• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham vs Manchester United OMT

I know that mate, i think Poch and anyone sensible knew it too but Levy didn't have the stomach/areshole to see through a long term rebuild that requires a year of reduced performance.

Ultimately what I think done for poch was that we were at least 18 months ahead of schedule on the pitch.
A chance was there, we missed it.
I don't blame Levy, he knows what the club can afford.
I don't blame poch, it was there we had to go for it. To dare blah blah blah.
I do blame the players.
I only wish Levy and poch could have got together and compromised.

I would think so, though much of our downfall coincided with the sudden decline of Eriksen. He, not Kane was the engine in our team. Replacing him with the inferior Lo Celso was never going to cut it, without as you say, a full rebuild.
The mistake we made was never having an understudy for Eriksen. We needed one during the height of his reign, it would have helped Imus in the key movements as well made the transition to a post Eriksen era that much easier as his understudy would have already been fully integrated. No other "top side" has a single creative attacker in the squad, it's ridiculously poor squad building.

Didn't watch today's match. Any summary?

I know we lost but key moments?

United could and probably have had Pogba sent off after a few minutes for elbowing Aurier. MacTimenny should also have gone for a second yellow for his flick into Sons face which led to their opening goal being ruled out. We really only stood any chance if they only had 9 men on the pitch. Against 11 men it was like pygmies ( both physicality-wise and mentality-wise) against giants.

We did ok in the first half but were fortunate to go in one up. As usual, we completely stopped playing in the second half. Is it something Mourinho says or do we have a dodgy lasagne again? Our midfield gave up control and our full backs were really poor defensively. For me, Aurier was on the wrong side of Cavani for both their key goals. Reggie was too easily sold a dummy by Greenwood for the late third. Overall, a fair result.

The real problem, as I am getting tired of stating, has been our recruitment over several years. There were only two Mourinho buys ( and a loan) in the starting XI.

We need a root and branch clear out.

Ultimately what I think done for poch was that we were at least 18 months ahead of schedule on the pitch.
A chance was there, we missed it.
I don't blame Levy, he knows what the club can afford.
I don't blame poch, it was there we had to go for it. To dare blah blah blah.
I do blame the players.
I only wish Levy and poch could have got together and compromised.

That's pretty much my position too, stadium meant we couldn't over spend and by the time we could the damage of under investment was done.

Doesn't excuse appointing Mourinho though

I'm grateful I got to experience Spurs in a CL final once in my lifetime (even if moderately to heavily drunk), but in a way I agree. The decline started way ahead of that though, for reasons only the group knows of. Had we won it things might have looked differently, who knows. Though as a foundation for success we gained nothing. When we didn't win it we might as well not have been in it as it looks.

It brought expectations to ridiculous levels.
To get to a CL final without Kane and Wanyama and eriksen as cold as pickled herring is a feat in itself.

Lo Celso wasn't a like for like replacement, imv between him and Ndombele we were replacing the need for a solitary creative outlet
I know he wasn't a like for like, which I personally see as a problem. We went from having one of the best facilitators in the world, who also packed a mean shot if necessary, to having our world class target man as the only one able to make a through pass of value.

I know he wasn't a like for like, which I personally see as a problem. We went from having one of the best facilitators in the world, who also packed a mean shot if necessary, to having our world class target man as the only one able to make a through pass of value.

I thought it was a necessary move, no.10 type creative playmakers that teams rely so heavily on aren't really part of the modern game imo

Awaits someone showing that is a totally ill conceived opinion

I thought it was a necessary move, no.10 type creative playmakers that teams rely so heavily on aren't really part of the modern game imo

I agree
You need at least two options
Today for United again against a BIG side Fernandes wasn’t really the player
Pogba thiugh was...
he stepped up and made the difference

Not going to be me, everything is about opinions. If I had stone cold facts I would have kicked Mourinho out myself and taken his place, even for a VERY short amount of time. But I'm not sure about a great no. 10 being obsolete, perhaps they're just a bit harder to come by these days if you want to buy the finished article. If we had N'Dombele or Højbjerg alongside or behind Eriksen in his good era, we would've won the league. IMHO of course.

Poch was done here, he didn’t want to stay. He lost the players. Love the guy but it was over. Don’t blame Levy for gambling on Mourinho. ‘A proven winner’. It seems Ancelotti wouldn’t have been any better. What other established coaches were out there? A brick show but it’s all pretty understandable and hard to avoid.

One Poch comment has been dinned out on as 'he was done here'. All his comment was saying was 'what can you achieve after winning the CL'. Poch was shocked to be sacked as were the players.

Many at the time were saying - careful what you wish for. What was obvious to me was Pochettino elevated average players. And that we'd likely see some drop-off from the more mediocre players in the squad. What I thought we'd also see was more structure on the pitch and greater tactical nous from Mourinho. Who could say we have had any of that, or any improvements at all for that matter?

Not going to be me, everything is about opinions. If I had stone cold facts I would have kicked Mourinho out myself and taken his place, even for a VERY short amount of time. But I'm not sure about a great no. 10 being obsolete, perhaps they're just a bit harder to come by these days if you want to buy the finished article. If we had N'Dombele or Højbjerg alongside or behind Eriksen in his good era, we would've won the league. IMHO of course.

My opinion is you become beholden to playing through a single player which causes problems when they are off form or not available, a great no.10 will always be a valuable player but they are few and far between

One Poch comment has been dinned out on as 'he was done here'. All his comment was saying was 'what can you achieve after winning the CL'. Poch was shocked to be sacked as were the players.

Many at the time were saying - careful what you wish for. What was obvious to me was Pochettino elevated average players. And that we'd likely see some drop-off from the more mediocre players in the squad. What I thought we'd also see was more structure on the pitch and greater tactical nous from Mourinho. Who could say we have had any of that, or any improvements at all for that matter?

winning it again, better

It brought expectations to ridiculous levels.
To get to a CL final without Kane and Wanyama and eriksen as cold as pickled herring is a feat in itself.
And our energy overload system hid weaknesses that became glaringly obvious as soon as said system fell apart. I have mentioned earlier that it's quite scary that Sissoko went from being an eternal benchwarmer to a regular starter within 12 months in roughly the same player core, without improving one iota.

My opinion is you become beholden to playing through a single player which causes problems when they are off form or not available, a great no.10 will always be a valuable player but they are few and far between
Nothing wrong with having a great N10 but you also need another creative player in the side. Like Subzero said Ndombele in midfield with Eriksen ahead could have been magic.

The mistake we made was never having an understudy for Eriksen. We needed one during the height of his reign, it would have helped Imus in the key movements as well made the transition to a post Eriksen era that much easier as his understudy would have already been fully integrated. No other "top side" has a single creative attacker in the squad, it's ridiculously poor squad building.
https://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/ne...mistake-in-selling-perfect-sigurdsson-3540800

upload_2021-4-11_20-27-43.jpeg

I would think so, though much of our downfall coincided with the sudden decline of Eriksen. He, not Kane was the engine in our team. Replacing him with the inferior Lo Celso was never going to cut it, without as you say, a full rebuild.
Agreed.... though it was Grealish that Poch wanted to replace Eriksen (the player who has created the most chances in the PL this season I believe so a good choice).

A great no. 10 will of course never be off form or unavailable. Joke aside, a great no. 10 is mainly what separated us from being title contenders to where we are now. Let's not fool ourselves, players like Winks, Sissoko, Lamela, Moura, Alli have not improved or regressed much, it's just that their shortcomings are being doubly exposed outside the high energy and focused system we no longer have. All of our movement up top that highly praised is gone again. No one makes runs apart from our wide players. There's no intent in what we do. That is down to Mourinho. Winks cannot be expected to do something he wasn't able to do in the first place. Dier is no CB, he's either a DM or a championship player. Sanchez never looked solid outside having Vertoby as babysitters, and even then it was just "potential". Everything was built upon moving the ball forward to Eriksen and the rest either making runs, luring defenders or stay the hell away.

Again as you say, either we replace Eriksen and keep a system the players know (but might not have the fitness for anymore), or we rebuild. Or we could be happy fighting for Europa League again.

Back