• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
ginger jesus.

Alexi%20Lalas.jpg

My impression is that the media - and perhaps England fans - are way, way over-estimating yesterday's England performance.

Straight after the game, Gabrial Clarke asked Gerrard "Can this team just get better and better?" This is exactly the kind of question that was asked of the "Golden Generation" time and time again after sluggish starts to championships. It seems Clarke was falling back into the same old clich?®s, and many commentators seem to be going down the same road today. It's once again the triumph of hope over reality (and as noble and natural as that attitude is in sport, it can also be negative if there's nothing to back it up).

One really cannot ignore that for most the second half it was like an away game for England. Why was this? It's a Euro's game packed full of England fans in the stands. And yet England got pushed back and back as though they were playing in Paris and really were in self-preservation mode for the last half hour. The stats:

France England
Goal attempts 21 - 5
Shots on target 7 - 1
Corners 11 - 4
Possession 65% - 35%
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/match/2012/jun/11/france-v-england

I thought England were ok yesterday, and with Rooney back they'll improve. But if I were an England fan I'd think long and hard about yesterday's game before getting too hyped up. England were second best by quite a distance as the stats show.

I wouldn't read too much into the post match interview. Nothing of any real note was said and it was ITV after all.

I think what might be telling is the positive reaction to the England display, which was as you say rather poor. This tells me the expectation levels are certainly not as high seeing how positive the reaction was to a rather dull draw with a superior French team. England were happy with the draw.

I wouldn't read too much into the post match interview. Nothing of any real note was said and it was ITV after all.

I think what might be telling is the positive reaction to the England display, which was as you say rather poor. This tells me the expectation levels are certainly not as high seeing how positive the reaction was to a rather dull draw with a superior French team. England were happy with the draw.

I would say that's a good thing. England should be happy with a draw against the toughest team in the group.

What of the attacking England players would get into that French side? Young over Malouda is pretty clear to me, Gerrard is better than Cabaye, but not by all that much these days and you would almost have Cabaye over Gerrard in a squad as Gerrard is quite likely to miss out sooner or later with his fitness problems.

My impression is that the media - and perhaps England fans - are way, way over-estimating yesterday's England performance.

Straight after the game, Gabrial Clarke asked Gerrard "Can this team just get better and better?" This is exactly the kind of question that was asked of the "Golden Generation" time and time again after sluggish starts to championships. It seems Clarke was falling back into the same old clich?®s, and many commentators seem to be going down the same road today. It's once again the triumph of hope over reality (and as noble and natural as that attitude is in sport, it can also be negative if there's nothing to back it up).

One really cannot ignore that for most the second half it was like an away game for England. Why was this? It's a Euro's game packed full of England fans in the stands. And yet England got pushed back and back as though they were playing in Paris and really were in self-preservation mode for the last half hour. The stats:

France England
Goal attempts 21 - 5
Shots on target 7 - 1
Corners 11 - 4
Possession 65% - 35%

I thought England were ok yesterday, and with Rooney back they'll improve. But if I were an England fan I'd think long and hard about yesterday's game before getting too hyped up. England were second best by quite a distance as the stats show.

this

France England
Goal attempts 21 - 5
Shots on target 7 - 1
Corners 11 - 4
Possession 65% - 35%

Reports were that there are maximum 5000 English fans there. According to all the papers there were a huge number of Russian fans there (some wearing england jerseys) chanting "russia, russia".

I expect it to really kick off at the Ukraine England game with England jersey clad Russians having a go at the Ukrainians.

The way i see the england team.

Very good goalkeeper

Solid organised defence with as much protection as you need from parker/gerrard

Good chance at scoring from set plays

Goodish chance with goodish players to score counter-attacking goals. Maybe one player will step up?

Greece won it with probably only a set play threat.

We will probably come up short but its nice to have an easy picture of what we are, rather than the superstar expectations of the past.

The way i see the england team.

Very good goalkeeper

Solid organised defence with as much protection as you need from parker/gerrard

Good chance at scoring from set plays

Goodish chance with goodish players to score counter-attacking goals. Maybe one player will step up?

Greece won it with probably only a set play threat.

We will probably come up short but its nice to have an easy picture of what we are, rather than the superstar expectations of the past.

Good assessment.

CzechRep team: Cech; Gebre Selassie, Sivok, Kadlec, Limbersky; Plasil, Hubschman; Jiracek, Rosicky, Pilar; Baros.

Greece: Chalkias; Torosidis, K Papadopoulos, Katsouranis, Holebas; Fotakis, Maniatis, Karagounis; Salpigidis, Samaras, Fortounis

CzechRep team: Cech; Gebre Selassie, Sivok, Kadlec, Limbersky; Plasil, Hubschman; Jiracek, Rosicky, Pilar; Baros.

Greece: Chalkias; Torosidis, K Papadopoulos, Katsouranis, Holebas; Fotakis, Maniatis, Karagounis; Salpigidis, Samaras, Fortounis

Gonna be an ugly game.

So, going by the France game England don't exactly look like world beaters..

but after the first round of games, who exactly does? Russia probably, but I didn't actually watch their game...

Back