• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham v Wolves

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think we were trying to manage the tempo, but it was painfully obvious we couldn't. We only succeeded in slowing ourselves down, and couldn't live with them when they upped it. Total gameplan fail.
In the other games (Everton bournBourne etc) if you get the second or third goal it naturally deflates the opposition. Just the one goal can give a half decent side some hope and then encouragement if they start getting a foothold (and control) of the game.

Similar to Watford away.

I was in pretty much the same section as you but not quite as close to the Wolves fans (though there were 3 in front of us). When a couple of our songs started, there were a few in the section singing and then suddenly, I could just hear my voice and a small handful of others (and my voice is fudging horrendous). There was one lad who tried giving it loads in the first half but the apathy killed him I think.

I don't get going to a game and watching it through a smartphone. Shaky footage from a less than ideal vantage point that you'll rarely/never watch again. There's MOTD or Sky if you want to see a proper recording of the game. Is the idea to show your mates or put on Facebook to prove you were there? I told my mates I was going and, guess what, they didn't need a video recording on my phone as proof. They just believed me.

I was disgusted by what I saw. fudgers grinning with their smartphones as Wolves put goals past us. I was sitting there so fudging annoyed at Spurs and watching my little fella's heart break the same way mine did when Mabbsy put that third goal beyond Clemence in 1987. I couldn't comprehend how we lost to Coventry. Me and my son couldn't comprehend how Spurs could lose to Wolves. But on the way home, although it fudging stings, we both resolved we'd be back again soon no matter what it takes and there was a strange sort of comfort for me, and I hope for him, in knowing that a defeat just strengthens our support. I'd be amazed if the pricks with their smartphones and their footage of Wolves fans celebrating have that tonight.

Sorry about the rant.

It’s a strange form of modern narcissism.

There has to be a video or multiple photos not only shot, but published, in real time.

I’m all for taking a photo of a special occasion or as a memento, but then put it away and enjoy the game, or meal, or film or whatever it is you’re lucky enough to be doing. Be in the moment then cherish the memory.

I agree with everything he says. It applies equally to us trying to manage the game out or being dead on our legs. Watching it, I thought that we were trying to manage the game out. I may well be wrong but you cannot be certain that your reading is right either.

I think also shows why we should try to rest players before they get tired.

So the break is preventative rather than restorative.

Hard to do and maintain quality and results, but maybe could be helped with earlier subs if and when we’re comfortably ahead.

as most have pointed out on here the atmosphere will be something else.
Will it???

I have this nagging concern as well. Levy has given us he tools (in the physical make of the ground and the single tier) but it'll be up to us to make the most of it. You can have the best, to use Poch's vernacular, "party" venue in the world but the partygoers make the atmosphere. I just hope that people haven't taken up tickets in the South Stand to soak up the atmosphere and then sit there waiting for it to happen. I don't think this will happen because, if they're anything like me, they been anticipating a place on the new Park Lane for a decade or so and will want to make the most of it. We just need to all be aware of our responsibility.

Typical Spurs, always lets you down when you put too much hope on them ! Just when we thought we can make a late push for the league title, we are let down badly. This is easily one of the worst performance and result under Pochettino and among our worst in the PL era. I think Pochettino's poor squad rotation and substitution policy cost us this game. I think seeds of this defeat were planted earlier against Bournemouth. When we were comfortably leading Bournemouth 3-0 in the first half, Pochettino should have replaced our key players like Kane, Eriksen, Sissoko and Son by half time instead of forcing them to play almost the whole match. As a result, all the players looked tired and couldn't lift their game against Wolves even when we were leading 1-0.

Don't think any players deserve any credit as all looked poor for whole match. Credit to Kane for scoring a brilliant long range goal and Son for assisting it. But that was our only notable action in this match apart from a shot by Eriksen. All our attacking players, Kane, Eriksen, Son and Alli went missing for almost the whole match. Kane was even booked for an embarassing dive in the second half. Kane seems to be losing his magic as this is the second time this season that we have lost a league match despite Kane scoring. Alli has no excuse for tiredness as he didn't play against Bournemouth but he only turns up against big teams. Moura didn't even do anything of note after replacing Alli in the second half. We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Wolves when we went down 1-2 and 1-3 but annoyingly Pochettino didn't bring on any players except for Moura earlier. I think Pochettino should have brought on Nkoudou and Rose to try to rescue the game instead of going down without any fight. Too bad Lamela was not fully fit as we badly missed his work rate and creativity.

I think we lost this match in midfield. Winks and Sissoko looked tired and got outplayed by Wolves especially in the second half. Maybe Pochettino should have started Skipp instead of Winks. Still not fully convinced of Skipp but I think he would have done better than Winks who was very poor. I think Winks was partly at fault for their third goal as he was too slow to tackle their player. Sissoko looked very tired as he made too many mistakes as well. There is an unwritten rule in football that says you should not replace players when you are just leading 1-0. Wolves were putting us under pressure but didn't look like scoring until we replaced Alli with Moura. Remember, we were also leading Inter Milan 1-0 until we replaced Lamela and we lost 1-2. Maybe we would have won 1-0 had we not made any substitutions.

Our defence let us down badly in this match. The warning signs for our defence were there against Bournemouth as they could have scored 3 or 4 goals. And now Wolves managed to destroy our defence with these 3 late goals. I think this match proves that Sanchez and Foyth are not good enough to start regularly in defence for us. We have now conceded 5 goals in 2 matches since Sanchez returned to our defence. We badly missed Vertonghen as we made too many mistakes in defence. Sanchez should have headed the ball clear from corner for their first goal. Both Alderweireld and Sanchez should have been more alert for their second goal and they both went missing for their third goal. It was Davies who started it by giving away an unnecessary corner for their first goal. Trippier was at fault for losing the ball for their third goal and also should have done better with the freekick in the first half. Lloris should have done better with all the 3 goals. Maybe we should have started with Gazzaniga instead of Lloris in goal.

Annoyingly, with this defeat to Wolves, we have lost a few proud records. This is the first time that we have lost to a promoted team under Pochettino and we have lost to Wolves for the first time since 2010. Wolves were always going to be a tough game as they had drawn with ManCity, ManU, Arsenal and beaten Chelsea. We also have a bit of history with Wolves as we beat them in the 1921 FA Cup Final, 1972 UEFA Cup Final, 1981 FA Cup semifinal before winning it and also lost to them in the league but still qualified for our first ever CL in 2010. Looking at that, can understand why they always lift their game against us but maybe they will be our lucky charm again. Let's hope Wolves will take points of Liverpool while we will get back our winning form in the coming matches.

Last edited:
I have this nagging concern as well. Levy has given us he tools (in the physical make of the ground and the single tier) but it'll be up to us to make the most of it. You can have the best, to use Poch's vernacular, "party" venue in the world but the partygoers make the atmosphere. I just hope that people haven't taken up tickets in the South Stand to soak up the atmosphere and then sit there waiting for it to happen. I don't think this will happen because, if they're anything like me, they been anticipating a place on the new Park Lane for a decade or so and will want to make the most of it. We just need to all be aware of our responsibility.

Yeah..you can see them all sitting there scatching their heads thinking where is this fudging atmosphere..
We need the so called 1882 fans to fill the SStand. Maybe if they have enough Booz it might get going..but no tourist allowed....

I don’t entirely disagree mate, but Dembele and Wanyama have both had poor injury records. It was foreseeable that we would have had problems this year relying on one or both. The issue was not that we didn’t need to bring in cover more that we couldn’t without shifting one or both.
Fingers crossed that Wanyama might get back to the level he was at in 16/17 but Dembele’s injury issues have gone on for many years and I’m hoping that he’ll move on to pastures new whilst Pochettino has someone lined up who’s able to hit the ground running; like Sanchez.

As having a midfield general who doesn’t miss a third of every campaign might just help turn these top 3 finishes into trophies.

C67006D2-EBB0-46C7-9103-D0C59A01E1F5.jpeg 826CF829-B328-47A6-BC60-4B97DC271CE8.jpeg FA0A3258-D863-42C4-AC29-74849880C323.jpeg 50F5945E-A8E4-488D-996A-A150661D985D.jpeg

Well Kane certainly seems to take a fair few penalties considering we always seem to be on the wrong end of decisions - including two at Anfield last season. I don’t get this fixation with Liverpool, Salah made the most of the contact he got the other week but it’s nothing we haven’t seen our players do enough times. People on here choose to remember the decisions that went for Liverpool, I guarantee there have been decisions that have gone against them but they have been so good its never relative. Funny that every team’s fans seems to think everyone is against them and this team or that team always gets the rub when in reality there is nothing really i it....

Amen brother.

Everybody was of course down yesterday.
We need though to remember we have been playing out of this world and are victims of our own success to a large extent.
We all know deep down we are batting way above our average with a squad which is vulnerable to injury and general seasons wear and tear.
Pochettino and Co. have worked wonders, my main hope is he stays here and continues to do so.

Good post.

where's me like..lol.

It's simple ..if we are losing in a game you don,t just give up your vocal because we go behind. I have seen our supporters lose heart big time when this happens. This may also ..probably does get,s picked up by the players.
Don,t forget...
We are Tottenham from the Lane...
Ahhhh that makes sense. Thought it was a dig at my support at games, for 45 mins!

I think we were contenders by virtue of the fact that we win nearly all our games and should have some pretty important players back from injury shortly.

Of course yesterday is a hammer blow, as realistically we needed six points from wolves and cardiff and for pool to at the very least lose to city.

Yesterday though shouldnt have happened and was entirely avoidable by not coming out in the second half determined to coast through the match. I put that down to a poor attitude rather than tiredness myself, as wolves have also played the same number of games over this period. And over the longer term we have rotated well and made good subs to rest players where we can.

We sagged badly in the second half at Arsenal after a pretty grueling week earning good wins over Chelsea and Inter. We've also had a tough match in the league cup winning at Arsenal, but that was hard work.

All of this adds up in wear and tear on players' bodies and takes a greater toll than the stroll Wolves have had playing once a week for 2-3 months before the Christmas crunch came on.

As for using the term "hammer blow", sois serieux my Belgian friend. Were you actually struck by a hammer?

You can't seriously have thought Spurs were going to sustain a title challenge? I'm as big a Spurs fan as anyone and would love to see them win the league, but that's not a realistic prospect at the moment. Let's just enjoy the process of sustainable growth and development we are seeing as this club puts together all the resources needed to soon become serious title contenders.

Rather than listen to Spurs fans or media donkeys sing sad songs about Spurs, I find the sound of gnashing teeth from so-called bigger clubs that finish below us is music to my ears.

Poch needs to understand that substitutes are allowed. They help to relieve fatigue.

Sometimes he will chuck Danny Rose into defensive midfield, we all raise our eyebrows, then it works out fine... yet today... nothing. Just let the players drown and drown and drown.

Poch is also allowed to advise players during the game, for example "stop playing so direct, keep the ball".

Exactly this. Poch saw what we all saw during the second half - as he freely admitted after the game. The only difference between him and us is that he has the opportunity of changing things. Two unused subs was just madness.

He could easily have brought on KWP (for Trippier who had had a knock and was having a mare) and Rose for one of our midfielders or attackers - and moved Davies across and gone three at the back with KWP and Rose as wingbacks. Or he could have put on Skipp immediately after they scored to help shore up the midfield. He needed to take some ACTION rather than just sitting on his hands.

Poch's in-game management and use of substitutes remains his achilles heel imo and he needs to take a hard look at this aspect of his management.

Also, why are we now leaving Winks as the last defender when exposed to counter attacks? It has happened twice now and both times resulted in goals against us. Surely we should have someone with much greater pace doing this role (i.e. Sanchez or Sissoko). Very poor planning.

Back