• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Glad to see him playing well.
He occupies a key role in the team and perhaps he tries to do too much - perhaps he has had to do too much with Sissoko and Winks etc stinking the place out.

And this is playing back to back to back games
His pass for the chance Kane should have buried was top notch
Personally think the back to back games thing is a myth. He’s played loads of football these past few years. As a team we look better when we’ve had more time to prepare, even Harry has been hit and miss.

Personally think the back to back games thing is a myth. He’s played loads of football these past few years. As a team we look better when we’ve had more time to prepare, even Harry has been hit and miss.
Nah he has had always played badly when playing midweek
Look at the games in those midweek fixtures and it will ring bells

Agree to disagree on that one mate
Bearing in mind for most of the season we have played every 3/4 days, so midweek or not the games come thick and fast, not sure it would matter if a game was on a Wednesday or a Saturday, its all about recovery time with how he plays.

Some midweek games in the past few months he has played well, or certainly on par with the rest of the team:-
Spurs 2 West Ham 1 - lovely pass and move and assist for goal
Spurs 0 Chelsea 1 - played as well as anyone else
Leicester 2 Tottenham 3 - played well and lovely pass for equalising goal
Brighton 0 Spurs 2 - quietly effective in midfield

In that time we've also had midweek losses to Southampton, Middlesborough and Burnley, and he wasnt at his best, but you could equally point to plenty of others who weren't quite at it in those games either.

As a team we have been incredibly inconsistent, thats not only him, even our best players (Son, Kane) have been up and down, arguably more so than him.

Don't think so. Even when we first signed him we had quite a lot of midweek football, he played a lot and was widely seen as a very good and important player for quite a wile.

I think it's the cumulative load over time. Week after week of two games a week. Internationals, Euros. That's when he starts to struggle.

Three games in eight days and he's fine. Another two in quick succession, less so.

Another good game from PEH I thought. Overshadowed by Bentancur in the centre, but did his job well. Continuing to do useful things on the ball under a bit of pressure, finding good passes and solutions. Fewer poor touches and passes. Of course a terrific ball winner.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Skipp returns, particularly if Skipp gets back to the level he had before the injury problems fairly quickly. But for now PEH is forming a very good and very functional midfield partnership with Bentancur.

Another good game from PEH I thought. Overshadowed by Bentancur in the centre, but did his job well. Continuing to do useful things on the ball under a bit of pressure, finding good passes and solutions. Fewer poor touches and passes. Of course a terrific ball winner.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Skipp returns, particularly if Skipp gets back to the level he had before the injury problems fairly quickly. But for now PEH is forming a very good and very functional midfield partnership with Bentancur.
I thought he was excellent but under stated
It’s exactly what you need in that role

He is one of those players who do so much work but never really stands out, all good teams need a player like that in their midfield.

Agree 100%. Nobody’s asking for an extra body in midfield anymore, PEH + Bentancur’s partnership has contributed greatly to our improved form.

I imagine Skipp won’t be rushed back in to the starting line up unless injuries affect either of the current pair, I love the kid but wouldn’t want to fix what isn’t broken.

Agree 100%. Nobody’s asking for an extra body in midfield anymore, PEH + Bentancur’s partnership has contributed greatly to our improved form.

I imagine Skipp won’t be rushed back in to the starting line up unless injuries affect either of the current pair, I love the kid but wouldn’t want to fix what isn’t broken.

I am, PEH is very much upgradable as a starting player and behind the wingbacks it's the next obvious weakness in the team.

I am, PEH is very much upgradable as a starting player and behind the wingbacks it's the next obvious weakness in the team.

People bang on about Kalvin Philips but is there much difference between Hojberg and Philips? For me they are similar players. And the valuation of Philips makes PEH seem great value. There is no doubt PEH is a key part of the squad. What we need however, is competition for Bentancur. Without him our midfield lacks class. It lacks touch and the passing drops off massively. Whether Skipp can take on that role is tbc. But I think Skipp and PEH are comparable and competing for one spot. Bentancur and ???? for the other. In other words, ideally we need one more midfielder. Bassoma certainly adds something different - carries the ball well.

Sarr is also another unknown. We probably need to sell Winks to justify singing someone like Bossuma.

Last edited:
If we are to play in Europe next season - as we are surely looking likely to do - then PEH, Bentancur, Skipp and at least one other DM (or DM-capable player) will be needed and all of them should get plenty of playing time.

I'm always intrigued to see Hojbjerg's play with Denmark, where he's allowed to take up an attacking-playmaking MF role. There's versatility and ball-playing skills in him that don't go on display as often with Spurs.

Back