1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Politics, politics, politics part deux

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by SpurMeUp, 19 Feb 2019.

1. the dza

the dza Paul Robinson

Campbell is no fan of the Labour leadership, but he agrees that this wasn't the time to push for a people's vote. They won't until after May's deal has been put down for the last time (imo).

2. mephitis

mephitis Bobby Mimms

Was going to post the BBC link earlier but couldn't find anywhere totally appropriate (this is even lower than politics). As someone who's previously supported BJ, I'm incandescent at this.

A line has been crossed here. The man is indeed a CVNT!

3. scaramanga

scaramanga David Ginola Staff Member

Shame his opinions are so hideous. They ruined the moment of a politician using the term "spaffed up a wall" when discussing sex crimes.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2019
  4. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

At least he's not even on the field any more for the next leadership contest in May. The thought of him as PM is pretty horrific.

Robspur12 and monkeybarry like this.
  5. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Les Ferdinand

Absolutely, there should be more of a plan, an idea (ideal?) and something to drive toward.

And that being the case, then the "risk" is much more minimal, isnt it? Its a bump in the road, not the destination.

Though I have to be honest, the general thing I take away from most of the press etc about this is people dont want to risk ANY pain at all, ever.

Because they are playing politics and power games, and not putting the UK first. As I said.

Look at what it is they think is the best way.

Vote down no deal in March (with no alternative)
    Vote down leaving in March and to have an extension (without the power to actually provide said extension)
    Go cap in hand to the EU to ask them to help bail out the mess (no doubt with some cost)
    Try and get Mays deal through (it wont)
    Push for a GE (50/50 Chance?)
    Corbyn wins a minority and tries for his super special deal (its brick)
    Doesnt have the juice to push it through the house
    We end up back at square one
    Oh, maybe we should go to the people now all the gamesmanship has provided fudge all?

Compared to being the opposition that put the people first and put power into their hands.
    I wonder what would happen at the next GE after that?

[EDIT - A GE where Labour go in with a 'radical' manifesto pledging to nationalise industry to look after the people etc - having already proven their mettle]

6. P.D.

P.D. Jonathan Woodgate

I hope this deal goes through and then we have a GE after that where parties can put their ideas forward in a manifesto and lets see who wins.

I'm surprised Bercow didn't allow the amendment on ruling out a referendum, I'm pretty sure he's slightly on the remain side - obviously he's meant to be neutral.

7. StephenH

StephenH Jack Jull

Yes it was so BoJo.

8. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

9. StephenH

StephenH Jack Jull

Where has being neutral ever got anybody?

Other than Switzerland of course!

10. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Les Ferdinand

Gutter Boy and scaramanga like this.
  11. StephenH

StephenH Jack Jull

DTA likes this.
  12. scaramanga

He went to uni in Essex - a personalised plate is obligatory isn't it?

13. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

damn straight it is, we have standards

scaramanga likes this.
  14. scaramanga

Essex "people" - the northerners of the South East.

Robspur12 likes this.
  15. galeforce

galeforce Garth Crooks

nor northern nor neither, init

16. StephenH

StephenH Jack Jull

Always thought you had the way of the Billericay massiv about you!

SCARA 1 on the back of Maser?

17. scaramanga

I'm not allowed a personalised plate yet, I have to shave the sides of my head first and get some tattoos.

StephenH likes this.
  18. StephenH

StephenH Jack Jull

There is a picture forming:D

monkeybarry likes this.
  19. the dza

the dza Paul Robinson

The people's vote campaign did not want to push for the vote on a PV at this time and instead preferred to focus on extending Article 50, Campbell and others said as much. I don't know why TIG pushed for it (well I do, to have a pop at Labour -- playing politics you might say). But the smarter ones in the PV campaign (like Campbell) felt it wasn't the right time.

IMO, for a PV to work, they need all other options to be dead. Then the numbers in Parliament work in favour. This is why I think Campbell (arch Blairite, hater of Corbyn, Alastair Campbell) said what he did.

20. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Chris Armstrong

Voting on anything today???:D

Communication is what is sadly missing (and when you think of it, it has been all along) , lost in the bickering, squabbling, posturing, point scoring pit that is the HofC's.

May's deal, is our only 'negotiated' deal. The EU are done negotiating. Everyone thinks May's deal is a bad deal, why?, because everyone says it is.

She needs to start communicating the detail of it to the common man. Not to prove its good, but so he can weigh it up against the other option of calling off Brexit altogether. That gets trotted out as unpalatable because 'the people have voted' yada yada. But (and maybe I'm stretching it a bit:)) if the common man can have a clear picture of the options, (and not just think 'what a sh.it show' 'theyre all useless' etc) by diverting the attention away from the circus and to something of substance we may just get somewhere.

Even 'no deal' has no constructive attention beyond being the doomsday default option. You'd think some hard Brexit believers would flesh it out a bit, giving scenarios, some timelines and some hoddle like vision that would stir discussion that would (rightly or wrongly) generate some belief that it's painful but viable.

That said...@nayimfromthehalfwayline is bang on when he says that no-one for one moment looks like they're prepared to suffer any pain even if the prospect of the country being in a better place in the future is the reward. Couple that with a tinkle pot team of politicians that would 'guide' us through it, i'd say they're more reasons to swerve it.

21. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Johnny Morrison

Do it! Why are you waiting for others to articulate the future rewards of Brexit?

Part of a possible reason for why outcomes of Brexit are not talked through, might be because the benefits - even long term - are not easy to see.

But I completely agree with you at the lack of articulated vision. It’s frustrating. As a ‘remainer’ I could do a better job of outlining A Brexit vision than most Brexit politicians. The ERG - a supposed research group - can’t tell you what a brexit future should look like. Why is that?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited: 15 Mar 2019
    Robspur12 likes this.