• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

But you have to sign the right player Jurgen.
No point in the likes of Torres coming in
And anyone else is ££££
So that leaves looking for the bargains and the potential - and they need the right attitude.
It's a small pool.

I don't want Fernando Torres.

Sorry but I don't buy the "there's no one out there arguement". If we cannot identify 1 striker in the premier league, the lower leagues like we did with Alli or abroad then I consider that a problem.

Following that logic, one could argue that no signings are ever really necessary, because we could just stick an existing player in a hole and see how it works. Rose in at goalie, for example.

After all, the past is not always a predictor of the future, and who knows how he'll perform at that position? If Kane gets injured, and Son and Chadli fail to fill the gaps, let's not buy anyone until we've cycled every player through the ST position (Lloris, Vorm, and McGee included), because the past isn't a predictor of the future and you can't write them off without trying them there first. :p

Come on, not signing a striker in this critical window is going to cause a lot of justifiable grief. I don't blame anyone for attempting to rationalize it.
That's the thing though: I don't think anyone is trying to rationalize it. We're looking at the squad and who we have available and making a determination on whether they can fill a role, which they have proven they can. They may not be 100% as effective as Kane, but I think at least 70-80% should do it. And they have proven it in matches where Kane didn't play. Consider also that we have the stingiest defense in the PL, which means we don't need to score a boatload of goals. So I'm not rationalizing; just looking at the facts.

It's one thing someone like Son or Chadli filling in for a game or two, it's a completely different scenario if they had to fill Kane's shoes for nearly half a season. I don't doubt that Chadli could effectively cover for a handful games, but me personally, I would prefer a striker to fill in.
If they can fill in for a game or two, why not for more? It's not like temporarily fixing a flat tire to get you to the nearest service station. If Chadli and/or Son can play the role in one game, they can play it in multiple games. And if you look at it from a different perspective, it would give our opponents something that they haven't seen before. Kane they know and can and do adjust for. Throw in a new face in the role and the advantage could shift to us.

And by the way, I'm not saying we shouldn't try our best to get striker cover. I'm just arguing that the sky will not fall on our heads if we don't and that there is no need to panic and get someone that will be surplus at the end of the season. If we are to get someone, it should be the right fit and I'm sure the club is trying its hardest to find just such a player. Given where we are and where we're heading, it would be disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Sorry but I don't buy the "there's no one out there arguement". If we cannot identify 1 striker in the premier league, the lower leagues like we did with Alli or abroad then I consider that a problem.
especially with the amazing recruitment network we have, and profits from a zillion other windows

Last edited:
Snippet from ESPNFC Transfer Talk live blog:

Gab Marcotti: I can't comment on the past but Levy is not the reason Spurs haven't signed a striker this month. In fact, I've heard he definitely offered Pochettino Austin in the summer. It's Poch who's reluctant... He is very wary of upsetting squad balance and is only interested in a long-term solution, rather than a stop-gap

I like this Poch guy. He really has a vision for the future and isn't a knee-jerk manager. As much as some people may bemoan this in this transfer window, I think we'll see the fruits of this approach in the long term.

I agree, and for people to say 'its hard to sign players in Jan' - we've had this problem for 6 months. I just wanted us to bring in someone like Ricky Lambert - just someone who plays CF as their primary position and short-term cover. Save the big bucks for the summer but needed some cover in

A bit like if the Goons lost Giroud and Welbeck, they would have to play Walcott Sanchez etc

The difference being Walcott is a striker who now plays on the wing.

Sanchez isn't a striker but he's a feckin good option to have as a replacement, he's world class.

If they can fill in for a game or two, why not for more? It's not like temporarily fixing a flat tire to get you to the nearest service station. If Chadli and/or Son can play the role in one game, they can play it in multiple games. And if you look at it from a different perspective, it would give our opponents something that they haven't seen before. Kane they know and can and do adjust for. Throw in a new face in the role and the advantage could shift to us.

And by the way, I'm not saying we shouldn't try our best to get striker cover. I'm just arguing that the sky will not fall on our heads if we don't and that there is no need to panic and get someone that will be surplus at the end of the season. If we are to get someone, it should be the right fit and I'm sure the club is trying its hardest to find just such a player. Given where we are and where we're heading, it would be disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Because as good as Chadli and Son are, skills like attacking the 6 yard box, timing runs into the box, holding the ball up, bringing others into play, linking attack and midfield among other things come more naturally to a striker.

I agree, and for people to say 'its hard to sign players in Jan' - we've had this problem for 6 months. I just wanted us to bring in someone like Ricky Lambert - just someone who plays CF as their primary position and short-term cover. Save the big bucks for the summer but needed some cover in

Bingo. I'm not asking for a 20m backup, just another option and more variety, someone that gives us something different and is an out and out striker.

Back