• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Racism on this forum

Ok, I’ve followed this thread since its inception so thought I’d throw my tuppence worth in :

Stephenh raised a valid point , his belief or perception that there was a racist undertone to a particular post (and a growing propensity for these comments to be made) is entirely fair. The fact that he perceives it/them as offensive should be enough for us as adults and presumably half-decent humans to restrain our comments.

Dawaxman actually nailed it several pages back with nothing more than a common sense post and approach to the world.

Glasgowspurs , I have had similar experiences being born and brought up in north London but in a very Catholic Irish environment, with the tendency to be asked to choose who I want to be. Shouldn’t I just be who I am ?

Whether people have any religious beliefs should not be dismissed or ridiculed, that is petty and pointless.

I’m not sure if Scara is just an intelligent, articulate man who uses words and carefully phrased opinions to wind people up or if he’s just a mildly intelligent dumb fudge who doesn’t care about other people .

For the record I love reading his posts, however for the life of me I can’t answer my own question.

Sent from a place where spiders kill you

If you actually intended the word “lie” then you are either extremely well read or incredibly prophetic....

Or it was just a mistake

When is something racist? When someone other than the perceived victims race calls them something. e.g the N word.

In my old job one of the team was black and the others mostly white. Really good banter everyone got on well both in and out of the office.

One day we were chatting before the notting hill carnival that weekend. He said that he wasn’t going. His next line was “ black people just don’t know how to behave themselves.” I didn’t say anything as he carried on his rant. I just listened, though however well we got on,didnt feel I could say much as i’m not black.

Ok, I’ve followed this thread since its inception so thought I’d throw my tuppence worth in :

Stephenh raised a valid point , his belief or perception that there was a racist undertone to a particular post (and a growing propensity for these comments to be made) is entirely fair. The fact that he perceives it/them as offensive should be enough for us as adults and presumably half-decent humans to restrain our comments.

Dawaxman actually nailed it several pages back with nothing more than a common sense post and approach to the world.

Glasgowspurs , I have had similar experiences being born and bought up in north London but in a very Catholic Irish environment, with the tendency to be asked to choose who I want to be. Shouldn’t I just be who I am ?

Whether people have any religious beliefs should not be dismissed or ridiculed, that is petty and pointless.

I’m not sure if Scara is just an intelligent, articulate man who uses words and carefully phrased opinions to wind people up or if he’s just a mildly intelligent dumb fudge who doesn’t care about other people .

For the record I love reading his posts, however for the life of me I can’t answer my own question.

I had a school friend who was a bit weird, but he had a great saying, I'm not and wont be an ism, I'm me.

"Sticks and stones will break my bones"
"But names will never hurt me"

No one is saying that calling names is inherently hurtful in itself , my question is why aren’t we old enough and ugly enough to admit we might sometimes upset/offend people. On a forum such as this I would be disappointed if someone deliberately upset/offended/abused/ridiculed/insulted me as we are actually on here for a common reason .

I think you are reading too much into the what was said, and not enough into the why it was said .

In 30 hours we will all be one again so why perpetuate this puerile discussion/argument?

Seems a bit childish to me .

"Sticks and stones will break my bones"
"But names will never hurt me"

What about being spat on, physically manhandled, had your girlfriend/family threatened and so on and so forth, whilst you are being called names? Or when questioning the person who's name-calling on why? Specifically if it's intended to be offensive or hate-filled to promote a reaction.

It's very easy to be flippant about it when you haven't experienced prejudice or racism yourself (I don't know if you have or haven't).

What about being spat on, physically manhandled, had your girlfriend/family threatened and so on and so forth, whilst you are being called names? Or when questioning the person who's name-calling on why? Specifically if it's intended to be offensive or hate-filled to promote a reaction.

It's very easy to be flippant about it when you haven't experienced prejudice or racism yourself (I don't know if you have or haven't).

All of which is not what started this thread, it was name calling and how some collapse under it ( or not). The things you add on to that are completely different.

We have all been called names during our life ( or at least i have not come across anyone who has not) and its not the end of the world, it just seems to me in todays world that there seems to be a rush to be offended rather then ignore what some brain dead macaron is calling you.

I’m off to bed now but will leave my final thoughts :

Have I upset people on this forum ?

Yes, and I’m not proud. Several years ago I debated depression and whether it’s actually real or just an “excuse” with an ex-member of this forum.

I apologised when I realised how wrong I was , and it made me a better person I hope.

I have argued many times with other members’ stupid opinions (IMHO) however I would like to think I accept everyone has their own perspective or leaning in life .

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to voice it. Maybe , just maybe, we as a forum of like-minded people could actually stop this flimflam and move on !!

COYS

All of which is not what started this thread, it was name calling and how some collapse under it ( or not). The things you add on to that are completely different.

We have all been called names during our life ( or at least i have not come across anyone who has not) and its not the end of the world, it just seems to me in todays world that there seems to be a rush to be offended rather then ignore what some brain dead macaron is calling you.

Mate , the fact that you say “collapse under it” just about sums it up.

Can you not grasp the basic fact that some people might actually be truly hurt or offended?

Just because you wouldn’t be doesn’t excuse the fact that others might.

I swear , my mum hates swearing. If you swore in front of her she would be offended , I would ask you not to, if you continued to do it then you are just plain and simple wrong.

Is that too hard for people to understand?

Now I am going to bed !

Mate , the fact that you say “collapse under it” just about sums it up.

Can you not grasp the basic fact that some people might actually be truly hurt or offended?

Just because you wouldn’t be doesn’t excuse the fact that others might.

I swear , my mum hates swearing. If you swore in front of her she would be offended , I would ask you not to, if you continued to do it then you are just plain and simple wrong.

Is that too hard for people to understand?

Now I am going to bed !

Sorry mate you really are blowing up what i have posted, i understand some wilt under name calling and some do not, simple as that. Name calling is just that nothing more nothing less.

Racism is vile and can destroy people and families, I've seen it happen in my extended family. I don't buy into sticks and stones expression as it damages children very easily. I believe most of us have a streak of racism in us in some form whether it be tribal or religious bigotry. I was bought up in a liberal working class family where I was taught to respect everyone, despite the bile I had to listen to at school and church. I have no time for religions and can not understand why anybody can believe what you wear or eat makes any difference to what sort of person you are.

Sorry mate you really are blowing up what i have posted, i understand some wilt under name calling and some do not, simple as that. Name calling is just that nothing more nothing less.

Why the digs about people collapsing or wilting from name-calling? I'm very happy for you that these things don't affect you but it's rather arrogant to assume that others should just get on with it like you can. The greatest achievements in human history to fight and beat oppression have been because people refused to just get on with it, made a stand, called out ignorance and oppression.

You think people in today's world are offended too easily, I'm inclined to agree to some respect. However the rise of the internet/social media has provided a platform for the most ignorant and despicable of views to be in the public domain (I know you can agree with me on this especially with your disdain for social media!) The current generation are making a stand against this and previous generations, mine included, are having to re-evaluate our interactions. It's a fine-line sometimes between freedom of speech, what is offensive and what isn't, and hate-speech. It's not always correct but this generation shouldn't be vilified for that.

They're labelled Generation Snowflake however I see with the current crop that they are out there, campaigning, debating, protesting, and making a stand. Whilst old farts like you and I complain on a football forum about name calling and things not being like they used to ;)

Why the digs about people collapsing or wilting from name-calling? I'm very happy for you that these things don't affect you but it's rather arrogant to assume that others should just get on with it like you can. The greatest achievements in human history to fight and beat oppression have been because people refused to just get on with it, made a stand, called out ignorance and oppression.

You think people in today's world are offended too easily, I'm inclined to agree to some respect. However the rise of the internet/social media has provided a platform for the most ignorant and despicable of views to be in the public domain (I know you can agree with me on this especially with your disdain for social media!) The current generation are making a stand against this and previous generations, mine included, are having to re-evaluate our interactions. It's a fine-line sometimes between freedom of speech, what is offensive and what isn't, and hate-speech. It's not always correct but this generation shouldn't be vilified for that.

They're labelled Generation Snowflake however I see with the current crop that they are out there, campaigning, debating, protesting, and making a stand. Whilst old farts like you and I complain on a football forum about name calling and things not being like they used to ;)

I can completely agree with your 2nd and 3rd paragraph, number I not so much as you are assuming that i am making digs i am not its just my opinion and as for being arrogant ( i feel offended ;)) that is called jumping to the wrong conclusion ( on your part).

that is called jumping to the wrong conclusion ( on your part).

i-am-sooooo-5c206d.jpg

Back