• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

WBDJ7

tommysvr

Chris Armstrong
I'm surprised there's not already a thread on this. 2 people murdered live on TV, gunman also films it on his phone and uploads to social media.

Of all the death and destruction in the world, this one seems to really hit home hard. Sickening, frightening. Just so unbelievable that you can't quite express what you've seen.

Time for America to act (or was that after the children were murdered in Sandy Hook.)

Again, the gun culture in the USA is too ingrained in their society. There are simply so many guns that criminals will always be able to easily attain one.

I'm not pro gun but it clearly isn't as simple as 'lets ban guns', and even if it was there is very, very little support in the US for UK style gun control.

And all of the above is why there is no thread on it - people become desensitised to it.

I have family in the US and lived there myself for a while and my reaction was very nonchalant to this and the one in a cinema a few weeks ago - more a reaction of "so what. This is not news, this is a business as usual".

There is no purpose for owning a gun other than to kill ( whatever the context), and America has either live with that or change
( that said, I did see one good justification a few weeks ago - friend of was out walking, looked down to see a rattle snake looking back up at him. My friend is a very good and calm shot. )

If I lived in 'Murrica, fudge Yeah! I'd own a gun.

Over here if my house gets broken into the criminal is likely to have a knife or a screwdriver at best. That's fine, I own claw hammers, an axe, even a set of Wusthof knives if I really had to use them.

If there's a decent possibility that they've got a gun though, then so will I.

Guns are bad and yes the world would be better of without them but if you and your family are at the risk of getting shot then a gun is the best deterrent. In Pakistan everyone has them, you need one displaying in your holster or you won't survive the day in some areas. Thank GHod we don't have that problem in this country.

Utter madness, but sadly, as already said, it's entirely unsurprising and it'll change absolutely nothing.

Over here if my house gets broken into the criminal is likely to have a knife or a screwdriver at best. That's fine, I own claw hammers, an axe, even a set of Wusthof knives if I really had to use them.

yeah, logical, although you are down the path of escalation then, if all the home owners have a pistol or a shotgun then maybe the criminal decides he needs an assault rifle, sooner or later you're sat in your den polishing your tactical nuke

the only way to stop this is to take all the guns away from everyone, which, with the amount of stupid in america, just isn't gonna happen

yeah, logical, although you are down the path of escalation then, if all the home owners have a pistol or a shotgun then maybe the criminal decides he needs an assault rifle, sooner or later you're sat in your den polishing your tactical nuke

the only way to stop this is to take all the guns away from everyone, which, with the amount of stupid in america, just isn't gonna happen
I think the escalation regarding guns is ridiculous.

That doesn't change the fact that the defence weapon(s) I keep at home will always be one up from what will likely be brought to me.

Its more about how (if) you can move backwards to a non gun culture
That's simply not possible in the US as guns are a historical part of what makes America, America. ( and of course what defines Murica as Murica)

Not even assassinations of presidents and presidents elect changed the culture dramatically.

Its more about how (if) you can move backwards to a non gun culture
That's simply not possible in the US as guns are a historical part of what makes America, America. ( and of course what defines Murica as Murica)

Not even assassinations of presidents and presidents elect changed the culture dramatically.

I'm sure it will happen one day, I'm not holding my breath that I'll see it though

The whole constitution arguement is a fallacy too. The constitution was written centuries ago, they could not possibly forsee assault weapons, hand grenades and tanks for example.

It makes you wonder how many more incidents and how many more lives will need to be lost before something is done about it.

I'm not sure f I buy the 'home self defense' argument. If I lived in the USA I'd keep it locked away, especially if I had children, at which point does it really become particularly useful for self defense?

I would almost certainly have a gun for some kind of sport if I lived in America, and I've even considered take up clay pigeon shooting here.

It is ingrained to such an extent that it becomes a bonding session when a parent takes their kid to get their first weapon. There was a documentary on it a while back. And there was me as a kid with my cowboy guns with those red roll caps or my spudgun - little did I know...

The whole constitution arguement is a fallacy too. The constitution was written centuries ago, they could not possibly forsee assault weapons, hand grenades and tanks for example.

It makes you wonder how many more incidents and how many more lives will need to be lost before something is done about it.

the constitution has been amended 27 times, if the will is there they can remove it

the constitution has been amended 27 times, if the will is there they can remove it

Gun culture is just so ingrained in their society that I'm skeptical that they can ever change. I wish a Democratic president cough cough Obama would do more to TRY and change the culture rather than offering platitudes whenever something like this occurs.

indeed, they need to wait until they fill the house then just force it through, it's generally only nutjob republicans (or as they are known, republicans) that are pro gun, which is fudging hilarious as most of the cnuts are "pro-life" as well

there's been a lot of issues with reduced voting rights in some parts of America, if they shifted the focus into taking the votes away from the holy redneck fudgers in the Bible Belt the country would be in a far better shape

indeed, they need to wait until they fill the house then just force it through, it's generally only nutjob republicans (or as they are known, republicans) that are pro gun, which is fudgeing hilarious as most of the cnuts are "pro-life" as well

there's been a lot of issues with reduced voting rights in some parts of America, if they shifted the focus into taking the votes away from the holy redneck fudgeers in the Bible Belt the country would be in a far better shape

That's not the case though. Regardless of what laws they pass, the Supreme Court has the power to nullify it by ruling it unconstitutional.

It again needs to be stated, even democrats have no appetite for UK style gun control. They would never get elected on that platform and if they did it without a mandate they would doom the party.

Back