• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The case for the defence

From the individual players it's old fashioned perhaps, in a good way.

The system is far from old fashioned though, and not really what was one the modern very high press all of the time either.

I wonder if Nuno has gone for this solution in part because we have shown over a couple of years that we just can't press as we once did. Kane isn't there, I'm not sure Son is either.

Emerson Royal signing will be very interesting to see in action. If he is in deed very aggressive and solid one vs. one defensively we could be seeing this kind of defending quite a lot this season.

I remember this thread but it’s worth reinvigorating as under conte we have the joint best defence in the league conceding 4 goals (with wolves)
That’s with players who most thought we’re done for (c’mon let’s be honest)
He has gentle Ben playing like a steam roller at times
Dier trying to pass the ball around like he is Beckham
And Sanchez scoring goals
Before today under him we were letting him 0.5 goals per game and that will have improved
Great managers build from the back, but it’s rare to do it without a change of players too. So to do it with existing staff is IMO a bloody miracle

I remember this thread but it’s worth reinvigorating as under conte we have the joint best defence in the league conceding 4 goals (with wolves)
That’s with players who most thought we’re done for (c’mon let’s be honest)
He has gentle Ben playing like a steam roller at times
Dier trying to pass the ball around like he is Beckham
And Sanchez scoring goals
Before today under him we were letting him 0.5 goals per game and that will have improved
Great managers build from the back, but it’s rare to do it without a change of players too. So to do it with existing staff is IMO a bloody miracle

Fairly good run of fixtures to be fair, but much improved none the less. Finding a good mix of when and where to start pressing. Davies good as a LCB in a three is unsurprising, Sessegnon has played as a wing back before I think. Other than that a lot of players adapting quickly to somewhat new roles. Great to see.

Fairly good run of fixtures to be fair, but much improved none the less. Finding a good mix of when and where to start pressing. Davies good as a LCB in a three is unsurprising, Sessegnon has played as a wing back before I think. Other than that a lot of players adapting quickly to somewhat new roles. Great to see.

when people talk about a good run of fixtures they really need to look at the arses recent run…. And you can only beat who is in front of you of course. We have which is a marked improvement all round

Conte has worked wonders on our defensive play for sure, the likes of Dier and Davies have both shown what good players they are and Sanchez looks a different player with confidence in what he is doing.

I see a lot of posts about the defence and how conte has improved them, well i don't agree.
In no way am I denigrating conte, he has done a fantastic job, but other than maybe docherty they are all showing form that we knew they had and we had seen before.
So, Conte has brought them back to form, and that's brilliant, but it does make you wonder what happened in between.

it does make you wonder what happened in between.
Under Mou Mou, the tactic was to go a goal ahead after 15 mins and then sit back for 75 mins and home the defence didn't crumble.
Nuno wasn't much better.
So they were penned in their own box desperately clearing the ball, prior.

I see a lot of posts about the defence and how conte has improved them, well i don't agree.
In no way am I denigrating conte, he has done a fantastic job, but other than maybe docherty they are all showing form that we knew they had and we had seen before.
So, Conte has brought them back to form, and that's brilliant, but it does make you wonder what happened in between.

I would disagree, Davies for one is playing the best football of his Tottenham career, and as for Dier, he has never looked this commanding as a central defender

Getting that many players back to form, whilst integrating a new system, mid season, with injuries and covid and everything else, after a long period of underperforming or inconsistency from most of them. That is a fantastic thing to be able to do.

Has he permanently improved any of them? Not so sure, but he's come as close as it's possible to get at what is probably nearly impossible.

Getting that many players back to form, whilst integrating a new system, mid season, with injuries and covid and everything else, after a long period of underperforming or inconsistency from most of them. That is a fantastic thing to be able to do.

Has he permanently improved any of them? Not so sure, but he's come as close as it's possible to get at what is probably nearly impossible.
He has made them look valuable again which is no mean feat

ziyech scored a worldie but look at how the players created space for him to shoot, overloading on the right. It was 6 v 7 with 3 in the box and one more threatening. I think the line dropped too fast and accomodated Chelsea too much. Can't blame Sess for this one - look he is surrounded.

upload_2022-1-24_12-9-32.png

same tactic soon after, ziyech all the time to strike, 6 v 7, loris alert for the save.

ziyech scored a worldie but look at how the players created space for him to shoot, overloading on the right. It was 6 v 7 with 3 in the box and one more threatening. I think the line dropped too fast and accomodated Chelsea too much. Can't blame Sess for this one - look he is surrounded.

View attachment 13571

same tactic soon after, ziyech all the time to strike, 6 v 7, loris alert for the save.

The still only tells half the story. Our left side were torn to shreds time and time again due to the combinations Ziyech, Azpilicueta and Mount set up out there, and we failed to find a counterstroke to that over three games. We knew about it, we tried to counter it, but we could not. The reason Sess is so far away from Ziyech is because he is first dragged towards one run, then the other, and by the time Ziyech receives the ball he is lost.

Now, if anyone, just anyone, could look at that picture alone, and with some mumbo-jumbo magic drag all the players into the correct positions to cover that play without compromising any other position, I'd love to see it.
We're 7 vs 6, reasonably well organised for a cross, and I recon if Ziyech had played Azpilicueta through to cross I think we would have defended that quite ok. Instead, due to the extra half yard or so he is given as Sess is pulled out of ideal position, he manages to get off a world beater of a shot. And I don't think there is a goalkeeper in the world that would have saved that particular shot.

I hate to see those goals go against us, as I hate any goals against us, but as far as goals go, that was a very good one. Better teams then ours would struggle against that play.

A more experienced player would perhaps not have been pulled that far out of position, or made a quicker, better judgement of which situation were more dangerous of Ziyech and Azpi, but I doubt it.
If we were to stop this play it had to be stopped further up the pitch. Once we allow those three players to combine 3v2 out there we're inviting trouble. Problem is, it is just not that easy to counter it. You can't just snap fingers and say "I won't allow it!"

With a fully fit first 11 of our current squad, we would perhaps have been able to set a team that would allow us to be more imposing, to focus a bit more on how we turn them, cause them problems. Because that is how you stop this. Keep Azpilicueta occupied in the other end of the pitch, drag Mount further infield, and make Ziyech go wide. Not easy, not done without risk. And probably still a bit beyond our current first 11 to do on a regular basis.

It pains me to do so, but you have to acknowledge that this Chelsea-team is actually rather good. Full of punchable clams, yes. But first and foremost a very good team, with a very good setup.

Tuchel is 12 months into his Chelsea tenure. Conte is 10 weeks into his at Spurs. Tuchel started with a youth-loaded, talented but ill-managed squad. Conte has started with a unbalanced, disjointed and aging squad in dire need of depth and quality improvements.

Let's do a more fair comparison january next year.

The still only tells half the story. Our left side were torn to shreds time and time again due to the combinations Ziyech, Azpilicueta and Mount set up out there, and we failed to find a counterstroke to that over three games. We knew about it, we tried to counter it, but we could not. The reason Sess is so far away from Ziyech is because he is first dragged towards one run, then the other, and by the time Ziyech receives the ball he is lost.

Now, if anyone, just anyone, could look at that picture alone, and with some mumbo-jumbo magic drag all the players into the correct positions to cover that play without compromising any other position, I'd love to see it.
We're 7 vs 6, reasonably well organised for a cross, and I recon if Ziyech had played Azpilicueta through to cross I think we would have defended that quite ok. Instead, due to the extra half yard or so he is given as Sess is pulled out of ideal position, he manages to get off a world beater of a shot. And I don't think there is a goalkeeper in the world that would have saved that particular shot.

I hate to see those goals go against us, as I hate any goals against us, but as far as goals go, that was a very good one. Better teams then ours would struggle against that play.

A more experienced player would perhaps not have been pulled that far out of position, or made a quicker, better judgement of which situation were more dangerous of Ziyech and Azpi, but I doubt it.
If we were to stop this play it had to be stopped further up the pitch. Once we allow those three players to combine 3v2 out there we're inviting trouble. Problem is, it is just not that easy to counter it. You can't just snap fingers and say "I won't allow it!"

With a fully fit first 11 of our current squad, we would perhaps have been able to set a team that would allow us to be more imposing, to focus a bit more on how we turn them, cause them problems. Because that is how you stop this. Keep Azpilicueta occupied in the other end of the pitch, drag Mount further infield, and make Ziyech go wide. Not easy, not done without risk. And probably still a bit beyond our current first 11 to do on a regular basis.

It pains me to do so, but you have to acknowledge that this Chelsea-team is actually rather good. Full of punchable clams, yes. But first and foremost a very good team, with a very good setup.

Tuchel is 12 months into his Chelsea tenure. Conte is 10 weeks into his at Spurs. Tuchel started with a youth-loaded, talented but ill-managed squad. Conte has started with a unbalanced, disjointed and aging squad in dire need of depth and quality improvements.

Let's do a more fair comparison january next year.
But Brighton drew with them…
But they Haven’t won a league game this year
But they wear blue
How dare you give credit to the opposition for hitting a world class goal

Quoted you here to save derailing the other thread. Found this on youtube, looks excellent.

He is
But he is also at a club that have no need or desire to sell
And it’s £50m
Add in the other players people wants and we’re spending £250m this summer

He is
And it’s £50m

Not saying we'd get him. Just we've been linked and i didn't know much about him.

Romero is what £42m plus loan fee? So is possible.

Dunno what the transfer budget will be in the summer. But if we are backing conte it would be probably at least £50m? Sales maybe another £80m+ if lo celso, doherty, tanganga, ndombele, rodon maybe even gil, go.

There should be money available, but yes it is a big outlay.

As for no desire to sell. They're financial position is a bit better, but still very bad. As is their owners. Who also have to pay the prem, £157m.

He is
And it’s £50m
Actually Inter are în heavy financial needs but they are navigating it amazingly well. Have to say they are hands down the saviest în the transfer market recently. Got the money they needed, almost 200 mil euros from Lukaku and Hakimi. Spends less that 13 mil for Dumfries, 3 mil on Darmian, gets Calhanoglu and Dzeko for free, loans Correa, Caicedo and Goosens. They will probably need to sell în this summer too, but they won't sell cheap and not more than a player or 2. As it stands, they are the favorites to sign Dybala on a free.

Not saying we'd get him. Just we've been linked and i didn't know much about him.

Romero is what £42m plus loan fee? So is possible.

Dunno what the transfer budget will be in the summer. But if we are backing conte it would be probably at least £50m? Sales maybe another £80m+ if lo celso, doherty, tanganga, ndombele, rodon maybe even gil, go.

There should be money available, but yes it is a big outlay.

As for no desire to sell. They're financial position is a bit better, but still very bad. As is their owners. Who also have to pay the prem, £157m.
They have to pay the prem?

Actually Inter are în heavy financial needs but they are navigating it amazingly well. Have to say they are hands down the saviest în the transfer market recently. Got the money they needed, almost 200 mil euros from Lukaku and Hakimi. Spends less that 13 mil for Dumfries, 3 mil on Darmian, gets Calhanoglu and Dzeko for free, loans Correa, Caicedo and Goosens. They will probably need to sell în this summer too, but they won't sell cheap and not more than a player or 2. As it stands, they are the favorites to sign Dybala on a free.
Where are they gonna play dybala?
I don’t see him leaving Juve myself and if he does I wouldnt be surprised to see him go to Spain
And I agree inter have dine great business
Dumfries would be a great wing back under conte
Correa is a very good goals scoring wide forward (they have a loan to buy arrangement for him)
Calhanoglu was daft from AC letting his contract go like that! He has stepped into eriksens shoes comfortably
But it’s a very old side too
They will be getting in Ajax’s keeper Onana this summer too on a free

Back