• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

Seriously If they go down how about Bassong???

Just saw he was dropped v Chelsea lol

That's the thing. I've seen him a handful of times and he's looked good but have i seen him enough for me to say we should sign him? no.

Better the devil you know...i've seen Micah Richards and i know what he's capable of. I like that him and Ben Davies have played in this league before and can hopefully slot straight in. We can go foreign with the other signings (CM, LWF whatever) but i know Ben Davies can perform, i know Micah Richards can perform.

How many times have you seen him at centre back in the last handful of seasons?

Whoscored has all his 5 appearances this season as a right back. Last time he had over 10 PL appearances was in 11/12, when I think he was primarily used as a right back. How much do we actually know about his current ability as a centre back?

Both under Mancini and under Pellegini they've had some serious issues at centre back from time to time and he hasn't been anywhere near being a regular starter there. That might be injury problems, but if that's the case how is he an upgrade on Kaboul?

Agree about Ben Davies, but Richards? Not so sure.

My only thing about Richards is that he seems injury prone? Unless I'm imagining that.

I'm just looking at potential World Cup squads, what about Mangala at Porto? Again I haven't seen him at all. I'm suggesting, just because there's not too many I fancy in the PL right now that are gettable and dependable.

Lescott, I'd be interested in. Richards yea. Jagielka? Would he come?

Yeah, the injuries are amongst the issues I think.

Lescott - a bit much of a muchness again. Again someone that needs a good player next to him organizing the back 4 and "holding his hand" I think. And he's another left footed centre back, ok if Verts leaves, but if we hold on to Verts that might be an issue.

Jagielka - Definitely the right player type imo, but not a chance. Perhaps he would leave, more money and late in his career and all that, but Everton would demand much more than Levy would sanction for a player his age.

Do we need someone who can organise? Are we still happy with Daws? Or writing him off?

We desperately need more players that can organize.

I'm ok with Dawson as a squad/backup option. Home grown too, probably won't get a ton of money for him. But he needs someone next to him that can help him along, never seen a player look better than he usually does over time because he's been next to Dawson. The Kaboul/Dawson failure illustrates the problem, both can look very good next to the right player, but they need that player next to them.

Van Dijk's good as well, people won't like him next to Jan or Vlad though.

For me you need:

2 cultured CBs (1st Verts, 2nd Chirches) +
2 powerful CBs (1st Kaboul, 2nd Dawson)

I'm very happy with Dawson as 2nd choice power CB. He's experienced, a great influence at the club and we know he can do a job in an organised defence alongside the right partner (i.e. anyone but Kaboul).

For me it's Kaboul who needs replacing the summer (unless he miraculously recovers).

Are you saying that Chiriches is someone that can organize a back 4/centre back partnership? Because if not then we're left relying on one man to be that player, and that's Vertonghen that might be desperate to leave.

And honestly I think it's a lot to expect that he can, he still looked very nervous at his last PL start. Big step up to make for him to start taking charge.

What about Ron Vlaar? Is he terrible? Got EPL experience.

Very good shout imo. Right age, and a year left on his contract according to transfermarkt. Wouldn't be cheap, but wouldn't cost the world either I imagine.

The kind of signing I think Redknapp would have been all over, and exactly the kind of signing we need right now to make us better immediately and give some of our less experienced players a chance to improve next to someone that can help them along.

Garay, ideally, not sure how possible that is though.

Will despair if Dawson's still first choice next season.

Don't think Garay is anywhere near possible with the amount of top teams likely to be after a new centre back this summer.

Garay, ideally, not sure how possible that is though.

Will despair if Dawson's still first choice next season.

It staggers me that we still rely on him as much as we do. Dawson has never been good enough for a team pushing for top 4, he struggles against pass and move football and often gets dragged all over the place without the pace to recover. Put him up against a team using the long ball and a target man and he'll look comfortable, the only problem for him is I can count the number of those type of teams in the PL on one hand.

The guys been a loyal servant to the club but I'd go as far as to sell him this summer and have Kaboul as backup.

Verts, Chiriches, Kaboul, ???????

I'd like it if we got Mehdi Benatia from Roma, he's been in great form this season after his move from Udinese, tall, strong in the tackle, but more importantly more mobile than Dawson.

Hotspur Related ‏@HotspurRelated
Various reports claim Tottenham Hotspur have set their sights on Cagliari defender Davide Astori this summer. #THFC

Various reports claim Tottenham Hotspur have set their sights on Cagliari defender Davide Astori this summer. #THFC

Someone give me the lowdown. What's his English like? Is he Dutch like Vertonghen?

He's been at Cagliari for years and you have to wonder why none of the big Italian teams have snapped him up by now which normally happens with homegrown talent.

Never seen him play, but I have seen Astori being linked a lot of places in the media. Not all that rare for a central defender to develop to a higher level at around his age.

Been working his way into the Italy squad and occasionally been getting games too. A sign of quality at least.

My only thing about Richards is that he seems injury prone? Unless I'm imagining that.

I'm just looking at potential World Cup squads, what about Mangala at Porto? Again I haven't seen him at all. I'm suggesting, just because there's not too many I fancy in the PL right now that are gettable and dependable.

Lescott, I'd be interested in. Richards yea. Jagielka? Would he come?

Mangala is joining city in a double deal with a midfielder from there for £40m.

Does anyone think we could potentially try to lure Coloccini to the club?

I know there's been a lot of talk about him wanting to return to Argentina, but in terms of culture and air travel time London is about half way there from Saudi Sportswashing Machine I would estimate. ;)

32, but very experienced and PL proven, has been demanding a move so might force it and not cost the world, experienced in the league and a leader that seems capable of organizing a back 4. Argentinian so him and Lamela could hang out, eat steaks and talk about the injustice of the Falklands situation...

Could he be a Gallas/Naybet type signing for us?

To GB's early point, not really a first/second priority area for me.

A Naybet/Gallas type signing might be useful as I think Vlad/Vert/Kaboul could all benefit from that kind of presence, not sure Coloccini is that person ..

Back