• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Aims

Rose missed 18 games
Dembélé 14 games
Kane 8 games
Lamela 32 games
Toby 8 games
Jan 5 games

That is just the Premership games, if that is you idea of being lucky.

Exactly. We put out our first choice 11 once in the league all season.

I'm not entirely sure a £22m move for a 22 year old qualifies as a big money move anymore. Particularly seeing as he was phased in quite gradually and took a year and a half to really establish himself as a first team player.

Our main transfer strategy seems closely tied to our overall strategy for improvement. Player development. There have been exceptions, particularly if a player seems undervalued in the market. But out main strategy seems to be to sign players with the potential to improve both their ability and their value.

Every transfer window for as far add I can remember there have been those calling for big money marquee signings. And the way this particular window has been special had been highlighted as a reason. But those signings have been rather few and far between. I don't see why that should change at this point. Levy has been quite clear on that in his communication with the trust too.

Off course we're willing to spend money if the right player becomes available for the right price. But any player that is clearly good enough to come in and significantly improve us is going to be quite obviously outstanding already. And it would be fairly easy for one of our richer competitors to just throw another 100k p/w at him and snap him up ahead of us.

A lot more players around with the potential to reach that level over a 1-2 , year period. Identifying the right players among those and then putting our player development ability to good use seems to be the smarter overall strategy. And where we'll continue to focus our attention.

22m, if it was as I've seen 25-26 in most places, was still a considerable amount prior to the last TV deal and wold probably be in the 30-40 bracket now, if not higher.

My point was in reply to GB and that the type of signing AdamB was suggesting isn't an alien concept for THFC and doesn't go against the grain of our policy in the market, and of course that big money signings aren't all huge ego/mercenaries that Poch can't work with as was suggested.

Last edited:
Rose missed 18 games
Dembélé 14 games
Kane 8 games
Lamela 32 games
Toby 8 games
Jan 5 games

That is just the Premership games, if that is you idea of being lucky.

It is lucky given that we have a few players who we dont really have appropriate cover for and those didnt miss too many games - TA, JV, Lloris, Eriksen, Kane....you could even add Wanyama to that list given that Dier has been playing at the back a lot.

Also, Lamela isnt first choice really if we go 3 at the back so including him above is a bit disingenuous

We did get lucky with injuries. We lost players for a couple months, but generally in positions where we had cover and, apart from Lamela (who's contributoin is debatable), no long-term injuries. Had we lost Llors, verts, TA, Wanyama, Eriksen or Kane to a long injury we would have been scrwewed

Unlike any of the other contenders who could easily lose 5 or 6 major players to long term injuries!!!!!!!!

It is lucky given that we have a few players who we dont really have appropriate cover for and those didnt miss too many games - TA, JV, Lloris, Eriksen, Kane....you could even add Wanyama to that list given that Dier has been playing at the back a lot.

Also, Lamela isnt first choice really if we go 3 at the back so including him above is a bit disingenuous

As i say if you think we have been lucky i hope i never see your opinion on what is unlucky.

FVLJMxM.png

You cant say that so definitively, noone knows what Poch's first eleven really is for sure....

Fortunately we don't have a first XI, more like 12 or 13 (depending on Lamela returning to fitness) players that could be considered starters. If we can add another couple of players to that group we'll be in excellent shape.

Comparing our injuries last season to theirs isn't really appropriate as they didn't have European football to knacker themselves out. Compare us to Man C, Man U or Arse - would be interested to see that data

Comparing our injuries last season to theirs isn't really appropriate as they didn't have European football to knacker themselves out. Compare us to Man C, Man U or Arse - would be interested to see that data

And yet, we were both fighting for the title at the same time. So compare the conditions we were each fighting under.
Of course the comparison is appropriate because it's the only one you can make. Even if we had slightly more onerous conditions than Chelsea.

I know it's election week, but you can't just pick and choose stats to try and suit your argument mate!

You said we'd been lucky with injuries last season, the facts clearly show that we were anything but lucky, we were, in fact, "un-lucky"!!

22m, if it was as I've seen 25-26 in most places, was still a considerable amount prior to the last TV deal and wold probably be in the 30-40 bracket now, if not higher.

My point was in reply to GB and that the type of signing AdamB was suggesting isn't an alien concept for THFC and doesn't go against the grain of our policy in the market, and of course that big money signings aren't all huge ego/mercenaries that Poch can't work with as was suggested.
I think we agree on the larger points.

I agree that a big money marquee deal isn't beyond us. Just that it might not at all be where we choose to focus our attention and limited funds.

I think we agree on the larger points. A big money, marquee type signing isn't out of the question. Though I don't see our recent transfer history as one that indicates this as likely.

My point is more one about the almost constant focus on this from some of our fans. Every window this is the window where the club must pay up big for some superstar. Probably influenced by the media selling that narrative as the best path to success. When our actual path to success has been rather different. Just look at the cost of our starting 11.

I think we agree on the larger points. A big money, marquee type signing isn't out of the question. Though I don't see our recent transfer history as one that indicates this as likely.

My point is more one about the almost constant focus on this from some of our fans. Every window this is the window where the club must pay up big for some superstar. Probably influenced by the media selling that narrative as the best path to success. When our actual path to success has been rather different. Just look at the cost of our starting 11.

Agreed, I would rather we spent £5m on the next Dele than £89m on the next pogba.
Are thosr saying we should spend £10s of millions on a big player the same that moan about soldado, lamela and sissoko.
Cost now has little indication of future success.

Our record hits and misses:

1 Moussa Sissoko
£29.75m
2 Roberto Soldado
£25.50m

3 Erik Lamela
£25.50m
4 Heung-Min Son
£25.50m

5 Darren Bent
£21.04m

6 Vincent Janssen
£18.79m

7 David Bentley
£18.70m

8 Luka Modric
£17.85m

9 Paulinho
£16.77m

10 Mousa Dembélé
£16.15m

11 Sergiy Rebrov
£15.30m

12 Roman Pavlyuchenko
£14.79m

13 Robbie Keane
£14.20m

14 Jermain Defoe
£13.94m
15 Toby Alderweireld
£13.60m
16 Dimitar Berbatov
£13.35m
17 Jermaine Jenas
£12.75m
18 Wilson Palacios
£12.75m
19 Gareth Bale
£12.50m
20 Victor Wanyama
£12.24m

21 Clinton N'Jie
£11.99m

22 Vedran Corluka
£11.69m
23 Christian Eriksen
£11.48m

24 Alan Hutton
£11.05m

25 Ben Davies
£10.75m

Agreed, I would rather we spent £5m on the next Dele than £89m on the next pogba.
Are thosr saying we should spend £10s of millions on a big player the same that moan about soldado, lamela and sissoko.
Cost now has little indication of future success.

Probably, some of our fans seemed to be obsessed about buying big and then when it does not work out ( Soladao, Sissoko) bitch about them not being worth it.

Back