• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

What ever happened to Bruno uvini

I think he was talked up as the something special after a good U20 tournament for Brazil but for whatever reason we didn't take up an option on him after his trial. He's currently contracted to Napoli and out on loan to Siena.

Our central defence

A decent addition here wouldn't go amiss.....anyway ..it's the weakest link ATM....does anyone agree..I have no idea who we could get in this position though.

Re: Our central defence

Vertonghen, Kaboul, Chiriches, Dawson. Doesn't look too weak to me. The only weakness there is Kaboul's fitness. He's back in training again now so hopefully he'll finally be over the worst. All we lack in central defence is a consistent pairing in my opinion.

Harsh. Thought Dawson started this season very well. There were a lot of people surprised that he wasn't called up for England. As for Kaboul, he clearly still wasn't very fit. Whoever starts out of the current 4 leaves 2 able understudies. I can't see the club adding another CB unless/until the Kaboul injury situation means we have to write him off.

Harsh. Thought Dawson started this season very well. There were a lot of people surprised that he wasn't called up for England. As for Kaboul, he clearly still wasn't very fit. Whoever starts out of the current 4 leaves 2 able understudies. I can't see the club adding another CB unless/until the Kaboul injury situation means we have to write him off.

Dawsons a decent player but is prone too big mistakes...like the shove on that Swansea player...should have been a Penalty. Kaboul also..is he really that good.
Would any of the othe rtop clubs have him or Daws..thats the question you have to ask.. in which case they are short of the class needed in these positions!

Dawsons a decent player but is prone too big mistakes...like the shove on that Swansea player...should have been a Penalty. Kaboul also..is he really that good.
Would any of the othe rtop clubs have him or Daws..thats the question you have to ask.. in which case they are short of the class needed in these positions!

cant be bothered with spelling

Daws / Kaboul or Demechels?
Daws / Kaboul or Vermalen ?
Daws / Kaboul or Evans / Vidic (now not 2 years ago) / Jones?
Daws / Kaboul or Any of Liverpools lot
Daws / Kaboul or Distan / Jagielka

Yep I think I would be happy with ours to be honest with you- if not they are not far off

A decent addition here wouldn't go amiss.....anyway ..it's the weakest link ATM....does anyone agree..I have no idea who we could get in this position though.

A weaker link than left back? No way.

Like IGGHAC said, Kaboul's fitness is the only real worry.

Skrtel gets away with stuff that is as bad or worse every game he plays.

If those are given one out of ten times I'd be surprised. If anything we need more cynicism like that from our defenders, not less.

Virgil van Dijk impressed me for Celtic. I think I read some reports in 2013 about the bigger clubs watching him.

Of course the simple truth for any position is that if there's a significantly better player available at a reasonable price that we can afford then it makes sense to make that deal.

In January I can't think of many obvious deals like that at centre back though. In the summer things might be different, we'll know a bit more about Kaboul's injury situation and a lot more deals will be available to make.

I think we're sorted here unless Kaboul is proper crooked.

I think Verts will be off in the summer though and will need replacing then.

Not even close to our weakest link

Prize goes to -> LB

First choice not good enough, and after that it goes downhill fast.

Not even close to our weakest link

Prize goes to -> LB

First choice not good enough, and after that it goes downhill fast.

You can easily see a scenario though where Barca come and pay us £25m for Verts in teh summer and if Kaboul is all but finshed....then it will need completely rebuilding! Personally I dont think Daws and Chiriches are good enough to be first choice if we want to be top 4 regulars, though both are good second choices

Verts joined us and as per usual with our club became injury prone, the fitness and ability of Kaboul is in question after his injury, leaving Daws and the young inexperienced Chiriches which doesn't cut it if you aspire for top four.

In a perfect world those four would be a pretty good rotation, but as I've already pointed out its something that needs addressing in my opinion.

I'm always amused that Dawson goes up for corners. They even made a film based on him - "White men can't jump"

I would take Lescott on loan for the remainder of this season. Its a short term measure until we decide what to do in the summer.

I dont ever want to see Capoue at Centre Half again.

Central defenders

Seems like we will be in the market for at least one. And this summer will be a tough market for that position as many big clubs will be looking for one and quality central defenders are rare. Going by this season we need someone that can start performing quickly, not just a talent to be good in a couple of years.

So, suggestions?

Particularly I think we need someone with a bit of leadership and organizational qualities. A Naybet or Gallas. Both Kaboul and Dawson need someone like that next to them, if one/both stay, and Chiriches still looks to be adjusting and a leader next to him would do him good too. So that really only leaves Vertonghen that seems to play well next to several others and potentially make them better too (when on form), and he looks the most likely to leave perhaps? Although I think we need to be desperate to keep him.

Back