• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Definitive Worst Tottenham Eleven

Been watching The Big Match Revisited from 1979. We had a weird team then: two great players (Hoddle, Ardiles), one good player (Villa), a handful of decent pros (Perryman, Peter Taylor, Pratt) and a rag-bag collection of journeymen: Kendall/Daines, Naylor, Holmes, Rollerball McAllister, Lacy (aaaargh!) plus a bloke up front who was, arguably (along with Falco) the best home grown striker we have produced in the last 50 years (or have I forgotten someone?).

I expect my description of Perryman as a decent pro might upset some but he was a poor man's Sammy Lee in many ways*. He was better than John Pratt, but not so much better (in my view) that it justified the disparity in respect they got (Perryman = loved, Pratt = hated).

In case you are wondering, the home grown striker was Chris Jones. Not bad. Probably no worse than Grant Holt.

So, yes, we have put up with a lot of dross in our time. David Jenkins anyone?

I think I would definitely put John Lacy in my worst XI. Made Paul Miller look like Nureyev.

* Don't mean to diss Perryman. A great servant, a smashing man and a decent player.

Been watching The Big Match Revisited from 1979. We had a weird team then: two great players (Hoddle, Ardiles), one good player (Villa), a handful of decent pros (Perryman, Peter Taylor, Pratt) and a rag-bag collection of journeymen: Kendall/Daines, Naylor, Holmes, Rollerball McAllister, Lacy (aaaargh!) plus a bloke up front who was, arguably (along with Falco) the best home grown striker we have produced in the last 50 years (or have I forgotten someone?).

In case you are wondering, the home grown striker was Chris Jones. Not bad. Probably no worse than Grant Holt.

I think I would definitely put John Lacy in my worst XI. Made Paul Miller look like Nureyev.

* Don't mean to diss Perryman. A great servant, a smashing man and a decent player.

You have to remember that those players were in the second division at the time. Not many survived to play in the first when we won promotion. Of those listed, only Hoddle, Ardiles, Perryman, Villa and Falco ( did he play that early on?) I rember Chris Jones. He was a big lump of a player. Wasn't he cliff Jones' son?

Reality is in the bread and butter games Villa was not that much either. Arrived with a massive reputation but frustrated the life out of everyone the way he so often failed to deliver. The thing that sticks most in the memory is the roar of anticipation that went up when he received the ball followed by the inevitable groan when he fudged up.

Felt like we spent the whole time wondering when he was going to explode into action, then fortunately fur us he chose the FA Cup replay to oblige.

I expect my description of Perryman as a decent pro might upset some but he was a poor man's Sammy Lee in many ways*. He was better than John Pratt, but not so much better (in my view) that it justified the disparity in respect they got (Perryman = loved, Pratt = hated).

So, yes, we have put up with a lot of dross in our time. David Jenkins anyone?

A bit better than decent! When he moved to right back he was superb. We haven't had a right back as good as him since. He was also decent at centre half and a good central midfielder.

You can't argue with Perryman's longevity at the top, so maybe he was more than decent. On the other hand, he was a peer of Graeme Souness - he may have even kept Souness out of the side when they were both teenagers - but he never really blossomed into an international class player, did he? Tottenham's answer to Terry Paine, but without the England caps.

BTW, I was under the impression the Big Match Revisited matches from 1979 were top tier (i.e. Division One) games, but given that other episodes from this series have featured third division games as their main match, maybe it was from our thankfully brief Div Two era.

As for Chris Jones - wasn't he from Jersey? Or was that Falco?

When you think about it, only two home grown strikers making it as first team regulars in a 50-year period is pretty tinkle poor. We seem to be better at producing centre backs.

Andy Gray must fill one of the midfield spots.

Laziest footballer I think I've ever seen in a Spurs shirt, A old mate of mine knew him and the week before the goon semi in 93 bumped into him
his words when asked about our chances that coming weekend "I dunno and to be honest don't really give a fudge"

Laziest footballer I think I've ever seen in a Spurs shirt, A old mate of mine knew him and the week before the goon semi in 93 bumped into him
his words when asked about our chances that coming weekend "I dunno and to be honest don't really give a fudge"

I was going to tell you how wrong you are because I always thought Ardiles signed him in 1994 but turns out he signed for us in 1992. Presumably Venables signed him as he was doing all the transfers then wasn't he? fudge me.

Didn't that prick miss a penalty against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge that would have put us 4-3 ahead before, if I'm not wrong, Dean Austin gave them a last minute penalty to beat us 4-3? I remember being in tears after that game because I thought we were going down.

I watched the FA Cup 91 highlights a few days back. Completely forgot that Edinburgh was in that team. He's an FA Cup and League Cup winner!!

I watched the FA Cup 91 highlights a few days back. Completely forgot that Edinburgh was in that team. He's an FA Cup and League Cup winner!!

Remember thinking he was a decent player at the time. Saw him play early in his Spurs career, may have been his debut, in a 0-0 draw with Arsenal if I'm not mistaken. The game was shown over here live and the commentator (George Hamilton) was saying what a great buy he looked. How wrong were we?

Was really pleased we signed him (from Palace?) as I thought he was very much a good player. That said, can't particularly recall his Spurs performances...

Back