• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheriff Tiraspol OMT ***

You think Chivers got his record playing against Barcelona, Milan etc?
Fact is like Soldado and Defoe he scored twice against Dinamo Tbilsi. Five of his goals came against Lyn Oslo.
Then there's Rapid Bucarest, Keflavik, Wolves, Grasshoppers and Lokomotiv Leipzig and some more.

I know what you are saying, but it was a different world then, away goals counted double for a reason, Bucharest, Leipzig and Tblisi were effectively national teams put together to emphasise the might of communism

it was a much more even tournament than it is now and with all due respect to Defoe does anyone really believe he's up there with Chivers who was arguably the best CF in the world for a couple of years

Townsend is so one dimensional it's painful.. He's selfish and greedy and if he doesn't score a wonder goal he's basically useless.

Townsend is so one dimensional it's painful.. He's selfish and greedy and if he doesn't score a wonder goal he's basically useless.

Very insightful. Don't forget to mention how inexperienced he is at this level. Ooops, you did.

The 'criticism' Townsend gets on here is utterly pathetic.

Agreed. Even if his end product is erratic (or '****' as some like to say) the fact that he draws two and sometimes three defenders allows us to go forward (and score very few goals) more easily.

Agreed. Even if his end product is erratic (or '****' as some like to say) the fact that he draws two and sometimes three defenders allows us to go forward (and score very few goals) more easily.

But if he's not providing goals, which he doesn't do enough for a winger then he should be doing the role of a wide forward, which involves scoring goals, again something he hasn't done enough for us.

He's impressive because he runs really fast at and often past defenders, but too regularly he wastes opportunities to put balls in the box in exchange for shooting hopefully.. It can be highly frustrating.

I don't doubt that he is a fantastic athlete and a decent prospect, that is not open for debate, but much like his England compatriot Kyle Walker I really do question his mental strength and decision making ability at times.

That is something he needs to develop, but it's a trait one Erik Lamela already has in spades, intelligence is tough to teach.

But if he's not providing goals, which he doesn't do enough for a winger then he should be doing the role of a wide forward, which involves scoring goals, again something he hasn't done enough for us.

He's impressive because he runs really fast at and often past defenders, but too regularly he wastes opportunities to put balls in the box in exchange for shooting hopefully.. It can be highly frustrating.

I don't doubt that he is a fantastic athlete and a decent prospect, that is not open for debate, but much like his England compatriot Kyle Walker I really do question his mental strength and decision making ability at times.

That is something he needs to develop, but it's a trait one Erik Lamela already has in spades, intelligence is tough to teach.

All good points. I hope that Townsend will continue to evolve at Spurs and achieve his potential and also think that the less nuanced criticisms of him on here are simply insults thrown at a young prospect.

He is a frustrating player, but take his fearlessness and pace and other attributes and refine them and there is the chance of a truly impactful player.

His form and Lamela's need to settle in to life in England have thrown him into the first team more often than might have been planned.

As for his mental strength, the fact that he came back on after his tumble into that photographers pit speaks volumes of his desire to play and help the team.

COYS!!!

Big Chiv inspires JD to break record

A5998_zps01f06047.jpg

Jermain Defoe took inspiration from a chance meeting with Martin Chivers during half-time of Thursday night's Europa League encounter against FC Sheriff at the Lane.

Twenty minutes later, Jermain was celebrating overtaking ‘Big Chiv’ as our all-time top goalscorer in European competition.

JD rifled a penalty into the top corner in the 67th minute to register goal number 23 for us in Europe.

He started the night level with legendary fellow striker Martin on 22 and after a goalless first half, their paths crossed at the interval after Martin was interviewed pitchside.

“I saw Martin at half-time and he said ‘keep going, you can do it, you can break the record’ and that calmed me down a bit,” revealed Jermain.

“It’s crazy how it all happened. I came down the tunnel and he was there, smiling. He wanted me to do it and it’s fantastic. It really means a lot. He’s a legend at this club and to be at the top now, I’m delighted.

“It’s an amazing feeling. It’s not really sunk in yet.”

Erik Lamela played a key role as we secured a 2-1 victory against the Moldovan champions to book a place in the last 32 of the competition with two group matches remaining.

The winger opened the scoring with his first goal for the club on 59 minutes before being brought down for a penalty.

There was only going to be one taker!

“When we got the penalty, I was confident I was going to score,” added Jermain. “I waited for the goalkeeper to move and I thought ‘I’ll just whip this’ and yes, like I said before, some things are just meant to be.

“I thought Erik was fantastic. It’s not easy for a youngster to come into this country and settle straight away. It takes time.

“It was a great performance from the first whistle and when he scored his goal, that was brilliant for him.”

Does it though? If Townsend takes 5-6 touches frequently and then draws the attention of those defenders the rest of the opponents get ample time to get organized. Unless Townsend can then beat all of the opponents he draws close or he can find the right pass at the right time to exploit the space those 2-3 opponents have left what good does it do us?

So far he's not really shown himself capable of finding that right pass. Set him up one on one with a full back or defender with the chance to skin him down the outside to put a cross in or to shift inside and shoot and he's obviously a very good threat. But overall for ability to get forward and particularly to help us break down stubborn defensive sides I don't see the great benefit to what Townsend is doing at the moment unless he starts hammering in wonder goals.

The 'criticism' Townsend gets on here is utterly pathetic.

Exactly, like people are willing him to **** up or resent the praise he gets. Just can't understand the mindset of this. He's no world beater but he's been our best attacker this year do why c@nt him off?

Back