• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs ASTON VILLA - OMT

No. Good teams break down defensive teams and score against them. We have enough players available to us that we shouldn't see the recurring pattern of us not being able to manufacture goal scoring opportunities.

This may or may not be the case. Assuming that it is true this has little to do with subs from the bench or player selection and more to do with coaching, movement patterns and so on as it's a problem we experience pretty much regardless of our line-up.

With that I will call it a night for this discussion, I will even let you have the last word if you'd like :)

You accept that luck and coincidence can play a part in one game? If you do I don't see how you can argue that it won't influence league standings after 38 games.

Say a team has played 36 games and for whatever reason their luck and coincidences have lined up so that they have gotten exactly the amount of points and the goal difference they deserved based on point. They find themselves less than 3 points ahead of teams behind them and less than 3 points behind teams ahead of them. They then play another game, and luck or coincidence influences their result one way or another and as a result of that their league position is changed.

If you win, you were good enough.

If you don't win, you obviously weren't good enough.

Just back in from Villa Park. Havent read throught the OMT 67 pages...wow!

All I can say is, disappointed, obviously, that we didnt win, but..down to 10 men and Given wins their MOTM, you wouldnt have known. Could have been worse it could have stayed 1-0
Didnt get the Parker/VDV substitution, assumed at the time we were settling for a point
From a distance looked like the Rose red was harsh, but cant believe some of the fouls Villa got away with.

And finally......outstanding support from the Away following, some of the loudest I've been in for a long time. Credit to all those there. Despite the result, I was a proud Spurs fan this afternoon

I thought Parker - VDV substitution was dead on. VDV is not 100% fit, has not been the whole season. He was too tired. We had to keep the ball to win and therefor hold the middle with 10 men. Dont see why some people here think otherwise. I thought it was a good performance, Rose was very stupid but we coped well. The only thing I??m very annoyed with is t onhe fact that we had 18 cornerkicks and did not threaten the goal from them, and also, why on earth was Bale not glued to the wing!?

anyway, not happy but not unhappy

I think that's a very sane and level-headed analysis.

If you win, you were good enough.

If you don't win, you obviously weren't good enough.

It's not that simple though is it? Hypothetically, if Clark's shot misses Gallas' head by an inch and goes straight into Friedel's arms, we would have won 1-0 despite not having done anything differently.

(I appreciate that the whole game would have been different if Villa hadn't scored then, but I'm just talking hypothetically).

Still, I appreciate that we didn't win because we didn't create and / or take anough chances. Who knows what would have happened if Rose hadn't got sent off.

Just got back and am sorry to say we blew it bringing Parker on when we needed a goal was madness, Villa were there for the taking and even with 10 men ( Rose deserved his red card) we should have won the game.

The sending off was bound to happen sooner or later, Rose is not a LB and i have said that for a while. It is not the first reckless tackle he has made this season and it is because he has never posistion himself as a defender which leads to him making a lot of last ditch tackles ( those who have seen him will know that he does it nearly every game, but he has got away with it up to today)Its not his fault that he is played out of posistion but he never will be a good enough LB in the Prem.

I think Rose was unfortunate in all honesty. Nzogbia definitely played a part in him going over the top in the Hutton challenge.

Just got back and am sorry to say we blew it bringing Parker on when we needed a goal was madness, Villa were there for the taking and even with 10 men ( Rose deserved his red card) we should have won the game.

The sending off was bound to happen sooner or later, Rose is not a LB and i have said that for a while. It is not the first reckless tackle he has made this season and it is because he has never posistion himself as a defender which leads to him making a lot of last ditch tackles ( those who have seen him will know that he does it nearly every game, but he has got away with it up to today)Its not his fault that he is played out of posistion but he never will be a good enough LB in the Prem.

What did you think of the atmosphere? I thought it was superb today. The Villa fans really got some stick back today too, although I would have preferred more pro-Spurs chanting than anit-Villa. Still. Good day out only spoiled by the final result

What did you think of the atmosphere? I thought it was superb today. The Villa fans really got some stick back today too, although I would have preferred more pro-Spurs chanting than ain't-Villa. Still. Good day out only spoiled by the final result

I think we always have a good atmosphere when we are away, Villa generally are a good crowd to have a bit of banter with but they are tinkled of with Mcleish ( not that i blame them).

I think Rose was unfortunate in all honesty. Nzogbia definitely played a part in him going over the top in the Hutton challenge.

I think he knew he was in trouble, what with his play-acting holding his head and sneaking a look at the ref while on the ground. It was a real double blow for us, losing both him and Hutton!

I think we always have a good atmosphere when we are away, Villa generally are a good crowd to have a bit of banter with but they are tinkled of with Mcleish ( not that i blame them).

Totally agree. Thought they were quite funny when they took the mick after we thought we had equalised just before HT, although we did get our own back later.

It's not that simple though is it? Hypothetically, if Clark's shot misses Gallas' head by an inch and goes straight into Friedel's arms, we would have won 1-0 despite not having done anything differently.

(I appreciate that the whole game would have been different if Villa hadn't scored then, but I'm just talking hypothetically).

Still, I appreciate that we didn't win because we didn't create and / or take anough chances. Who knows what would have happened if Rose hadn't got sent off.

Well no, if we were good enough, we would have scored more then villa. so we weren't.

I remember Opta said Villa had the worst record for conceding goals from corners in the league. You could sense their fans getting worried after giving away each corner. :lol: They shouldnt have been bothered!

i don't think i'll be watching it if we end up 4th. probably stick a large bet on chelsea for consolation money and check the result later.

Its been a few hours, but i've finally come to terms with yesterday's result.

Bearing in mind we went 1-0 down completely against the run of play, to a freak goal, and had a player sent off, i think the way we responded to get the goal back, and absolutely BATTER them gives me enough confidence to suggest that we haven't re-entered our blip, and we were just extremely unfortunate not to pick up all three points. Theres only one thing we seriously need to address and that is our set pieces, which (not just today) were absolutely disgraceful, bear in mind that Aston Villa have conceded the most goals from set pieces than any other team in the league, and you'll then understand that to not score (or even go close) from 18 corners, is just not good enough.

Before the Arsenal/Norwich game, most of us on here thought it would be West Brom that were the likelier team to do us a favour, except Norwich proved us wrong and managed to snatch a draw, which gave us the opportunity to move into third place, which unfortunately, we couldn't take. But we didn't expect to be given the chance, well, the majority didn't anyway.

Whilst it would be perfectly acceptable to be annoyed by this, it shouldn't detract us from the fact that we all thought it would be West Brom to do us a favour, and they still could. Arsenal have hit a blip, and were starting to look good again. Were a point on Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and they've got a tough away fixture at Everton to come.

Were at home infront of 30,000 yids. Our champions league destiny is out of our hands, but the best we can do is beat fulham, then hope West Brom do us a favour. If not, Bayern need to do us a favour. But i for one am confident that we'll be hearing the champions league anthem again at WHL next season, and we deserve it, because blip aside, we have been awesome this season.

COYS

Back