• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***** Tottenham v Palace Birds *****

Na, they’re weak. Theyll embarrass themselves a few more times this season. It’s only 3 weeks since they were getting brick for losing to Everton badly.

That said, while I’m delighted with us under Conte, he hasn’t really beaten anyone yet. Leeds, Brentford, Norwich and Palace is good but you’d expect to beat all those teams at home (even if you can always slip up in one of those games). He’s also had most of his games at home. A lot proven by Conte but still more to prove.

Hopefully he can get us to top 4 but I’ll pretty much guarantee you something. If we don’t get it, Woolwich certainly won’t.
Yeah, but it was a good run of games to get the team to absorb his tactics. Once we play the tougher games the players will be in better shape and better drilled. And the confidence will be much higher coming from a run of wins and a draw-that-should-have-been-a-win against Pool.

So all-in-all, I think the schedule, including the cancelled games, has worked out great thus far.

Yeah, but it was a good run of games to get the team to absorb his tactics. Once we play the tougher games the players will be in better shape and better drilled. And the confidence will be much higher coming from a run of wins and a draw-that-should-have-been-a-win against Pool.

So all-in-all, I think the schedule, including the cancelled games, has worked out great thus far.

Like we saw v Liverpool - theoretically our counter attacking style should suit the bigger games

If we can reduce the 6 point gap to 3/0 by the time we've played them as well as having the games in hand then we will be in a great position

Goons' next game has been postponed. They get more rest before they meet Emirates Marketing Project on new year's day (which they will hopefully lose anyway) and we get a chance to cut the deficit

I think you'll be proven right and I'm extremely happy with his progress so far but I guess we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Our away record under him was a 0-0 draw against a dreadful Everton and a 3-2 defeat to some Slovenian pig farmers. I know it's a very small sample size and there are extenuating circumstances within those games but away form has been very patchy for a few years now.

Not to mention that this club has a habit of dangling the carrot before punching you in the face.

I thought we were fairly poor today.
We ran out very comfortable winners of course, once Zaha got a red.
But we were poor and were pushed back with our only solution to give it to Sanchez so he could launch it forwards.
And don't get me started on Hojbjerg, he was atrocious again, so so poor on the ball.
Very pleased we won, but that was a poor showing from a bunch of frightened players at NWHL, who only blossomed once we went ahead.

I'd say Son and Moura were good, Kane and Skipp decent, apart from that a bunch of cowards who dare not take the ball and show us some class.

But we were poor and were pushed back with our only solution to give it to Sanchez so he could launch it forwards.
And don't get me started on Hojbjerg, he was atrocious again, so so poor on the ball.
Very pleased we won, but that was a poor showing from a bunch of frightened players at NWHL, who only blossomed once we went ahead.

I'd say Son and Moura were good, Kane and Skipp decent, apart from that a bunch of cowards who dare not take the ball and show us some class.

You can only beat whats in front of you, and impossible to say what would have happened had they not had a man sent off

However I do agree about our CM, and posted as such elsewhere. PEH is our weakest player at the moment and its the main area in our starting 11 which we could do with improving in Jan. Other back-ups (RB, GK, CF etc) need improving, and our LCB can always be improved, but Skipp's partner in CM is the biggest gap IMO

I was disappointed to see Skipp and Hojboj in midfield, they were overrun again 2v3 and are not good enough on the ball.
And Tanganga was of course very muddled trying to play a "left footed position" where he always cut back onto his right.
It wasn't good at all.

A great outcome, but a poor match from quite a few players.

Could be persuaded to agree with you perhaps, but it depends on what the plan actually was and what we'll see moving forward.

I think with Conte it's clear that he'll accept periods of less initiative. Be patient without the ball, wait for the moment to pounce (usually a counter attack).

Question becomes, what's our ability to switch gears when that doesn't work? I think we've seen very positive signs in that regard in other games.

For this one. No Romero, no Davies. Probably still feeling some covid impacts. Another game on Tuesday. If the plan was patience first, we'll get our chances or we'll be able to switch gears - I think that's fine.

If the plan was to go out, press them, dominate, be ambitious on the ball - poor showing, got away with it.

I was disappointed to see Skipp and Hojboj in midfield, they were overrun again 2v3 and are not good enough on the ball.
And Tanganga was of course very muddled trying to play a "left footed position" where he always cut back onto his right.
It wasn't good at all.

A great outcome, but a poor match from quite a few players.

My guess is that Tanganga only played to keep Davies fresh for Tuesday

Reggie will probably have to play LWB again so having a fresh LCB helps

I could see Davies, Winks, Bergwijn and maybe Doherty and/or Dele coming in on Tues.

1 greedy goal, 2 greedy assists, I'll take that.

No complaints for me about him either, obviously, but I was annnoyed when he didn't let the ball run for Reggie on two occations near the end.

should have course have something to do with me having Reggie in my fantasy team. :D

Really? I thought we looked very comfortable. Sure, we were soaking up some early pressure, but very rarely in a PL match do you dominate from start to finish. We let them run out of steam while controlling fairly well, in my opinion, my I'm on my Spurs happy pills these days. :p

How good is Skipp though?! Jesus! We have a gem on our hands. :D

I think you'll be proven right and I'm extremely happy with his progress so far but I guess we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Our away record under him was a 0-0 draw against a dreadful Everton and a 3-2 defeat to some Slovenian pig farmers. I know it's a very small sample size and there are extenuating circumstances within those games but away form has been very patchy for a few years now.

Not to mention that this club has a habit of dangling the carrot before punching you in the face.
I know that home field advantage is a thing, but rightly or wrongly I don't put too much stock in it. A well drilled team should not really be affected much even if playing away from home. And I do expect us to be a well drilled team by the time we have to make up all those games.

I know that home field advantage is a thing, but rightly or wrongly I don't put too much stock in it. A well drilled team should not really be affected much even if playing away from home. And I do expect us to be a well drilled team by the time we have to make up all those games.

Maybe not the best teams are that much affected by it, but most teams seem to be. You've got to think going into a familiar environment and not having to travel (and possibly stay at a hotel) before a match would help you somewhat - but I don't think the support in the stands necessarily mean all that much (as this study seems to suggest as well):

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/mar/31/football-teams-retain-home-advantage-no-crowd-study

Back