1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Squad not good enough...or unable to play a different style?

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by DubaiSpur, 13 Feb 2021.

1. metalgear

metalgear Jimmy McCormick

I think the problem was exacerbated by the combination of poch and levy. poch wanted obedient simple minded players and levy wanted bargain not-cnuts. resulted in the nicest, softest team possible without no street smarts but happy to huff and puff.

Sent from my SM-G985F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

LincsSpur likes this.
  2. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Paul Robinson

There's nothing wrong with the diamond. It is in fact a very good, adaptable formation, that often leaves you outnumbering the opposition in the key areas. It does need a fair amount of coaching to perfect though as the diamond needs to kind of rotate in tandem.

3. Baleforce

Baleforce Paul Miller

yeah, just look at how well England used it with the "golden generation", wait what...

(only joking, I agree with you on the diamond)

4. Finney Is Back

Hojbjerg has made three bad mistakes in the last two games. That is more than Aurier this season. That doesn't mean that Hojbjerg isn't the answer.

I'd be replacing 5 players in the Spurs first team and about 8 in the squad before I bothered trying to upgrade the first choice right back.

Who do you propose we go out and upgrade Aurier with by the way?

Robspur12 and StephenH like this.
  5. StephenH

StephenH Les Howe

and more the question, how are we paying? With shirt buttons?

6. Bishop

Bishop Eidur Gudjohnsen

Oh I only said "dreaded diamond" because I remembered how derided it was by the fan base at the time. Obviously the issue was we didn't have the players for the system. With the additions we did make and attempted to make the shape may well have been more successful.

7. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ralph Coates

Yeah maybe

8. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

Aurier is the least of our problems at this time, priority ( imo) is a keeper to replace Lloris and another CB. Once we have done that we can see what is left in the kitty and go from there.

9. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ralph Coates

I agree
    Players who take charge from the back made a huge difference to pool

LincsSpur likes this.
  10. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

I agree, and its why we look so open when we are attacked there is no real organization in the back four, i know I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you will say that is down to JOSE but a lot of it is caused by our players not trusting each other as they know that they make so many mistakes.

LincsSpur likes this.
  11. Finney Is Back

Which centre back are you keeping in there to play alongside the new one mate? Genuinely interested.

12. Hashegotthesackyet?

Hashegotthesackyet? Neil Ruddock

Andros Townsend

13. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

I think i would give Rodon or even Tanguy the job, if we can persuade a real good CB in he could help those two progress. ( or that would be the plan anyway :))

Finney Is Back likes this.
  14. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Jimmy Neighbour

I think he is perfect for us, not perfect, but perfect for us.
    He has the long term interests of the club heart, takes care to keep the traditions and ethos of the club and fanbase alive and is generally on the right side of things.

Bullet and AdamB like this.
  15. DubSpur

DubSpur William Gallas

Most of what we have should go into a new keeper and 2 CBs. This idea that we are going to replace 6 or 7 players in the summer is ridiculous.
    Getting a top-quality keeper that the defence have faith in and 2 CBs that can organise the defence and we will immediately be a much stronger team.
    Spreading the money we do have around several players, as many have suggested, is just going to mean we get in players similar to what we have now. Spend it on the keeper and CBs
    and then if we spot some good value for money or players that we believe have potential get them in.

Keeper: New Keeper and Lloris
    RB: Aurier and Doherty
    CB: Tanganga, Rodon and 2 new CBs
    LB: Reg and Sessegnon
    I'd keep Dier for his ability to play a number of positions in defence and cover DM if injuries hit and sell Toby, Sanchez and Davies.
    Depending on the quality we get in that could be a good defence for a few years.

Rorschach and parklane1 like this.
  16. DubSpur

DubSpur William Gallas

Because in general, he has improved the club in every area, great stadium and now has now got us to a place that we are close to competing financially with the biggest clubs.
    Pretty obvious I would've thought.

parklane1 likes this.
  17. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

I can't dance with any of that, i would keep Dier as well as i believe he could still be a back up in CM which i believe is his best position still.

18. AdamB

AdamB Chris Jones

This is why we need a mid/long term plan. Over the next say 2-3 years, I think we'll need to sign something like 2 keepers, 2 CBs, a CM to replace Sissoko, replacements for Moura and Lamela and a CF.

Thats 8 players. They're not all first choice players obviously, but its 8 players, and before considering anyone who leaves or doesnt fit the bill any more. Some are higher priority than others

Total cost? Assuming we sign players in our historical sweet-spot (22-25 year olds), £200m or a bit over say? But I think the club (Levy) needs to look at this summer as the start of that re-build for the next 3 summer windows and 2 winter windows. It might mean that we dont quality for the CL this season or the two following seasons but thats the price we pay for the squad stagnating for a period

It might sound a long way into the future but planning to challenge in 2023-4 is probably realistic. I think its far more realistic that thinking we'll be able to sign more 'finished product' players in the 25-28 age range given their prices will be double and we have too many gaps

glasgowspur likes this.
  19. LincsSpur

LincsSpur Carlo Cudicini

Top post

Just to add that yes we could get rid of Jose as a lot are saying but would any manager do any better with this shower?

Pluses are that both Rodon and Tanganga are still young and show promise

DubaiSpur likes this.
  20. LincsSpur

LincsSpur Carlo Cudicini

I agree that CB is Dier’s best position

But still not good enough and Champo at best