• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Stevie Me

No one can seriously expect rangers to win anything for the foreseeable future,except for the rangers fans, who are almost as deluded as Liverpool fans. so when it fails, he can walk away and say that it wasn't his fault. And as much as I dislike the guy, chances are it won't be his fault.
Rangers are in a mess of epic proportions, and it won't change anytime soon.
Actually the deluded part applies to both halves of the old firm.

Pat Nevin on the radio the other morning was saying (hugely paraphrased) that if Gerrard was given time to build something he might have a chance, but he didn't see that happening - with Rangers and Celtic there are only two possible outcomes to a season, first or failure.

It doesn't really bode well for Stevie.

Pat Nevin on the radio the other morning was saying (hugely paraphrased) that if Gerrard was given time to build something he might have a chance, but he didn't see that happening - with Rangers and Celtic there are only two possible outcomes to a season, first or failure.

It doesn't really bode well for Stevie.

I heard that interview and totally agreed, first or worst, there is nothing else for old firm fans.
As long as Celtic continue to win the league rangers will churn through managers.
Rangers are in no position to win the league any time soon, so it will be a revolving door on the managers office.

I heard that interview and totally agreed, first or worst, there is nothing else for old firm fans.
As long as Celtic continue to win the league rangers will churn through managers.
Rangers are in no position to win the league any time soon, so it will be a revolving door on the managers office.
"first or worst". That's what I was trying to remember!

Completely agree. Putting himself in that position, Gerard's managerial career could be over before it has begun.

Completely agree. Putting himself in that position, Gerard's managerial career could be over before it has begun.

Not saying it's a good move for him, because it isn't, but it's a free hit. The problem at rangers isn't the manager, it goes way deeper.
They had a chance to reboot, start again and build from the bottom up. Take the knocks at the start learn and build.
Instead they went at it scatter gun, throwing money around looking for instant 'success'.
Success being better than Celtic.
There is no plan, no cohesion or ethos.
Even if Celtic stand still it will take the rest of Scottish football years to catch up.

I think club owners should be able to see past a failure to overhaul Celtic, who have three times the revenue and wage bill.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F6d9c53e2-4fcc-11e8-9812-5f003d09c84c.png

Source

The problem is fan expectation. Rangers fans are not going to accept that Celtic are on a different planet, so will the owners stick with him when they fail to get near Celtic. Reasonable expectation is getting ahead of Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs. If he does the latter, I don't see why English owners won't give him a chance.

P.S. That record signing for Celtic is a surprise.

I think club owners should be able to see past a failure to overhaul Celtic, who have three times the revenue and wage bill.

Source

The problem is fan expectation. Rangers fans are not going to accept that Celtic are on a different planet, so will the owners stick with him when they fail to get near Celtic. Reasonable expectation is getting ahead of Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs. If he does the latter, I don't see why English owners won't give him a chance.

The record signing was the start of the problem.
Celtic bought Sutton and hartson for about £10m, David Murray had spouted his mouth off so much about out spending Celtic he ran out and spent all that money on Flo. Even though advocaat the then rangers manager didn't want him.
That attitude has never left rangers, spend our way out of trouble.

The record signing was the start of the problem.
Celtic bought Sutton and hartson for about £10m, David Murray had spouted his mouth off so much about out spending Celtic he ran out and spent all that money on Flo. Even though advocaat the then rangers manager didn't want him.
That attitude has never left rangers, spend our way out of trouble.
What should Rangers do to close the gap?

Joke appointment with 'marketing-first' written all over it.

Suddenly, the under-employed, too-much-time-on-their-hands Liverpool fan base are all over this appointment. Watching it, talking about it amongst themselves, reacting to reports in the media. All of it with the agenda of watching to see when Legend Stevie is ready to assume the same role at Anfield.

Whether they win or lose on the pitch, Rangers think they can hardly lose the battle to be noticed. I think they might learn a lesson the hard way. Like Liverpool did in his declining years.

Source

I think that everyone is aware of the financial as we as sporting gap between the two clubs. My point was, what would constitute success for him up there? He can conceivably only take them one place higher in the league. Why choose Rangers over a moderately sized Championship side?

I think that everyone is aware of the financial as we as sporting gap between the two clubs. My point was, what would constitute success for him up there? He can conceivably only take them one place higher in the league. Why choose Rangers over a moderately sized Championship side?

from his point of view, most of the games will be easy wins, he has the excuse of celtics domination and the club at least has a reasonable infrastructure

You mean it isn't already?

I'm actually hoping he does OK up there - well enough for scousers to think he would do a decent job for them and destroy them.
Exactly what I was thinking. Let him do well enough for him to be considered for the Liverpool post and then let the games begin!

Source

I wonder how much of that Celtic revenue comes from the Champions League? What happens if they fail to qualify for the Group stages? (as is entirely feasible).

I think it was 30m. So they have three times the revenue with CL group stage and "only" twice the revenue without.

Captain Gerrard's costly slip gifted Chelsea a goal at Anfield in a game that ended in defeat and ultimately led to Emirates Marketing Project winning the title.

"This wound's been open since my experience [in 2014]," said Gerrard.

"I hope Liverpool [win] but it won't make my wound feel any different."

Gerrard, 38, still keeps in touch with some of his old team-mates and says "the door is open" to any Liverpool player who wants to chat about his experiences of title run-ins.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47489368

Back