• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Champions of 3rd place, we know what we are"

The scousers are in just as much jeopardy as us.

Chelsea have a game in hand and have to play them. That's 2pts behind with 2 to play...if they win

And then if Liverpool fail to get top 4, but win CL, and we finish 4th behind Chelsea then we miss out on CL again. So we need to aim for third otherwise we’ll be reliant on another team’s fate in the CL and we’ve already been stung by that once.

And then if Liverpool fail to get top 4, but win CL, and we finish 4th behind Chelsea then we miss out on CL again. So we need to aim for third otherwise we’ll be reliant on another team’s fate in the CL and we’ve already been stung by that once.
Even if Liverpool win the CL and finish outside the top 4, we’ll still qualify for next season’s CL with 4th spot; as UEFA have changed the rules since 2012.

The only scenario where 4th spot drops down to Europa League is if ARSEnal also win the Europa Cup, as no more than 5 teams from the same country are permitted in the CL nowadays.

Even if Liverpool win the CL and finish outside the top 4, we’ll still qualify for next season’s CL with 4th spot; as UEFA have changed the rules since 2012.

The only scenario where 4th spot drops down to Europa League is if ARSEnal also win the Europa Cup, as no more than 5 teams from the same country are permitted in the CL nowadays.

We should make sure we finish 3rd then,......just to absolutely make sure!!

Stick a few scheckles on that unlikely scenario happening. The football gods like to torment us.

I was thinking of that scenario. Albeit hoping that it doesn’t happen. It seems unlikely but we’ve been screwed by it before.

I was thinking of that scenario. Albeit hoping that it doesn’t happen. It seems unlikely but we’ve been screwed by it before.
I'm not good at using the betting sites but I think the odds of a Liverpool and arsenal European win and Chelsea top 4 is 160/1. That is not the exact scenario but not far off. Someone more experienced with bets might be able to get more accurate odds.

The same thing could happen to Chelsea if we finish third and they finish fourth, right? How deliciously ironic that would be.

Mate, I'm all for a healthy balance of positivity but also realism and the occasional rant. If people want to vent after a crushing defeat then let them vent FFS! Posters who do nothing but shout down everyone who has the nerve to think we won't win every game 8-0 is wumming it just as much as those who think we will bottle 4th place. Just for the record, I don't think it's out of the realms of possibility that we could blow it but I'd still back us to finish 4th, even if it does go the last game.

Fine, I agree that balance would be great.. What fudges me off is the posters who emerge at the slightest wobble and start moaning and stirring up discord.

For comparison; where were the majority of the moaning posters after our 3-1 win against Chelsea?
Hardly any of them bothered to contribute, let alone start threads or write up essayesque posts reveling in our victory.

I don't remember ever suggesting we'd win every game 8-0, like most I was extremely disappointed by our performance against UTD.
I think Poch got it wrong playing Kane and certainly should have hooked him, perhaps as early as half time. I think our players effort was pathetic second half.

I'm not asking for 100% positive posting, what I am looking for is the balance you so astutely refer to in your post.
Are you telling me you see that balance from the highly negative posters when we're successful? If so I must be fudging blind.

For this to happen, Liverpool have to collapse in the PL, getting no more than three points from their two home games against Stoke or Brighton. And losing against Chelski of course. Chelski will need at least nine points from four games to overtake Liverpool - if Liverpool lose all three remaining games. And of course we have to win two games to overtake Liverpool (if they lose all three games) but still stay behind Chelski.

And of course Liverpool and Arse have to win the EL and CL respectively. If they get to the final. Then we'd be screwed again.
That's so many if's and but's right there. The probablility of this happening is so, so small. It's highly unlikely this will ever happen.

...I need to put money on this scenario. Much money. What is the best gambling site?

For this to happen, Liverpool have to collapse in the PL, getting no more than three points from their two home games against Stoke or Brighton. And losing against Chelski of course. Chelski will need at least nine points from four games to overtake Liverpool - if Liverpool lose all three remaining games. And of course we have to win two games to overtake Liverpool (if they lose all three games) but still stay behind Chelski.

And of course Liverpool and Arse have to win the EL and CL respectively. If they get to the final. Then we'd be screwed again.
That's so many if's and but's right there. The probablility of this happening is so, so small. It's highly unlikely this will ever happen.

...I need to put money on this scenario. Much money. What is the best gambling site?
Singles
UEFA Champions League - Winner 2017/18
Liverpool
2/1

UEFA Europa League - Winner 2017/18
Arsenal
10/3

English Premier League - Top 4 Finish 2017/18
Chelsea
14/1

Multiples
Trebles194/1
Bet£5
Potential returns£975.00

We will finish top four, I know things literally ALWAYS go wrong for us but not this time. Liverpool lose in the CL final. Arsenal win the Europa league. We finish fourth.

5 teams in the CL again. Us being one ;)

Singles
Liverpool
2/1

Arsenal
10/3

Chelsea
14/1

Multiples
Trebles194/1
Bet£5
Potential returns£975.00

Easy money. I'm off to refinance the house. See you in Barbados.

The aim is simple..... Finish above Chelsea.

Singles
Liverpool
2/1

Arsenal
10/3

Chelsea
14/1

Multiples
Trebles194/1
Bet£5
Potential returns£975.00

Still doesn't cover the nightmare scenario. Chelsea must finish 3rd with us 4th or they would miss out. Liverpool must win the CL and finish outside the top four. So you need to replace top 4 Chelsea odds with those for top 3 Chelsea and add a bet for Liverpool finishing outside top 4 (must be similar to our 80-1). That must add up to 20000/1.

Still doesn't cover the nightmare scenario. Chelsea must finish 3rd with us 4th or they would miss out. Liverpool must win the CL and finish outside the top four. So you need to replace top 4 Chelsea odds with those for top 3 Chelsea and add a bet for Liverpool finishing outside top 4 (must be similar to our 80-1). That must add up to 20000/1.
Nailed on

It does cover the nightmare scenario, it's just it also covers other scenarios. ;) We could finish third, and Chelsea fourth, and this still pays out, the difference is we've still got CL.
If we drop out the top 4, who wins what is irrelevant to us getting CL, and it's not the 'nightmare scenario', it just means we're a bit brick (and it could still pay out).

Back