• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ukraine

Anschluss? Where have we seen this movie before?

Hopefully it will never come to this, but worrying times.

neville-chamberlain-0002.jpg

more likely to see a US/UK 'shoulder to shoulder' round two. However, now with added Chinese spanner in the works.

That's more my worry... and it's not often I agree with you scara but yes the UN are a bunch of fannies. Which gives me concern as if they tell Putin to take it easy or we'll put sanctions on you he just goes ahead and declares Crimea part of Russia anyway. A bit like how when ever Kim Jong Un decideds he needs a bit of attention they all say "Don't test that bomb or we'll put sanct... oh, too late he's tested it."

But instead of dealing with some fart gas powered bombs it's a nation with more warheads then any other. The UN are there in name only, the real ones in charge are USA and they don't like getting their authority questioned.

Anyway, I resigned myself about 5 years ago to the fact that within my life time mutually assured destruction will take place at some time or another, just a matter of whether it's in the next 10 years or the next 60.

more likely to see a US/UK 'shoulder to shoulder' round two. However, now with added Chinese spanner in the works.

I don't think that will happen without UN involvement.

The 'special relationship' struggled to fight a nation of goat herders - there's no way they would take on Russia without a lot of help.

i probably don't know as much about this as I should, but haven't the people of crimea just voted for the owners of the tanks outside their house?

not hard to see which way that would go

i probably don't know as much about this as I should, but haven't the people of crimea just voted for the owners of the tanks outside their house?

not hard to see which way that would go

It's obviously fixed though, given the ammount of ethnic Russians in crimea I think the vote would certainly have gone in favour of Russia but 97%? Give off.

just noticed higher up that the "referendum" options were pretty much, absolutely, or definitely

i wonder what voter turn out was?

Like it says on my T shirt "Those who cast the votes decide nothing, Those who count the votes decide everything"...Josef Stalin

So, it seems as if an agreement has been found.

Russia got what it wanted (self-rule for the rebels - therefore they got Crimea) and Russia got what it wanted (prisoner releases), whilst the EU, NATO and most importantly Ukraine got none of what they wanted.

How the ****ing **** did that happen?

So, it seems as if an agreement has been found.

Russia got what it wanted (self-rule for the rebels - therefore they got Crimea) and Russia got what it wanted (prisoner releases), whilst the EU, NATO and most importantly Ukraine got none of what they wanted.

How the ****ing **** did that happen?[/QUOTE]

I'll have a go. Because it's a resource rich, European nuclear power state, with influential western allies (many of whom it supplies energy to and/or has trading arrangements with), which saw the through the laughably hypocritical posturing of the USA and Britain when they were pontificating about respecting the sovereignty of other nations and threatening it with 'sanctions'. In other words, it's not, say Iraq (apart from the resource rich bit).

I'll have a go. Because it's a resource rich, European nuclear power state, with influential western allies (many of whom it supplies energy to and/or has trading arrangements with), which saw the through the laughably hypocritical posturing of the USA and Britain when they were pontificating about respecting the sovereignty of other nations and threatening it with 'sanctions'. In other words, it's not, say Iraq (apart from the resource rich bit).

Good on you for having a go, but I think you missed by some margin ;)

The correct answer is that the EU and the UN are pantie-wringing fannies who wouldn't know a decision if it took it's c0ck out and slapped their bureaucratic faces with it. Which ironically is pretty much what Putin just did.

Good on you for having a go, but I think you missed by some margin ;)

The correct answer is that the EU and the UN are pantie-wringing fannies who wouldn't know a decision if it took it's c0ck out and slapped their bureaucratic faces with it. Which ironically is pretty much what Putin just did.

:lol: I'm nothing if not a trier.

Admittedly, my attempt wasn't quite as poetic as yours, but I'm not sure that our thinking on this is as wide apart as you suggest. Ultimately it comes down to everyone looking after their own interests and picking their battles. Who would have thought :-"

Back