• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Policy

NaijaSpurs

Rafael Van Der Vaart
Our Transfer Policy Revisited

Our transfer policy over the last two years leaves a lot to be desired. Dating back to us qualifying for the CL but only ending up with VDV on the last day of the window.

Even in January 2011 when we had a legitimate shot at making the CL we bought nobody. Even last summer when we knew we needed a striker we still refused to buy anyone and only signed Adebayor on loan after we had 0 points out of 6 at the beginning of the season. And having Adebayor on loan meant when we had a chance of actually catching City we had to face them without Adebayor who was on loan.

And then there was this January when we were third and we were outsiders for the title we obviously needed a top striker and we ended up with that waste of space Saha. Everton were in the bottom third of the table but they, Everton, could not wait to pay him off and get him out of the club.

In the meantime Everton upgraded on Saha and have steadily moved up the table.

What makes things worse is how good Saudi Sportswashing Machine look with their new striker. As a team they look much more offensive than us and now look like they can score against anyone. I am so impressed with Saudi Sportswashing Machine that I am ready to concede that two African strikers are worth the risk even though you may lose them to the Nations Cup. If Saudi Sportswashing Machine can strength and get such quality up front then how come we can't? Our management have dropped the ball and we are now paying for it We have failed to purchase a quality striker over the last 6 transfer windows and that is just shocking - no excuse whatsoever.

Our management have royally fcuked up when it comes to transfers and they need to take some responsibility for our present situation

Last edited:
Agreed.

Hope they finally see sense and BUY a striker in the next window! Problem is, why would Llorente or Cavani come to Spurs if were not in the CL?

Centre back has needed sorting forever too; we never have a settled partnership. A nippy winger has been paramount and its pure luck that Benny hasn't been injured for the best part of three seasons or else we'd be totally fudged.

Damien+Comolli+LTZ9yWhGByBm.jpg

As has been said (repeatedly), Levy was probably unwilling to let Harry spend loads of money with the upcoming court case and the likelyhood of him leaving for England.

Had Harry really wanted the likes of Ba or Cabaye I think Levy would have brought them in. Even Cisse, ?ú10m is a decent chunk of money, but not the end all be all of transfers for us.

I think Saudi Sportswashing Machine deserve a lot of credit for their work in the transfer window, has been said that their head scout Graham Carr (I think it was) is getting a lot of the credit for targeting these players.

Pardew has to also take credit for making the final decision. Im sure he is given a list of names, he has to pick the best ones and he has done that so far (well apart from Obertan, Marveaux)

As has been said (repeatedly), Levy was probably unwilling to let Harry spend loads of money with the upcoming court case and the likelyhood of him leaving for England.

Dude, if we had bought top quality strikers a new manager would have been happy with whoever we got. Worst case scenario we only give the job to a manager who is happy to work with what we have. Lets face it no new manager is come in and say Bale or Modric are not good enough. It really depends on whether we buy quality or not, especially if that quality had helped us get into the CL

If we had bought Cisse instead of Saudi Sportswashing Machine I doubt any perpective new manager would have been complaining

When we first qualified for the CL, the legitimate reason why we didnt sign a decent CF was that we didnt know that we would make the league stages til the 3rd week of August.

More generally, the problem with our trasnfer policy as I said in the Harry thread is that the longer he stays as manager, the more the new guy will have to do as Harry is filling the squad with short-term loans or 33+ year old players. Look at the work which the new manager will have to do over the next 12-24 months:

GK: all 3 GKs will probably be leaving, 2 because they're very old and 1 as its simply best for all that we part company given he will now never win over some parts of our fans and definitely not the media
FB: probably ok
CB: 3 old guys to be released over the next 2-14 months and Khumalo will go. We have no top 4 standard CB. We need to build a CB pairing
CM: parker will probably be fine for another 2 years in him but the biggest job the new guy has is to keep modric
Winger: we have two decent winger but no cover or ability to rest these two. New guy also has to try to retain Bale
CF: we have one loanee and one who is old and very much past his best. So only two permanent players, out of which defoe turns 30 in October and therefore wont be solving his problems. Lots of work needed here

That leaves a lot of cash to be spent and looking at the spine of the team, we have an ancient keeper, we dont have a settled CB pairing nor pairing of 'owned' CFs. The new guy wont therefore be inheriting an established top class team and will have his work cut out

I think that reason is an extremely lame excuse. Even if I accepted it as a reason for not buying a striker in January (and I don't) what about the five previous transfer windows, how come we did not buy a striker then? It is not like we worrying about Harry going to England

Pardew has to also take credit for making the final decision. Im sure he is given a list of names, he has to pick the best ones and he has done that so far (well apart from Obertan, Marveaux)

Marveaux has been injured for quite a while.

Obertan is an abomination of a footballer though, can't believe he's managed to con as many clubs as he has into giving him a professional contract.

conflicts between Levy and Redknapp regarding targets....that explains everything regarding transfers

Obertan is an abomination of a footballer though, can't believe he's managed to con as many clubs as he has into giving him a professional contract.

obertan was the new Zidane didnt ya know

He just gets by on his looks/marketing potential

When we first qualified for the CL, the legitimate reason why we didnt sign a decent CF was that we didnt know that we would make the league stages til the 3rd week of August.

I would suggest that even if we did not make the CL we still needed to strength our side with a quality striker, how else are we to qualify for CL next time. No surprise we did not make CL last season

I would suggest that even if we did not make the CL we still needed to strength our side with a quality striker, how else are we to qualify for CL next time. No surprise we did not make CL last season

Clearly but its hard not to have some sympathy with the comments from Levy/harry etc that without CL football then you cant attract top class players but without top class players you cant really get CL football. We had 'ok' CFs (ie top 6-8 standard) but any CF in the ?ú20m - ?ú30m bracket wants CL football or ?ú100k per week or both

All our money has gone in buying property and land for the stadium project. They won't say so, hell they don't need to now everything can be kept away from prying eyes. I would love the fans to buy 5% to have a seat on the board.

Also the new training area.

Bank loans may also been paid with the new FFPR coming.

It does make me laugh though. Tottenham are using its earnings to build a new stadium yet the owners value of the club goes from ?ú150m to ?ú400m.

Now with the club having paid for this should the profit owners make be ploughed back into Tottenham.

If they use there own monies to build the stadium then fair enough take the profit.. you speculated your own money.

Basically its like UTD owners growing an asset that IMO is not theres by the club paying for it.

conflicts between Levy and Redknapp regarding targets....that explains everything regarding transfers

Yep. harry wants players like Freidel, Upson, Neville, Ryan fudging Nelsen, Parker, Saha, etc. levy wants players who have a re-sale value

Adam B I am glad you mentioned Khumalo, FFS if he was the answer what was the question? We sign a player who at 24 is not good enough to make our first team squad, and still is not. It was so obvious he was not good enough and still not good enough.

And what about Dos Santos? Lets forget about the fact that I rate him as a player. The important thing is that Harry obviously does not rate him, so instead of selling him in January we rejected a bid for him but since the window has closed we have played him for just 15 minutes. We were not happy with the offer we got in January and in the summer, but by not playing him his value continues to depreciate. Am I missing something? Is there a justifiable reason for not selling him if we do not rate him.

Our transfer policy worries me

Dude, if we had bought top quality strikers a new manager would have been happy with whoever we got. Worst case scenario we only give the job to a manager who is happy to work with what we have. Lets face it no new manager is come in and say Bale or Modric are not good enough. It really depends on whether we buy quality or not, especially if that quality had helped us get into the CL

If we had bought Cisse instead of Saudi Sportswashing Machine I doubt any perpective new manager would have been complaining

How do you define "top quality strikers"? Have there been many of those strikers available?

No new manager will complain about Bale or Modric of course, cause they have already succeeded. Just like no manager would complain about Cisse at Saudi Sportswashing Machine now, he has already succeeded. But what if we had brought in Carroll or Suarez? Two players we were linked with quite heavily. Again, had Harry gone to Levy and said "?ú10m, Cisse is the man I want, he will almost certainly be a top quality striker" I think Levy would have accepted.

It's bit too easy to say "just sign a top quality striker", from the perspective of Levy (and Harry) there is always a risk involved in any signing and while any new manager should be happy with what he gets I think it seems like a good idea to let a new manager work with a solid transfer budget to build a team in his own image.

Back