• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Alas, your formation adds the non goal scoring Lamela and takes away the goal scoring Chadli

Sure. Chadli could certainly swap in for Lamela based on form, fitness, etc. Pritchard could also come in for Eriksen etc. I just was kind of thinking of it as wing play was one of our weakest points last season, and this would get Rose (who was probably our best wide attacker last year) and Walker (our best one the year before) closer to goal and utilizing their strengths.

I hope now that we have signed him we do not find out that he only looked good because he was playing behind Schneiderlin. Remember how everybody thought Dejan Lovren was a quality defender playing behind Schneiderlin and then he signed for Liverpool :D

Not me. Never rated Lovren after seeing soldado dump him on his arse

He always looked clumsy and slow to me

Sure. Chadli could certainly swap in for Lamela based on form, fitness, etc. Pritchard could also come in for Eriksen etc. I just was kind of thinking of it as wing play was one of our weakest points last season, and this would get Rose (who was probably our best wide attacker last year) and Walker (our best one the year before) closer to goal and utilizing their strengths.
See my post in the defence thread

Think yourselves lucky he's not from Conamara, or he'd be spelling it Áldarmhéireailt. How would you deal with that?

I hope now that we have signed him we do not find out that he only looked good because he was playing behind Schneiderlin. Remember how everybody thought Dejan Lovren was a quality defender playing behind Schneiderlin and then he signed for Liverpool :D

Our hope is he has a season in the PL (in a disciplined defense) and he's played over a 100 games with Verts, so the settling in should be quick.

We still need midfield strengthening to get the best out of our defense however ...

Think yourselves lucky he's not from Conamara, or he'd be spelling it Áldarmhéireailt. How would you deal with that?
I think Alderweireld could be added to the commentators' favourite team.
am8zARj_700b_v4.jpg

Our hope is he has a season in the PL (in a disciplined defense) and he's played over a 100 games with Verts, so the settling in should be quick.

We still need midfield strengthening to get the best out of our defense however ...

Yes we do or we will not progress.

I was really happy when we signed him, he has always been a player who I have rated and his partnership with Jan is going to be a very good one.

I thought he was pretty good overall, great debut. The highlight for me was seeing him skip past a few United defenders on the right flank, far more exciting than what some of our other players produced.

After Tottenham let a two goal lead slip at the weekend - new signing Toby Alderweireld praised his former Southampton teammates.

Speaking to London24, Alderweireld explained that his former teammates excelled at shielding the defence, putting himself and the rest of the back four under less pressure.

Alderweireld conceded a penalty in the 2-2 home draw with Stoke City, and offered an apology for his mistake too.

He said: "I think you have to play better because if you don’t play football any more they can keep putting pressure on you, put more guys in the box and then it’s very difficult to defend every ball.

"At Southampton, Victor Wanyama and [Morgan] Schneiderlin put good pressure on so the opposition didn’t have time to put the ball in the box. It makes it easier for defenders.

"I think everybody worked very hard for each other and tried to do their best, and of course maybe if I didn’t concede the foul for the penalty it would have been different."

He was not bemoaning the effort of his Spurs teammates, but the execution and quality clearly was not of the standard he got used to last season.

Spurs started Ryan Mason and Eric Dier in the midfield, although the former was substituted for Nabil Bentaleb in the 68th minute with the score a 2-0. Exciting teenager Dele Alli was an unused substitute.

Even had he re-signed at Southampton however, Alderweireld would not have had the same luxury as he did last season, with Morgan Schneiderlin sold to Manchester United.

Perhaps he would like it if Spurs would submit an offer for Victor Wanyama to help him out.

any defence would look better with Schneiderlin in front, just look what he is now doing for Utd. Said it all along, he will be the signing of the summer.

have to say though disappointed with Alderweireld and the way he gave away the pen. For an experienced player he should have done a lot better

Back