1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Tanguy Ndombele

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by JerusalemMan, 2 Jul 2019.

1. Daisuk

Daisuk Cecil Poynton

He was brilliant yesterday - hope we've finally understood where to play him now. Also looked happy with his team mates, which was great to see. Long may it continue!

Robbo, DubSpur and harr1984 like this.
  2. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Bert Bliss

He needs to do it vs a decent side now

Robbo, Daisuk, StephenH and 2 others like this.
  3. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Paul Stalteri

100% agreed. Yesterday, he looked like the player I thought we signed. But let's not kid ourselves. Newcastle were absolutely awful. There was space everywhere and no pressure on the ball so, as well as Ndombele did, they were the ideal conditions for him to play well. If he can replicate it in the next 2-3 league games, it'll be a cause for excitement.

Robbo, Daisuk, DubSpur and 4 others like this.
  4. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Nayim

He still misplaced passes etc. But it has been clear for a while he can finish, and he can open up space. The more he plays there the better he'll become. The major step up from him is whether he can become efficient with the ball - not lose it. His and our game is about breaking quickly, and trying things, so you are going to lose the ball now and again, especially in his position trying to make goal-scoring openings. But he can become an elite player by not losing the ball as much. This kinda goes for the whole team.

Still @Bedfordspurs and @Badger looks like Ndombele can play in this role after all?

DeanoAustin likes this.
  5. AdamB

AdamB Gary Stevens

I was thinking about this point yesterday and ended up thinking that with TN you dont want him to do the safe things given that he has the ability to unlock defences with the higher-risk passes/dribbles which few people can do. Better to have him in the 10 role and trying to create chances like that, and alsohave a CM who retains possession well in the Modric/Eriksen, and dare I say it Lo Celso, style. Modric didnt play world beating passes but he played 1 touch and kept the ball moving. Very different style to Ndombele. Lo Celso alongside one of Skipp/PEH makes sense to me

DubSpur and alekaras like this.
  6. Baleforce

Baleforce Micky Hazard

it was better from him, I don't think its simply the role though, he was working harder, moving the ball quicker and being more decisive with his passing

7. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Nayim

Of course. But to be elite, he needs to make more of his passes stick. I think he will, just from playing regularly.

He is taking quite a few kicks as well as the opposition recognises his creativity. Hopefully he stays fit.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2021
  8. mephitis

mephitis Pascal Chimbonda

A good game yesterday but still looked like he had to take 5 minutes every time he went on a run (did that come across on the TV?). Not sure whether it's fitness levels or he was just surprising himself and having to recompose. Great player in there, just needs to break out.

9. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Bert Bliss

As I say, let’s see him play it against a half decent side
    Newcastle are very very poor
    He was great vs them
    Villa are decent ..,, he was woeful
    We play West Ham and united next. Two higher quality sides so let’s judge him in those games

AdamB and StephenH like this.
  10. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Bert Bliss

He had loads of room as they had no midfield cover
    And he did exactly what he needed to do to be arguably the best player on the pitch in the game

DeanoAustin likes this.
  11. parklane1

parklane1 Willie Hall

I have been critical of him this season but he had a good game yesterday, now IF he can carry on doing the same against better sides then Newcastle then maybe all the hype that has been said about him in the past may prove true. Lets hope so.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  12. braineclipse

braineclipse Jimmy Cantrell

Agree that he has to perform against better teams too.

I have very few doubts about his ability on the ball to be able to do that. He's shown in the past that he can, his ability on the ball is fantastic. Even yesterday, like in the buildup to the third goal he had very good involvements when there wasn't a lot of space.

As has been the case for quite a while. Two factors that will decide if has that impact in games against better teams.

1. His defensive work and stamina being up to scratch so that he can be trusted to play. I see yesterday as another step in the right direction. Not the highest intensity game, but lasted 90 minutes. No big issues with his defensive work. Still room for improvement, but moving on the right direction.

2. Can we get him on the ball in those key areas enough so that he can do his thing. The Newcastle game wasn't a good test of that. They were poor and we were able to play our from the back through whatever their version of pressure was. We were also able to find space much easier than in most games.

I did like that he took responsibility early on when we'd been poor in the opening 10 minutes. That's a good sign. Came deeper a bit, good movement, obviously wanted the ball.

Progress, now for the next step of progress. For him and the rest of the team.

Bedfordspurs and parklane1 like this.
  13. StephenH

StephenH David Ginola

Credit to the lad. Now we know there is truly a top play in there, let’s see it more often please.

14. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Bert Bliss

he was also the one playing deep when he got fouled by Voldemort
    He had a very very good game

Daisuk and papaspur like this.
  15. FatBloke

FatBloke Ronnie Rosenthal

This is the crux of the matter. Is Ndombele good enough that we can set up with a water carrier to enable him to play his natural game? It's not good enough for Ndombele to have 1 good game in 4 as he doesn't do anywhere near enough for the team when he's having an off day.

16. Gazza

Gazza Dean Richards

The fact that so many are quick to laud him after a team in the bottom three in hope that he becomes some amazing consistent performer makes me laugh. He has done nothing to prove his worth in the team, a cameo for spurs this season against newcastle is pants and utterly disgusting for the money he gets paid a week.

17. StephenH

StephenH David Ginola

Not saying he’s gods gift to football but just saying he had a good game and credit where credit is due

Bedfordspurs and harr1984 like this.
  18. papaspur

papaspur Neil Sullivan

Not as bad as someone bricking on their own player after having a good game. Many here have put up the disclaimer of playing against weak opposition... not sure what we're supposed to do about that lmao

19. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Bert Bliss

He did okay weak opposition
    They were the worst side we have played this season in the league
    That is a matter of fact by the way
    He had a great game though. Thats a matter of fact too (we’ll it’s an opinion but one that I think 99% agree on)
    Let’s see him do that on Sunday vs a better organised and technically better side in West Ham. That’s when we will see

papaspur likes this.
  20. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Paul Robinson

I understand the point about weak opposition, but i watched the Liverpool highlights against Watford and Watford were absolutely awful, hasn't stopped salah being hailed as the best player in the world.
    Let's cut the guy some slack for now, it would have been very easy for him, and the rest of the team to not show after the start they had.

Kandi1977, Bullet, Robbo and 3 others like this.