1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Quacks & Pseudoscience

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by scaramanga, 15 Dec 2015.

1. the dza

the dza Paul Robinson

I don't disagree with any of that.

2. milo

milo Tony Galvin Staff Member

And tighter controls/enforcement on claims made in advertising, promo literature, etc

3. the dza

the dza Paul Robinson

I'd hope that's already the case, but I suppose there will always be someone on the internet who says "acupuncture cured my aids" or some b0ll0cks.

4. Bullet

Bullet Chris Perry

You know when a player approaches the pitch, spins 180 degrees, touches the floor, points at Jesus and GHod in the sky, hops backwards and chants Kabbadi as he runs on the pitch?

That.

5. braineclipse

braineclipse Andy Thompson

There's obviously a big difference between vaccine denial and people getting a useful placebo effect from something with no active ingredients.

In both there's a similar problem in that solid scientific findings aren't being communicated well enough, research funding is mostly profit driven, and that flawed and bogus research is easy to do and publicise. The consequences of that range from the benign and even somewhat helpful placebo effects to the deadly and even civilization threatening (climate science denial).

For me there is no solution to the deadly and horrifying consequences that don't tackle the underlying issues. And thus also is by it's nature critical of the relatively benign.

If my teeth hurt I go to the dentist. If I need my car fixed I go to a mechanic. I will not get my car repairs at my dentist any more than I will get my teeth fixed by my mechanic. For scientific questions the consensus of experts in the scientific field really is what should be listened to. Not a single scientist, not some random person's anecdotal experience, not someone selling a product. Until that is widely accepted there will be serious problems that will seem impossible to solve.

scaramanga and milo like this.
  6. milo

7. milo

scaramanga likes this.
  8. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Chris Armstrong

QUOTE="milo, post: 1165551, member: 122"][/QUOTE]

Whose had their regular 10 year tetanus booster??

9. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Les Ferdinand

Whose had their regular 10 year tetanus booster??[/QUOTE]

They last for life now dont they?

Well that is what they told me last time I went to A&E when I had a bad crash off my bicycle and cuts and bruises and a sprain, asked them about a booster and they said they were a life time. Unless they dont think I have long left.

Bullet likes this.
  10. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Wilson Palacios

If you've had three or four of them then they think that can cover you for the rest of your life.