1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

The Fight to Finish As High in the League as Possible 2020/21

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by 90291Spur, 14 Aug 2020.

1. AdamB

AdamB Luka Modric

We wouldnt ordinarily win at Old Trafford, possibly not Burnley either and to expect us to win all our home games is a little unrealistic. Arsenal have lost 3 on the trot!

2. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Paul Robinson

There is always one fixture a season that you play home and away in a relatively short window. This year it happens to be Liverpool. Just 6 weeks between our league fixtures. Also we'll be done with them, Emirates Marketing Project, and Chelsea (whom I consider our main rivals) by mid Feb.

This does feel like a good thing ALTHOUGH if we had a crunch game against a main competitor late in the season Mourinho is the man to have on your side.

Robbo, Bedfordspurs and DaveT316 like this.
  3. billyiddo

billyiddo Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

Whenever we don't beat Burnley it's 2-3 points dropped. Obviously over the course of the season you drop points here and there where you shouldn't but that doesn't change the fact they are dropped points in games you should be winning (or drawing depending on wjo we're talking about)

Personally if i was being harsh I'd say a top 4 team should be looking to beat anyone they play at home, so any game where you don't win is dropped points (regarding City win)

Fair point regarding OT so between that and City we are up 4 points vs the dropped points earlier in the season. If i was being kind I'd say Southampton are doing really well and should be considered a top 6 team atm so a point away from home is good and so that win puts us a further 2 points up.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2020
    Robbo, braineclipse and Bedfordspurs like this.
  4. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Andy Thompson

Well, to win the league, I think you will need around 2,4 points per game, and even that will only give you 91 points, which has not been enough to win it in any of the last 4 seasons, but it seems everyone beats everyone this season, so I don't think the points total will be that high. Might even be enough to get around 85 points, which would be around 2.24 points per game average.

Chutz, Robbo and Bedfordspurs like this.
  5. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

I suppose what I'm objecting to is the idea that when in a good run any result that doesn't live up to the expectations at by that run is somehow unacceptable when we know with both form fluctuations and luck/variance results will be inconsistent to some extent.

Both Liverpool and Chelsea failed to go top this weekend by drawing. Had either of those been us it would have been "sexy" or a sign of a weak meteorology. To me the test will be how you respond to the disappointment when it comes. And avoiding piling up the pressure by making every game "must win" before it has to be.

Must perform, must do our utmost, results will vary.

Gazza Dazzla and JerusalemMan like this.
  6. parklane1

parklane1 David Ginola

One game at a time guys, one game at a time. That is the message Jose will be saying in the dressing room.

DubSpur and Robbo like this.
  7. Raziel

Raziel Pedro Mendes

A couple of steals from reddit

First ->

[​IMG]

Second

[​IMG]

RoddieJ and SteveAWOL like this.
  8. billyiddo

billyiddo Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

This is the wrong thread for that kind of thinking :p

9. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Vic Buckingham

Jose is thinking 5 games ahead
    And the players are too
    It’s what great managers do

10. Bullet

Bullet Ian Walker

After 10 games, 9 for these guys:

21 TOT LIV
    19 CHE
    18 LEI
    17 WHU? SOU WOL
    16 EVE
    MNU
    15 AST MNC
    14 LEE NEW
    13 PAL ARS

braineclipse and Bedfordspurs like this.
  11. Bedfordspurs

Quite scary to see city and United sat there considering the season their having...

12. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Paul Robinson

I was shocked to find out that if United win their game in hand, they’ll only be 2 points behind us. I thought that they were meant to be having an awful season?!

13. AdamB

AdamB Luka Modric

Likewise. Sometimes though I think that goal difference can be as good a barometer of how teams are playing - if a team is playing well and winning games comfortably, then GD is much higher. There are anomoloes, like the Villa-Liverpool result skewing things, but if Utd won their game in hand 1-0 then they'd be 3rd with just a +1 GD. I'd be surprised if Utd are top 4 at the end of the season

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  14. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Paul Robinson

Couldn’t their 6-1 loss against us be seen to have skewed things? I mean, their goal difference still wouldn’t be great if they had lost only by 2 goals, but...

15. Bedfordspurs

Not really
    It was a reflection of the game and how they played

16. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

Scary? Maybe. It's scary being on top and we're not used to it.

This is after just a bit more than a quarter of the season played though. Takes time for real gaps to show up between good teams.

So many seasons we've been in the opposite position at this point. If we won our game in hand, if we go on a run of wins, we could close that gap. No doubt many fans of United and City will be thinking just that, and they might very well do just that.

Better to be in our position and be scared.
    Awful is an overstatement for sure, not quite sure who has claimed that.

A single result can change how the table looks by so much at this point with it still being very close. No team has run away as we've seen in recent years so the gap to the top is smaller too.

Just so early to be looking at the table. Makes for good viewing for us though.

17. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Chris Perry

If the two Manchester teams win their game in hand, there are 3 points separating the top 6. Too early to get carried away.

Robbo, Kandi1977 and harr1984 like this.
  18. 90291Spur

90291Spur Johnny Morrison

Until it is mathematically settled it's too early.

19. AdamB

AdamB Luka Modric

Helpful that they play each other next weekend. Would prefer to see City winning it

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  20. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Kasey Keller

It's much too early to want anything but a draw, in any game involving anyone but the relegation candidates.