're just vying for some needed attention?

please expand on why commenting about the inability of a security proceedure to be effective across all forms of dress goes against diversity

What's insane is to use such a comment in these sensitive times we live in.
Granted Fireman Sam may be old and set in his ways but it was a totally needless and irresponsible thing to say.

wow - you sound like a totally right on, groovy kind of person.

What I object to, is the stupid waste of everybodies time, and the efforts that some beaurocratic organisations go to, to appear to be politically sensitive - but actually do nothing to serve the needs of the people they are trying to protect or isolate, from genuine acts of racial discrimination.

so I'd like to take the opportunity to invite you to take your patronising comments and stick them.

My comments are nothing to do with outrage, just a sad hearted dismay about the depths of stupidity our country has descended into.

Diversity awareness my arse

wow - you sound like a totally right on, groovy kind of person.

What I object to, is the stupid waste of everybodies time, and the efforts that some beaurocratic organisations go to, to appear to be politically sensitive - but actually do nothing to serve the needs of the people they are trying to protect or isolate, from genuine acts of racial discrimination.

so I'd like to take the opportunity to invite you to take your patronising comments and stick them.

My comments are nothing to do with outrage, just a sad hearted dismay about the depths of stupidity our country has descended into.

Diversity awareness my arse

"Do nothing to serve the needs of the people they are trying to protect or isolate".
Mr. Cooper, I suggest that they are doing something by challenging such inappropriate behaviour and comments.
If this sort of thing was left unkept and ignored, gradually the snide comments would get bigger and more hurtful and more commonplace. Before you know it we're living back in the 70's.

Is that what you want?

I congratulate the staff of the airport for making a stand.

And be prepared Mr. Cooper, when you post a topic on a public forum, people are going to comment. It's the idea of a thread. If you want me to 'stick my comments' just because you disagree - I suggest you refrain from posting in the first place!
Good day.

please expand on why commenting about the inability of a security proceedure to be effective across all forms of dress goes against diversity

Monkeybarry, we are not debating the security procedure. We are debating the gentlemans comment with respect to the hajib. Do not delude yourself into thinking that this has anything to do with the security procedure.

The security procedure is oh so convenient to hide behind once someone's insensitive comment has been challenged for what it is. Which is - at best - nothing more than a tool to wedging a divide between the differing cultures.

Back