• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

The cost of making sure that children in the 5th biggest economy on the planet don’t go to bed hungry? Quite frankly, who cares?
I think we all agree they shouldn't go hungry.

But isn't there huge moral hazard (and accompanying long term bigger problems) in the govt giving people money to feed their families with and then giving the kids food anyway when they don't?

On the free school meals subject

My little girl started school and gets free school meals for the first 3 years of primary school

We’re financially in a position to not need this but there is no way to say you don’t need it and let another kid get our meals say during holidays etc
If the government really did need help to keep the cost down, I think what you suggest ie an opt out, or a transfer of what you are entitled to someone that needs it during the holidays would be a welcome idea.

But isn't there huge moral hazard (and accompanying long term bigger problems) in the govt giving people money to feed their families with and then giving the kids food anyway when they don't?

Perhaps the money being provided in the first place isn’t sufficient for families in poverty to live on? There were numerous stories on the news yesterday of schools sending kids home for half term with food parcels. It’s pretty damning that some head teachers are having to fund raise in their local communities to be able to do this.

I take your point that some might exploit the system - but that’s the same right through society (ie the PM awarding his pals fat contracts which weren’t tendered for). The exceptions shouldn’t form the basis of the rules imo.

Perhaps the money being provided in the first place isn’t sufficient for families in poverty to live on? There were numerous stories on the news yesterday of schools sending kids home for half term with food parcels. It’s pretty damning that some head teachers are having to fund raise in their local communities to be able to do this.

I take your point that some might exploit the system - but that’s the same right through society (ie the PM awarding his pals fat contracts which weren’t tendered for). The exceptions shouldn’t form the basis of the rules imo.

I was going to respond with something similar. I am sure there are bad parents who might not put feeding their families at the top of their priorities but they are at the extreme end of the scale - and it certainly isn't right to say well, it's their responsibility to feed their children, so let's leave their children hungry. I'd hazard a guess there have been far more employers who have taken advantage of the furlough scheme whilst making their employees work, (and likely at the same time fully endorsing their MP for voting against this motion). For the non-bad parents the provision of free school meals helps take away a small part of the stress of making their low income stretch to pay for everything for which they need to pay. This is about helping children in families who are already struggling during circumstances where unemployment is increasing, use of food banks is increasing, (some) self-employed people are falling through the cracks in the support being offered etc.

Free school meals have been around for years and years, funded by governments of both hues, so it's long established and accepted that additional help is needed. Personally I don't understand why children need help with meals for only ~40 weeks of the year, but not the other ~12. I was surprised to learn there is nothing for them outside of schools during the holidays.
Some of the comments being made by MPs who voted against the proposal are frankly abhorrent.

Does the benefit system in this country provide less than the cost of food?

It's been a while since I calculated what it pays, but it pays a lot more than the cost of feeding a family.

The kids might get it but after the parents have brought, fags, weed, booze, phone credit and their sky bill

Does the benefit system in this country provide less than the cost of food?

It's been a while since I calculated what it pays, but it pays a lot more than the cost of feeding a family.

My mate lost his job in April and he gets his rent covered and approx 1500 a month to cover rent, bills and food with a kid. Its tight but what he is good at is money management and he can cook so he makes alot go a long way. What I would love this country to do TBH is not just always throw money at issues, yes there are those with health issues that need the support, there are those not being paid enough but there are also those that will always find a way to live beyond their means or cant cook, that requires help and education not just money thrown at it. Thats the only way you make long term changes.

My mate lost his job in April and he gets his rent covered and approx 1500 a month to cover rent, bills and food with a kid. Its tight but what he is good at is money management and he can cook so he makes alot go a long way. What I would love this country to do TBH is not just always throw money at issues, yes there are those with health issues that need the support, there are those not being paid enough but there are also those that will always find a way to live beyond their means or cant cook, that requires help and education not just money thrown at it. Thats the only way you make long term changes.
Kudos to Martin Lewis for all he is doing to get financial education into schools. And with TV awash with cookery programs and a lot more focus on food and nutrition generally, you'd think that two areas of life that are front and centre during most of our adulthood would (should) make it onto the curriculum as a priority.

Kudos to Martin Lewis for all he is doing to get financial education into schools. And with TV awash with cookery programs and a lot more focus on food and nutrition generally, you'd think that two areas of life that are front and centre during most of our adulthood would (should) make it onto the curriculum as a priority.

There is no one size fits all solution for me, I know its easy to throw blanket solution over things and say There thats dealt with but I would like to see more done to deal with the heart of issues.

They don't look like arse holes, they are arse holes! Have to laugh at people who believed there was new caring more humane Tory now. Ha, ha, ha.

That is the problem with politics today they are all arse holes no matter what party they are standing for, the farce that took place with the Brexit debates in Parliament showed that they were ALL self serving arse holes.

If you have ever been to a food bank and met the folk who need help you wouldn't think they were scroungers beyond a tiny percentage. Real people who have fallen in to poverty due to brick circumstances. Honestly go and volunteer and see for yourself. I've seen women in hostels who have escaped violent relationships with young children who do not get enough to feed themselves or their kids.

Last edited:
If you have ever been to a food bank and met the folk who need help you wouldn't think they were scroungers beyond a tiny percentage. Real people who have fallen in to poverty due to brick circumstances. Honestly go and volunteer and see for yourself. I've seen women in hotels who have escaped violent relationships with young children who do not get enough to feed themselves or their kids.

I don't know anyone that would argue with that. There isn't a one size fits all solution like many of today's issues if there was it would be easy. Like I said I would love more work to be done to ensure people have better long term prospects

I don't know anyone that would argue with that. There isn't a one size fits all solution like many of today's issues if there was it would be easy. Like I said I would love more work to be done to ensure people have better long term prospects

The last 10 years of Tory rule has set us back so much. While they have built a base around hatred for minorities, poverty has ravaged the working classes.

Back