• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is the worst ever decision taken by Daniel Levy as the Spurs chairman ?

What is Daniel Levy's worst decision as Spurs chairman ?

• Total voters
Its the lack of consistency:

Santini to Jol
Jol to Ramos
Ramos to 'Arry
'Arry to AVB
AVB to Sherwood
Sherwood to Poch
Poch to Jose

absolute zero continuity, in fact i'd go as far as saying the approaches from management are polarised entirely between each change.
Isn’t that right though
Continiuty and doing the same things gets the same results

Isn’t that right though

We don't seem to pick a manager to get the best out of the squad he is going to inherit.
Jol to poch for instance makes sense,
Harry to avb doesn't. To me at any rate.

Isn’t that right though

Yeah, the perception was that each had failed and had a glaring weakness, addressed by the strength of the next appointment.

Mostly, we did of course go from AVB to Poch, partly I suspect, because that Levy realised he’d not given AVB enough time, so went with a similar style, the memory of that is possibly also why Poch was given so long to address the slide.

Yeah, the perception was that each had failed and had a glaring weakness, addressed by the strength of the next appointment.

Mostly, we did of course go from AVB to Poch, partly I suspect, because that Levy realised he’d not given AVB enough time, so went with a similar style, the memory of that is possibly also why Poch was given so long to address the slide.

But now we've rotated to a manager with no longevity, so a complete 180 no?

Isn’t that right though

You can't say that Poch's methods and AVBs were the same, nor was Ramos to Jose. There wil be differences, it's the complete difference in perspective that worries me. We've gone from a manager known to play pressing attacking football to a defensive minded one with seemingly little offensive strategy. With the same players in both? How do we expect this approach to work?

We don't seem to pick a manager to get the best out of the squad he is going to inherit.
Jol to poch for instance makes sense,
Harry to avb doesn't. To me at any rate.
I agree but surely their is a logic as to why the previous one got sacked hence why the change (even if we fans dint agree)

You can't say that Poch's methods and AVBs were the same, nor was Ramos to Jose. There wil be differences, it's the complete difference in perspective that worries me. We've gone from a manager known to play pressing attacking football to a defensive minded one with seemingly little offensive strategy. With the same players in both? How do we expect this approach to work?
But Jose does have a history of offensive strategy hence why he has teams that set goal scoring records
But his approach is very different to Pochs I agree
But surely the logic is that it wasnt working with Poch, we need a change. Do we go for another manager playing a pressing game or someone different

It's a common approach in all kinds of business...its just a pivot

I think it’s fair to say a new face playing the same style of football may have worked, but who knows
I know quite a few of us wanted Ancelotti and it’s fair to say he isn’t pulling up trees at Neverton

But Jose does have a history of offensive strategy hence why he has teams that set goal scoring records

There was a piece in the Athletic i can't find right now, but basically says interviewing those closer to him or former players, Jose's teams were usually built on defensive process with little attacking or offensive strategy, leaving it a very much as a "up to the attackers to conjure up magic" kind of thing.

I'll try and find and link it later, it wasn't an attack on Jose, but just says he has very little input on the offensive side of football play in terms of methods or plans. Currently it seems to be attack down the right with Aurier and hope for the best.

There was a piece in the Athletic i can't find right now, but basically says interviewing those closer to him or former players, Jose's teams were usually built on defensive process with little attacking or offensive strategy, leaving it a very much as a "up to the attackers to conjure up magic" kind of thing.

I'll try and find and link it later, it wasn't an attack on Jose, but just says he has very little input on the offensive side of football play in terms of methods or plans. Currently it seems to be attack down the right with Aurier and hope for the best.
Yeah I’ve read that before but would like to see it again

The aim is team structure can make you hard to beat and playing ability can win you the games

The issue we have is we have a number of players who haven’t got the intelligence needed to play that way (son, moura and lamela) and are players who thrive on being told how to play

I said it yesterday that this weeks last word on spurs podcast has a coach in it who works with some of our youth players and he nails it

An argument can be made that Poch's biggest weakness was getting over the line, no manager in recent times has a better track record there than Jose.

An argument can also be made that Poch spent more years not pressing than he did pressing, and you have to go back quite a few years to remember his marauding Spurs sides. I'd also not judge Jose solely on his last year at United or his headline underdog victories in the CL, I remember plenty of games where his teams absolutely murdered us.

But his approach is very different to Pochs I agree
But surely the logic is that it wasnt working with Poch, we need a change. Do we go for another manager playing a pressing game or someone different

Poch stopped us pressing years ago.

We didn’t have financial constraints when we appointed Jose did we...

We don't have the money to replace a team built in Pochs image with a team built in José.
Few clubs can, so when a manager is replaced you would look for some form of continuity of outlook.
We seem to go for polar opposites. Makes it more of a task for the incoming manager.
In isolation there is sense to most of our appointments, but when you at what they are being handed to do it, not so much.

In some ways Levy and Mourinho are lucky that stadiums are closed at the moment. The atmosphere would be toxic at the moment.

I have a slight worry that as we slip down the league the demand for our most expensive tickets in the country will dwindle. The corporate £ will also reduce significantly (both through our slip down the league and so many businesses being on shaky ground due to the worldwide recession.

I think you underestimate the projected increase in revenue that the stadium will bring to the club - we have always been adrift of the big clubs financially* and first year in we've already moved above Chelsea/Arsenal - once the multipurpose aspect really kicks in we'll only have United and City with more clout imo

Obviously doesn't mean it'll be spent right or at sll but the stadium very much can be the game changer we want it to be

*at one point our revenue was closer to the bottom of the league than it was the side above us on the ladder iirc
We were ahead of Chelsea and Arsenal while we had (record) CL revenue and they were in the Europa League. Chelsea will overtake us again this season and move well ahead next. Arsenal may move back ahead next season with us having no European football at all.

Last edited:
Back