• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The January Centre Midfield thread

I think this needs it's own thread as this is a critical position that needs adding to urgently. Who though? i mean name names? what type of cm do we need? who is realistic...

Personally i think Moutinho won't happen so i'm looking at other potential targets that could do a job similar to him but there's not many about..

* Defour maybe? but will Porto sell?

* I've heard good things about Benat from Betis

* Willian in CM? but doubt that will work out well.

*Pjanic? extremely talented but as a cm? hmmmm maybe not.

* Stoorman? haven't seen him much tbh.

Going all out for Moutinho is what we need to do. If we only sign one player in the next two windows, it needs to be him.

Pjanic is a decent enough plan b.

Willian is definitely not a CM and Defour is no more likely to be let go/be affordable than Moutinho, but is no where near as good as him.

Gundogan(sp?) from Dortmund?

Coutinho from Inter?

2 young up and coming players who like to knock the ball about and have are technically similar to Luka. Whether they are gettable is another issue.

Going all out for Moutinho is what we need to do. If we only sign one player in the next two windows, it needs to be him.

Pjanic is a decent enough plan b.

Willian is definitely not a CM and Defour is no more likely to be let go/be affordable than Moutinho, but is no where near as good as him.

'Going all out' for MOutinho would be stupid. We're not going to stump up £20m+ for a player - we need to be looking at alternatives in parallel rather than getting on to plan B on Jan 31st

I would actually say that, given we have Dembele, getting a decent 'no 10' in asap in place of Dempsey/Sig is higher priority (ie Dembele is better in his role than Dempsey/Sig are in theirs)

'Going all out' for MOutinho would be stupid. We're not going to stump up £20m+ for a player - we need to be looking at alternatives in parallel rather than getting on to plan B on Jan 31st

I would actually say that, given we have Dembele, getting a decent 'no 10' in asap in place of Dempsey/Sig is higher priority (ie Dembele is better in his role than Dempsey/Sig are in theirs)

Why not?

We nearly did it 2 months ago.

But I agree with the overall sentiment of a no. 10 priority where Willian looks the most realistic option.

Well Pjanic is the best central midfielder we could get. All the attributes Modric has but better (shooting etc.), still only 22 years of age and would absolutely run our midfield. Imagine Pjanic/Dembele/Sandro, oh my GHod.

Wouldn't mind a look at Isco either but he wouldn't technically be CM. £17m release clause though apparently. He's special.

not so sure we'll be looking to line up with a traditional no.10 in the future - more likely to see a midfield 3 behind two wing forward types and a central forward. Depending on how Lennon fairs on the right a playmaker in the mould of Moutinho could be the final piece of our new look first XI

Or AVB is only playing 4-2-3-1 till we sign a Moutinho like player and can switch to his favoured 4-3-3. That despenses of the #10 role, and has Dembele and Moutinho both as dual #8s/10s.

For me Moutinho is unique. A player of that calibre wouldn't usually look twice at us - it's only his relationship with our manager that makes it at all possible.

I'm fully prepared for Jonny Howson or Charlie Adam at 11:30pm on 31 January though.

Why not?
We nearly did it 2 months ago.

But I agree with the overall sentiment of a no. 10 priority where Willian looks the most realistic option.

Did we though? Depends on what paper you read and who you believe. I prefer to deal with fact and, based on that, our sweet spot for signings under Levy has beenin the £7m - £15m bracket - I cant see us suddenly breaknig from that whilst we're trying to finance a new stadium. Maybe in 2-3 years time when all the financing is secured and potential for over-runs on cost is lower. Just dont see it in the meantime

Back