• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

Will we see more high profile, expensive signings this summer?

Going by reports we still have more of the cash injection to use. Looks like the Bergwijn deal is more or less done. More outgoings are surely coming. Could end up getting decent fees for several players that are being linked with moves away.

Lenglet and Spence seems to be the incoming deals most likely to happen soonish. Neither is very expensive, both would be more or less covered by the Bergwijn sale.

Seems to me either we'll have real significant money left that we could have spent at the end of the window or we will make some more fairly expensive moves?

My ability to do number things in my head may be the issue. Just seems likely to me that even if we signed Lenglet, Spence and (just as an example) Bremer we'd still be able to spend quite a bit more if outgoings go as expected?

To be clear, either outcome is good. Not a bad thing to do smart deals that aren't as costly if we're getting the right players. Not saying we need to spend as much as possible. Just speculation on my part.

Will we see more high profile, expensive signings this summer?

Going by reports we still have more of the cash injection to use. Looks like the Bergwijn deal is more or less done. More outgoings are surely coming. Could end up getting decent fees for several players that are being linked with moves away.

Lenglet and Spence seems to be the incoming deals most likely to happen soonish. Neither is very expensive, both would be more or less covered by the Bergwijn sale.

Seems to me either we'll have real significant money left that we could have spent at the end of the window or we will make some more fairly expensive moves?

My ability to do number things in my head may be the issue. Just seems likely to me that even if we signed Lenglet, Spence and (just as an example) Bremer we'd still be able to spend quite a bit more if outgoings go as expected?

To be clear, either outcome is good. Not a bad thing to do smart deals that aren't as costly if we're getting the right players. Not saying we need to spend as much as possible. Just speculation on my part.
I think we need to treat Romero as if he was signed this summer, it sounds like the funds are due now, so should prob add his 30/40m(?) to the outgoings. Initial season loan then mandatory signing now.

I think we need to treat Romero as if he was signed this summer, it sounds like the funds are due now, so should prob add his 30/40m(?) to the outgoings. Initial season loan then mandatory signing now.

Think it was last Thursday when he technically became permanent I think, surprised there wasn't at least a tweet or something to acknowledge it.

We wouldn't deduct the remaining sum in one hit either, it's likely spread over the length of his contract, so 10/15m out tops from the injection for this instalment I would guess, same for any deal completed already I'd assume.

Think it was last Thursday when he technically became permanent I think, surprised there wasn't at least a tweet or something to acknowledge it.

We wouldn't deduct the remaining sum in one hit either, it's likely spread over the length of his contract, so 10/15m out tops from the injection for this instalment I would guess, same for any deal completed already I'd assume.
Yea there would be staggered payments like you say. Like the Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessengnon and Clarke ~£130m summer, reality is prob only ~25/30% of that would have been paid up front at the time.

Just generally though when we all do these maths in our head we take the headline number for total transfer and say that was “spent” this summer. I think we should include the Romero fee in this summer’s calcs.

Yea there would be staggered payments like you say. Like the Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessengnon and Clarke ~£130m summer, reality is prob only ~20% of that would have been paid up front at the time.

Just generally though when we all do these maths in our head we take the headline number for total transfer and say that was “spent” this summer. I think we should include the Romero fee in this summer’s calcs.

Oh of course, so the £28m coming in for Bergwijn covers Bissouma etc.

Just think in terms of the £150m that's there, or a portion that's available for transfers, there is likely a lot more left due to only paying a certain portion up front, but then again, agent fees aren't small, maybe the signing on fees... maybe some is used to bolster the wage bill etc.

I think if Lenglet and Spence come in this week, we sell a few more after Stevie, there is a fair chunk there for another, perhaps bigger name.

Yea I agree with you both, I think we still have plenty in the transfer kitty for a big signing or two especially when you factor in potential outgoing transfers as well. We’ve been very smart with the Forster and Perisic signings and Lenglet makes a lot of sense to me as well.

Yea there would be staggered payments like you say. Like the Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessengnon and Clarke ~£130m summer, reality is prob only ~25/30% of that would have been paid up front at the time.

The thing to remember when thinking that not all the total fee is paid upfront (ie installments) is that generally cuts both ways. So Bergwijn (eg) we might receive 8-10m euros upfront, also worth remembering that we are owed very little, as income, from transfers as things stand.

Although we have many potential sales to come:).

I think using transfer totals is ok, it gives you a general idea of the clubs overall commitment from season to season, just not the cash flow timeline.

Are we sure that the £150m cash injection was all for transfers? We made a loss of £148m across 19/20 and 20/21 - surely it could be that at least some of the cash injection was to cover those losses?

Are we sure that the £150m cash injection was all for transfers? We made a loss of £148m across 19/20 and 20/21 - surely it could be that at least some of the cash injection was to cover those losses?

I think it was about having cashflow. Being able to spend before we sell for once. Once Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks, Bergwijn and Rodon are sold later in the window, our net spend wont actually end up being that high.

The reporting at the time was that it was for investments on and off the pitch.

Paying fees outstanding for previous signings may be part of that I guess.

I think it was about having cashflow. Being able to spend before we sell for once. Once Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks, Bergwijn and Rodon are sold later in the window, our net spend wont actually end up being that high.

I think that's part of it, but not all.

By what extent it increases our ability to spend this summer is unknown I think.

So assuming reports on Bergwijn are correct, this is where we stand today:

IN: Richarlison, 60m; Bissouma, 29m; Perisic, free; Forster, free. Total: 89m
OUT: Bergwijn, 30m; CCV, 6m. Total: 36m

Balance: 53m

For every Spence (15m?), there is likely to be a Winks. Would be even better if we managed to sell (not loan out) GLC and perhaps one of Emerson & Reguilon. Bottom line: it looks like we're not finished spending yet, and there's probably plenty of money left even if we add the Romero fee to this summer.

5 over on non HG players for the Champions League according to Football London: https://www.football.london/tottenh...on-tottenham-homegrown-foreign-limit-24366373

Adding Lenglet would make it six, but Bergwijn out makes it five again.

I think we'll want to avoid not being able to register first team players for the CL.

To be careful with estimates perhaps we can disregard Gil and Sarr, possibly new loan deals for both, possibly sale for Gil. Perhaps we would be OK with having Sarr only for domestic competitions?

That makes it 3 over at the very least. GLC and Ndombele look very likely to leave. That still leaves us needing to sell at least one more non HG player at the very least. Then one non HG player out for every one in.

If Conte wants either of Gil or Sarr in the team and registered for the CL we need one more out.

5 over on non HG players for the Champions League according to Football London: https://www.football.london/tottenh...on-tottenham-homegrown-foreign-limit-24366373

I think we'll want to avoid not being able to register first team players for the CL.

To be careful with estimates perhaps we can disregard Gil and Sarr, possibly new loan deals for both, possibly sale for Gil. Perhaps we would be OK with having Sarr only for domestic competitions?

That makes it 3 over at the very least. GLC and Ndombele look very likely to leave. That still leaves us needing to sell at least one more non HG player at the very least. Then one non HG player out for every one in.

If Conte wants either of Gil or Sarr in the team and registered for the CL we need one more out.

Yes, HG-quota is a good prediction tool, because we know that the Club must be keeping an eye on this too. I don't think Conte is counting on either Gil or Sarr this season, and GLC/Ndombele are certainly not in his plans. So 1 must be the number right now - post-Lenglet. If we assume that we still have money left to make one more signature signing (Bremer, ideally Bastoni?), which I think we do, you would assume that both Emerson and Reguilon are pencilled in to leave. Unless that signature signing is HG, but if that's the case, they have done a stellar job of keeping things quiet.

Something like Moura out and Gordon in would make a lot of sense from this perspective.

Rodon will be gone i think.

The reporting at the time was that it was for investments on and off the pitch.

Paying fees outstanding for previous signings may be part of that I guess.

I think that's part of it, but not all.

By what extent it increases our ability to spend this summer is unknown I think.
I think overall it's just about having the money to do what we want when we want.

I don't think Paratici or Conte is going to spend it just because we have it ie for the sake of it. If they get their targets and the squad is how they want it, they are happy. Of course, having more can elevate the quality of player you are after.

Future windows all need financing.

The irony is, the mantra was 'he (Levy) better back the manager' but if we offload who we need too the net spend is not going to be ridiculous.

That said, I still think that we will still be opportunistic if something falls in our lap.

Last edited:
I think overall it's just about having the money to do what we want when we want.

I don't think Paratici or Conte is going to spend it just because we have it ie for the sake of it. If they get their targets and the squad is how they want it, they are happy. Of course, having more can elevate the quality of player you are after.

Future windows all need financing.

The irony is, the mantra was 'he (Levy) better back the manager' but if we offload who we need to the net spend is not going to be ridiculous.

That said, I still think that will would still be opportunistic if something falls in our lap.

There's also a tipping point when there's too much churn. When too many new faces become unsettling. The 6 or 7 we seem to be aiming for feels about right.

Most of the losses were covered by the £175m CCFF loan from the government that we then converted (paid back) via another long dated bond issue to American investors to the tune of £250m...so a bit extra to keep the wheels turning.

In that time if we had been successful in the transfer market we might not of needed this equity injection, but we do, and besides it's worth backing this horse.

Back