• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Shane Long

I don't understand why we need pace when everyone sets up in 2 banks of 4 against us and does not give us any space to run into.

Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have plenty of pace in their side and use it well. It's not as if teams spend the entire game camped in their 18 yard box against us. It's a useful weapon to have, better to have it than not have it.

Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have plenty of pace in their side and use it well. It's not as if teams spend the entire game camped in their 18 yard box against us. It's a useful weapon to have, better to have it than not have it.

they have technically good players with pace, we are talking about Shane Long who is a limited striker.

I think part of the reason we didn't move for a striker in January is that we thought better players could be gotten this summer. That for me means better than Shane Long.

That=t is a naive view, a striker with pace gives us a different option. There will be times when raw pace combined with Kane's ability is the best option and other times when pace may be the best option, especially on the counter.

Different options are good to have. But Long next to Kane brings up the same questions as when Berahino gets suggested as an option next to Kane. Is he a better option next to Kane than bringing on Lamela, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Chadli or Clinton? I don't see it.

At the same time will he be an effective backup striker to Kane? Not so sure. Other than high intensity pressing he seems quite different to Kane and is much more limited.

We also have pace in Son and Clinton and of course from our full backs.

Better to have pace than to not have pace, but better to have pace from a better player than Shane Long if we want more of it.

Based on not a lot I really get the feeling Poch wasn't at that game to watch Shane Long...
Apparently (allegedly) Liverpool have shown interest in Shane Long. So photos of Poch, Jesus and Mitchell (the holy trinity?) with Long's agent might lead to Liverpool upping their interest or give Soton a bit more bargaining power.
I like Long, but is he really the best we can find, with CL football guaranteed for next season? His age seems to go against the Poch model. I agree that Poch & co were probably there for other reasons and it was Mitchell's previous connections with Long that led to the sitting and dining together.

Different options are good to have. But Long next to Kane brings up the same questions as when Berahino gets suggested as an option next to Kane. Is he a better option next to Kane than bringing on Lamela, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Chadli or Clinton? I don't see it.

Well I have only seen Kane and Berahino play together as under 21 level and they were a dynamic partnership with Berahino scoring 10 goals in 11 matches. I would also suggest that Berahino unlike the players you named can play as a striker.

But remember Berahino is not the only player out there, it is not a choice of Long, Berahino or nobody else

Well I have only seen Kane and Berahino play together as under 21 level and they were a dynamic partnership with Berahino scoring 10 goals in 11 matches. I would also suggest that Berahino unlike the players you named can play as a striker.

But remember Berahino is not the only player out there, it is not a choice of Long, Berahino or nobody else

The "can play as a striker" thing:

1. If you're talking about someone playing with Kane that is of less importance. Unless you think a 4-4-2 with Long/Berahino alongside Kane will be clearly superior to a 4-2-3-1 with Alli/Eriksen/Lamela/Son behind Kane for whatever reason in a given situation. If we're struggling to score against a team parking the bus and on the bench are Chadli and Long and our choice is to put on one of those for a struggling Alli (for example) one being a striker and one not being a striker isn't the point. The point is which player is more likely to win us the game by coming on. I've seen nothing from Long to say that he's more likely to make an impact than Son or Chadli at this point. And I've seen plenty of reasons to think that he'd be less effective than Alli. Despite Alli "not being able to play as a a striker".

2. If you're talking about replacing Kane as our lone striker in our current system "can play as a striker" is only useful as far as that player actually works as a striker in our system. Remember we've sold both Soldado and Adebayor, both "can play as a striker", but neither fit our system. I'm not seeing Long as a particularly good backup to Kane.

I'm most certainly remembering that there are other strikers out there than Long and Berahino. I said in the post you quoted that I think we should look for better players than Shane Long.

I think Berahino can play alongside Kane in a 2 or in one of the 3 positions behind Kane

Sure. But then the questions are:

1. Is he better in those 3 positions than what we already have in our squad?
2. Would him alongside Kane make us more likely to win points than putting Chadli or Son on in the attacking 3?
3. Can he effectively replace Kane as a lone striker either because of an injury or rotation?

1 I would suggest he is no worse and thus increases our strength in depth
2 A vast improvement on Chadli, as for Son I m yet to work out how good he is, I am not gonna judge him on his first season
3 Left to me it would be a moot [point as I would sign Berahino and a natural central striker who would be a replacement

According to @SkySportsLyall, he was watching Dutch striker (no, really) Vincent Janssen.
Sounds more likely we'd be checking out some Dutch talent.

If Poch was really targeting Long would he really be sitting in public next to his agent watching a game? I think both him and Spurs as a whole operate much more behind the scenes than that...

I like him and think he offers something different to our current players.

I'd take him at Spurs, but the question is more about how much would I be willing to pay for him.

Shane Long is fudging brick. We are not going to sign him.

This rumour is derived from a random photograph that proves nothing.

Admittedly it's provided more basis than most rumours that are generated by sports 'journalists' in this day and age.

1 I would suggest he is no worse and thus increases our strength in depth
2 A vast improvement on Chadli, as for Son I m yet to work out how good he is, I am not gonna judge him on his first season
3 Left to me it would be a moot [point as I would sign Berahino and a natural central striker who would be a replacement

1. It's a position where we have quite a lot of strength in depth already and young players like Clinton and Onomah who might get a lot better from getting that game time. Shane Long will not. I think we should look for better than long if we're looking to spend money for this position. We shouldn't look for "no worse" than what we already have on the bench. We should look for clearly better or bags of potential imo.

2. Interesting about Chadli. He has 3 seasons of PL football behind him. 15 starts, 28 starts and 10 starts. In the one season he got a full season of football with regular starts he scored 11 and got 5 assists. Playing almost exclusively wide left. Shane Long meanwhile has 6 seasons of PL football and has only once reached 10 goals (this season season), and that's playing most of his games as an out and out striker. If we swapped Chadli for Long I think Southampton would get the far better deal. Agree about Son, who clearly has a lot of talent. Seems to me, regardless of how we feel about Chadli, Shane Long would not even be automatically the first player to come off the bench for these roles. It seems a strange signing to me.

3. So Long would only be an emergency third choice lone striker? And it wouldn't matter if he fits our system as a lone striker or not. Yet him "being a striker" is one of the key points why he should be signed? I don't follow the logic here at all.

Limited my arse. The guy has great touch and ability on the ball. His assists per minute for Southampton in the League is around the same as Eriksen's for us.

Fairly small sample size though. I suppose you could have gotten a larger sample size by including his assist numbers when at other PL clubs. I suppose that wouldn't fit your argument though?

I don't know much about Long and he's likely not even a target, but if we do sign him, he probably will be one of two strikers we sign, not the only striker we sign. He won't be our CL/PL striker option, but could be a cup/easy PL game option, along with the second striker we sign. So all these arguments are really moot. It's not Long or Berahino/Batshuyai/whomever. It would be both.

3. So Long would only be an emergency third choice lone striker? And it wouldn't matter if he fits our system as a lone striker or not. Yet him "being a striker" is one of the key points why he should be signed? I don't follow the logic here at all.

You are confusing me dude. I never mentioned those issues in relation to Long, I just said think there are better options out there. I do not think Long is a bad player but nothing special, he is not going to get much better and in a couple of years he will probably be on the downward curve.

Fortunately, I am pretty sure Potch does not want him, and also Southampton want to keep him and so will make it difficult for us :)

We finished third last season, and we are in the CL, there are better options, and I stand by that. Just because Long is a striker and we need a striker does not mean we should sign him.

Last edited:
1. It's a position where we have quite a lot of strength in depth already and young players like Clinton and Onomah who might get a lot better from getting that game time. Shane Long will not. I think we should look for better than long if we're looking to spend money for this position. We shouldn't look for "no worse" than what we already have on the bench. We should look for clearly better or bags of potential imo.

Onomah has not shown he is ready for anything more than the League Cup, and even Clinton so far, has only shown me he has pace, nothing else. In the CL or going for the title we can do with better be it Berahino or someone else

So Shane Long will not get a lot better from getting extra game time, you talk as if I have been saying he would. I don't want him, never have so while respond to me with that comment :)

Back