• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Spurs v spammers***

For all we know Paratici may have picked a manager who was similar to Mourinho with his tactics to try to ensure we had a bit of continuity. Lurching from one type of manager to the opposite can result in players who have been brought in becoming expensive wastes of money.

I think Paratici did really well in terms of player recruitment this summer, especially as he had to operate with a low (£30m net) budget as well as having to slash the wage bill. I think without him (or a similarly experienced DoF) we would've been in serious trouble operating within those parameters.

Agree on both points. Management is hard and it might be possible that Levy was desparate and got Paratici in only when he found the stuation futile. The big issue for me is that Levy not too longed ago highlighted the Spurs DNA when Mourinho was sacked. Nuno didn't fit the bill then and still doesn't now. The only way to reconcile this is that Paratici and Levy agreed a long transition phase to bring back the Spurs DNA which I assume is exciting attacking football - whatever it means in modern football.

Maybe its starting by rebuilding the back with Nuno, but its a sheer waste of talent up front at the moment. We're getting used to the idea that Kane has to leave but I think Son will be asking to leave soon if we keep this up.

Fergie mastered the art of new ideas
Klopp does that well too
Pep too
Reinvent the team and change the system with new ideas, and new coaches
It where Poch went wrong. Same message to the same players from the same coaches

Pep and Klopp know how to use competition for places to motivate their players. Helped by a healthy and actively used transfer budget and a ruthlessness in letting players go when they fail to perform. Poch sticks to favourites which ultimately leads to a divided dressing room. People joked about Redknapp but he gave us simple, entertaining football with an infectious positivity in the dressing room despite the churn in players.

Pep and Klopp know how to use competition for places to motivate their players. Helped by a healthy and actively used transfer budget and a ruthlessness in letting players go when they fail to perform. Poch sticks to favourites which ultimately leads to a divided dressing room. People joked about Redknapp but he gave us simple, entertaining football with an infectious positivity in the dressing room despite the churn in players.

Where most of the players mason and Kane took exception to redknap signings?
One of the biggest issues imv is that we hold onto players too long, players that for whatever reason should have moved on.

I suppose I wasn't being specific with using the term such as coach. More the end result, whether that is using coaches or doing it themselves. Fergie was a great example of this. He himself wasn't the best coach, but he knew what weaknesses he had and he could see what others could add to his overall product. Klopp sounds like he's made from that same mould in that respect.
Agree on both points. Management is hard and it might be possible that Levy was desparate and got Paratici in only when he found the stuation futile. The big issue for me is that Levy not too longed ago highlighted the Spurs DNA when Mourinho was sacked. Nuno didn't fit the bill then and still doesn't now. The only way to reconcile this is that Paratici and Levy agreed a long transition phase to bring back the Spurs DNA which I assume is exciting attacking football - whatever it means in modern football.

Maybe its starting by rebuilding the back with Nuno, but its a sheer waste of talent up front at the moment. We're getting used to the idea that Kane has to leave but I think Son will be asking to leave soon if we keep this up.
Or maybe Levy doesn't actually know what the Spurs DNA entails and doesn't know how to implement it. If he picks the right coach it happens but he often hasn't so yeah i think it was a lot of words but with no real idea how to implement.

We've never had the squad depth to offer competition for places even if a coach desired it. Poch definitely used the small core of players but he didn't exactly have quality that he was just ignoring and leaving on the bench. The club's you mentioned are big clubs and act like one. We don't.

Levy was stupid to comment on style of play.

It was an attempt to appease some of the fanbase.

Football is a complicated sport with many paths to success, it’s foolish to place arbitrary limitations on how progress can be achieved.
At the time he may well have thought it
It’s also something we should aspire too
Some Cora he’s fix the style quickly and some take more time and more money too
West Ham are proud of their style yet it’s now long ball counter attacking and being physical, yet their fans are happy as it’s progress
Brighton went from super defensive to possession football one summer. The key with both sides is a lack of expectation which maybe aligns to what you say

At the time he may well have thought it
It’s also something we should aspire too
Some Cora he’s fix the style quickly and some take more time and more money too
West Ham are proud of their style yet it’s now long ball counter attacking and being physical, yet their fans are happy as it’s progress
Brighton went from super defensive to possession football one summer. The key with both sides is a lack of expectation which maybe aligns to what you say
When have West Ham ever in their history other than when Harry was there played good football?!? [emoji1787]

I think it's a body myth that they've self created. [emoji1787]

Poch Mark 2, Mason, Mourinho and now Nuno couldn't get a tune out of these players.
A lot of players have been signed since Poch (especially as he barely got to use the 3 players the club finally got him 12 PL games before they sacked him).

Sessegnon
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Clarke
Bergwijn
Regulion
Hojbjerg
Doherty
Hart
Rodon
Vinicius
Bale
Romero
Gill
Royale
Gollini

Thats 16 new players since since Poch’s team that got to the CL final (and I’ve probably missed at least one)

The problem is that only really Ndombele and Romero were considered to be real ‘top’ players when we signed them.

Another problem is that in those 3 years only Skipp has come through from the youth team to become a first team player (and we probably need 1 a year to be coming through and using the loan system properly as we did with Skipp).

Last edited:
We've never had the squad depth to offer competition for places even if a coach desired it. Poch definitely used the small core of players but he didn't exactly have quality that he was just ignoring and leaving on the bench. The club's you mentioned are big clubs and act like one. We don't.
Harry Redknapp was the last Spurs manager to have a really deep squad I think.

A lot of players have been signed since Poch (especially as he barely got to use the 3 players the club finally got him 12 PL games before they sacked him).

Sessegnon
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Clarke
Bergwijn
Regulion
Hojbjerg
Doherty
Hart
Rodon
Vinicius
Bale
Romero
Gill
Royale
Gollini

Thats 16 new players since since Poch’s team that got to the CL final (and I’ve probably missed at least one)

The problem is that only really Ndombele and Romero were considered to be real ‘top’ players when we signed them.

Another problem is that in those 3 years only Skipp has come through from the youth team to become a first team player (and we probably need 1 a year to be coming through and using the loan system properly as we did with Skipp).

Just underscores my point that poor recruitment has been the root of all our problems.

In Poch's reign we also bought many duffers.- Jansen, NKoudu, Njai, Sissoko, Gazzinga Sanchez and Foyth immediately spring to mind, plus of course NDummy, LoCelso, Clarke and Sessegnon - all of whom continue to be underwhelming and nowhere near justifying their fee

Whoever is responsible for presiding over this state of affairs ( ? Hitchen) should be sacked for rank incompetence.

Just underscores my point that poor recruitment has been the root of all our problems.

In Poch's reign we also bought many duffers.- Jansen, NKoudu, Njai, Sissoko, Gazzinga Sanchez and Foyth immediately spring to mind, plus of course NDummy, LoCelso, Clarke and Sessegnon - all of whom continue to be underwhelming and nowhere near justifying their fee

Whoever is responsible for presiding over this state of affairs ( ? Hitchen) should be sacked for rank incompetence.
We can't sack the chairman and minority owner though.

Every team is going to get a mixture of duffers and good signings.... You also have to question how many of the signings were those the manager wanted as first choice versus those that came in after the first choice wasn't secured due to lack of finances (i.e. Mane, Wjinaldum, Grealish, Bruno Fernandes). One thing I will say is that a common denominator in our poor strike rate on players over the last few years is that we haven't had a DoF in place. Hopefully now that we do we'll see the suitability of the signings we make improve again.

Every team is going to get a mixture of duffers and good signings.... You also have to question how many of the signings were those the manager wanted as first choice versus those that came in after the first choice wasn't secured due to lack of finances (i.e. Mane, Wjinaldum, Grealish, Bruno Fernandes). One thing I will say is that a common denominator in our poor strike rate on players over the last few years is that we haven't had a DoF in place. Hopefully now that we do we'll see the suitability of the signings we make improve again.

We will probably never know the truth about the non-signings. What we do know is that the vast majority of signings were duffers. Was this Poch? Was this Hitchen? If not them, then who?

I certainly hope the new DoF improves the strike rate. I think he has made a decent start so far.

We will probably never know the truth about the non-signings. What we do know is that the vast majority of signings were duffers. Was this Poch? Was this Hitchen? If not them, then who?

I certainly hope the new DoF improves the strike rate. I think he has made a decent start so far.
Or was it simply that he was operating under an inadequate budget and we didn't have a DoF in place to make up for that by doing the clever sort of deals that Paratici did over the summer?

Back