• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Dycheball***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who is blaming a lack of experience.

I think we are behind two better teams in the league, on quality, not because of a lack of experience.

To be third in this season, and through a tough CL group, and reading a domestic cup semi final, with the stadium issues, injury problems, players coming back late from the world cup and not spending money for years due to a smaller budget than the other top six clubs is a very good achievement. I would definitely have taken our current position at the start of the season if offered it, I most certainly would have taken it five years ago.

A good, sensible post which I pretty much agree with. I would just add that in addition to the two teams above us being better than us, we either lack the mentality or belief to win games at the last or second to last hurdle when it comes to winning games to go top, go 1-2 points behind or win semi finals. We need to get that monkey off our back somehow and similar to what Arsenal went through, I think we’d need to play someone like Hull or Villa in a semi or a final to finally win a trophy as I don’t think we’d have the belief to beat a team like united or Chelsea in a semi or a final.

All we had to do was win every game to finish about City.

And we failed at step one against a pub team.

It’s fudging infuriating.

I can’t tell if you’re being funny or genuinely believe we have the best team but you either don’t watch much football besides Spurs games or are seriously deluded if you think we’re better than Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool. We’d be lucky to have more than 4 (Kane, Son, Toby and Jan would be the 4) Spurs players get into a combined Spurs-Emirates Marketing Project starting eleven.

All this talk about is being in the race for the Prem is IMO just fluff, we are doing great to be where we are and we are still a work in progress. Yesterday we were poor ( probably our worst performance of the season). Burnley are a pub team but we never competed with them and they got the breaks, as for fans falling for the hype that Sky spew out ( Spurs are in the title race/ they are out of it) then more fool them. IMO

If the team didn’t know what Burnley bring to the plate by now they were massively under prepared.
It’s always a battle with them, some of players were just not up for it and looked scared.

I,ll agree we should have been more prepared for this kind of game..but the referee should allow a fair game of football.
We don't have any real hard leader or leaders in the squad that maybe is a problem that needs looking at
but is football a war or a game of skill?
Anyway,
It's hard for me to explain this but this game should have been reffed in a more professional capacity.

Lamela in particular and to some extent Moura have both suffered incredible tail offs in form in the second part of the season. Is it me or do they seem to offer little from the bench? In fact our subs, Son aside, often cannot get into games. Llorente was the same, Sissoko also.

I agree re Lamela and Moura. I really thought Moura was going to be that X factor player after he ripped it up against United at OT, especially in tight games as I thought his pace would kill teams but he’s not done much of note recently.

Lamela started the season brilliantly but has gone into his shell again in terms of end product. He’s essentially a squad player. If he’s happy to be a part time player like a Ji Sung Park or Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer then great, every top team needs excellent squad players who all play a part. We’ve got 4 elite attacking players in Kane, Alli, Son and Eriksen. Son has scored 40 league goals in roughly 120 games (1 in 3), Eriksen has 45 in roughly 195 games IIRC (around 1 in 4) and Lamela has 14 in 126 which is roughly 1 in 9. His work rate is always outstanding but all of our players work hard for the team.

As for the subs, I don’t think team selection, game management and subs are Poch’s areas of expertise. He excels at developing young players, creating a good team spirit and a never say die attitude among other things.

I like the Fergie comparison but I think we’re a bit further away than you’d like to believe Steff. We still have some mental block of winning games when we have a chance to go top or put pressure on teams at the top when we have an early Saturday game. I honestly don’t think it’s a coincidence or tiredness as others have mentioned. Whether it’s a belief thing or meteorology I don’t know.

I think the best comparison would be arsenal 10 years ago, play nice football and always threaten to win trophies but ultimately fall short at the last or second to last hurdle.

I always believe us and Liverpool are at a similar stage in terms of development whereas Liverpool are slightly ahead as a result of timely spending in the right areas. If we don’t upgrade in the CM and RB positions I think we’ll be exactly the same next season. Poch needs some money to spend.

There is one thing Poch might need to learn; the ability to spend a large amount of money on a star player with personality. The truth is, he does not like that sort of signing just "as is", it needs to tick every single box, not the least of which the "you're paid to train I pick the side" mantra. Most superstar players struggle with not being automatic picks. FWIW I would rather trust what HE wants.

We have spent the better part of two seasons playing away from home. Half our support hates Wembley and won't go. Yet still we turn people over, still we're there. We got fudged royally by the World Cup, more than anyone, and we have been fudged by key injuries more than anyone. Yet here we are.

I do not agree with your "mental block" theory whatsoever, and furthermore, I believe that you will see others continue to have such results above and around us. Call it "goggles" or whatever you wish, I call it as I see it.

By the way, the season isn't over and we're 6 points off. We're about to step into the QF of the CL unless we absolutely brick the bed. There is all to play for.

Be brave my friend, dare to believe, dare to do...

As for the subs, I don’t think team selection, game management and subs are Poch’s areas of expertise. He excels at developing young players, creating a good team spirit and a never say die attitude among other things...

Honestly, I've read some things here recently, but this deserves to be stuffed and mounted on the mantlepiece. I don't have enough palms or faces.

A disappointing result, but I got cheered up today when I went to visit Roald Dahl's grave in Great Missenden; in the graveyard, somebody had draped an Arse.anal shirt on a tombstone.

Did you svisit his home? You can sit in his actual writing chair. Amazing.

Honestly, I've read some things here recently, but this deserves to be stuffed and mounted on the mantlepiece. I don't have enough palms or faces.

That’s what the forum is here for, discussion. I can say what the majority of people on here want to hear if you like but it would make the place a bit boring. The fact is his subs are often too late and he isn’t bold but yesterday he was proactive and aggressive with them. Poch sets us out to dominate possesion and impose our tempo on teams. I just feel he doesn’t react quickly enough when things aren’t going our way. I get that he believes in the players but there’s time when players need to be hooked. Wolves at home is a good example. He complained after the game that we were tired and yet he only made 1 sub. Does he get that he can make 3 subs? That’s the kind of contradictory statement I’d expect from Klopp, not Poch.

Last edited:
There is one thing Poch might need to learn; the ability to spend a large amount of money on a star player with personality. The truth is, he does not like that sort of signing just "as is", it needs to tick every single box, not the least of which the "you're paid to train I pick the side" mantra. Most superstar players struggle with not being automatic picks. FWIW I would rather trust what HE wants.

We have spent the better part of two seasons playing away from home. Half our support hates Wembley and won't go. Yet still we turn people over, still we're there. We got fudged royally by the World Cup, more than anyone, and we have been fudged by key injuries more than anyone. Yet here we are.

I do not agree with your "mental block" theory whatsoever, and furthermore, I believe that you will see others continue to have such results above and around us. Call it "goggles" or whatever you wish, I call it as I see it.

By the way, the season isn't over and we're 6 points off. We're about to step into the QF of the CL unless we absolutely brick the bed. There is all to play for.

Be brave my friend, dare to believe, dare to do...

Steff, I could name numerous semi finals, games against teams where a win would have put us top or close to top and we’ve not won. Sure, in isolation you could cite “tiredness”, “rustiness”, “injuries”, “bad timing” but it’s happened too frequently for it to be a coincidence for me. I don’t care what anyone says, those games were about bottle for me just as it was about bottle when Arsenal went years without a trophy despite having the talent to do so.

Ah the unwanted forum police aka the Donald Trump of GG @nayenezgani who regularly calls for people to be banned because they don’t agree with his exact views shows his face again :D

Where are you when we're on an unbeaten run though? I'm serious. You and your merry phalanx only emerge to revel when things get a bit rough. It's so clear.

Edit: I should add I've never called for anyone to be banned, I just wish you'd enjoy our success with such vigorous contribution as you do our defeats.

Thankfully defeats don't happen too often these days, so you're around less and less.

Where are you when we're on an unbeaten run though? I'm serious. You and your merry rude boys only emerge to revel when things get a bit rough. It's so clear.

Edit: I should add I've never called for anyone to be banned, I just wish you'd enjoy our success with such vigorous contribution as you do our defeats.

Thankfully defeats don't happen too often these days, so you're around less and less.

“Constant posting by non-Spurs WUMs... Why aren't they banned or at least moderated?”

The above post wasn’t you then?

The first paragraph is just not true or fake news as you would know it. I regularly post after we win games.

In general, I would say the forum generates more traffic after a big win or any defeat as people come on here to vent. Let people vent. No one is calling for Poch to be sacked or for Levy to step down. You’ve gone after numerous posters who have posted on this forum for years and in no way could be called negative ( @Hootnow for example) for daring to have an opinion different to yours. Why don’t you actually read the posts people write before jumping to conclusions?

“Constant posting by non-Spurs WUMs... Why aren't they banned or at least moderated?”

The above post wasn’t you then?

The first paragraph is just not true or fake news as you would know it. I regularly post after we win games.

In general, I would say the forum generates more traffic after a big win or any defeat as people come on here to vent. Let people vent. No one is calling for Poch to be sacked or for Levy to step down. You’ve gone after numerous posters who have posted on this forum for years and in no way could be called negative ( @Hootnow for example) for daring to have an opinion different to yours. Why don’t you actually read the posts people write before jumping to conclusions?

Completely out of context but fair enough, I'll take your word for it. If troll supoorters for other teams are posting on here I would like them banned. I'm not calling you that, but they do exist.

I did also have a disagreement with @Hootnow. That was resolved cordially, something you probably know little about. Thanks for keeping tabs though.

My point on you and other posters views about us having a 'weak mentality' being emboldened when we lose remains. It can't be ignored.

I won't use the word agenda again because that'll get me in trouble with the 'right to moan' phalanx. All I've ever called for is balance.

You call it venting, I call it ramping up discord amongst fans. Move on. I totally understand frustration during a game or in the hours after, but we've got Chelsea to look ahead to now.

We're enjoying a record points scoring season at this stage but you'll still jump in at the first opportunity. You're worse than the media to be honest.

Back