• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**OMT BRIGHTON V SPURS**

I thought Doherty played well but got exhausted and his game fell apart in the second half.
I didn’t see him make as many sloppy passes, but his play was not progressive and he frequently turned in and played back and sideways. But conte teams play with automation, so maybe that’s the instruction?

Doherty did not record a single tackle, clearance or interception and was unable to land a successful cross or key pass, as well as losing possession 15 times (via SofaScore)
I think there's a certain element of him not being Royal that makes him look better to some.

I do find it interesting because Royal obviously gets criticised for his poor crossing which is fair, but he does get into the positions to offer crosses as a threat in the first place. Doherty plays the role differently but rarely ever crosses the ball, and the few times he has done they've not really been any better than Royal's. Royal just consistently gets himself into open space and is available for crossing opportunities. Almost to his own detriment as far as the fans are concerned. [emoji848]

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

All we need is for Son to find some form. Not such a long shot. At the moment it is like playing with 10 men.

I listened on radio and the commentary did say Son was putting in a lot of good defensive work, would anyone who watched the game agree with that?

If true, even if Son’s not tearing it up with goals / assists I can sort of see why Conte is happy with him in the team. I’ve been hoping for Bergwjin to get more of a chance but the defensive workmate could be a reason against that.

I listened on radio and the commentary did say Son was putting in a lot of good defensive work, would anyone who watched the game agree with that?

If true, even if Son’s not tearing it up with goals / assists I can sort of see why Conte is happy with him in the team. I’ve been hoping for Bergwjin to get more of a chance but the defensive workmate could be a reason against that.

He did, for the first time in ages.
That is our weak side imho and son and peh have been of no help to the lwb, peh was much better last night, son still wasn't grea defensively but at least he was in better positions and trying to help.

Sons work rate is IMO never in question
His touch this season has been bad… really bad
But he still has a double figure goal return which arguably should be another 5 goals or more
What has worried me lately is his roller skates instead of football boots. He has fallen down like Salah but without the ball in some cases. He is such a well balanced player when he runs I can only assume it’s boot choice

I think there's a certain element of him not being Royal that makes him look better to some.

I do find it interesting because Royal obviously gets criticised for his poor crossing which is fair, but he does get into the positions to offer crosses as a threat in the first place. Doherty plays the role differently but rarely ever crosses the ball, and the few times he has done they've not really been any better than Royal's. Royal just consistently gets himself into open space and is available for crossing opportunities. Almost to his own detriment as far as the fans are concerned. [emoji848]

He's being compared to Royal because the two of them are our two obvious RWB options. I'm not seeing Doherty being compared with top level wing backs.

There's a change with Kulusevski, who seems to thrive staying wide at times and is good at combination play. In both aspects different to Moura.

This allows Doherty to play the RWB role in a way more suited to his attributes. More underlapping runs, get into the box, less crossing, more combination play in the middle and final thirds.

It's a role Emerson has rarely had the chance to play. He could at some point prove that this change can make him more effective too, but so far he hasn't. Doherty has.

Doherty had to play more of the "find space wide, cross it or do a useful thing on your own" role pre Kulusevski. He wasn't very good at it.

More about Kulusevski coming in and giving the RWB the option to play a different role. Doherty thriving in that, Emerson so far not so much.

Well that stat is nonsense, I’m watching a re run of the game now and he makes a tackle a minute of two into the second half and another one a couple of minutes after so I would question who is recording those stats at the legendary SofaScore….

Tackling stats are a bit dodgy, what gets classified as a tackle seems to be subjective. Over time that probably equals out between players and a higher number more or less equals more actual tackles.

Over a single game it's less useful as a metric. Even more as defending isn't easily quantifiable with stats. Lower numbers doesn't necessarily mean less effectiveness (up to a point I think). More a reflection of style of play of the team and player.

He's being compared to Royal because the two of them are our two obvious RWB options. I'm not seeing Doherty being compared with top level wing backs.

There's a change with Kulusevski, who seems to thrive staying wide at times and is good at combination play. In both aspects different to Moura.

This allows Doherty to play the RWB role in a way more suited to his attributes. More underlapping runs, get into the box, less crossing, more combination play in the middle and final thirds.

It's a role Emerson has rarely had the chance to play. He could at some point prove that this change can make him more effective too, but so far he hasn't. Doherty has.

Doherty had to play more of the "find space wide, cross it or do a useful thing on your own" role pre Kulusevski. He wasn't very good at it.

More about Kulusevski coming in and giving the RWB the option to play a different role. Doherty thriving in that, Emerson so far not so much.
And no moura playing which means we have a blends rather than a crazy loon running everywhere other then the side he is playing

doherty now has 4 assists in the league this season. All at wing back. That’s as many as son and moura, and also level with Kulu
It highlights the link up between him and Kulu too

Last edited:
Tackling stats are a bit dodgy, what gets classified as a tackle seems to be subjective. Over time that probably equals out between players and a higher number more or less equals more actual tackles.

Over a single game it's less useful as a metric. Even more as defending isn't easily quantifiable with stats. Lower numbers doesn't necessarily mean less effectiveness (up to a point I think). More a reflection of style of play of the team and player.
I agree can be subjective. But in Dohertys case it couldn’t of been more clear cut. Brighton player had the ball, Dohertys foot took the ball from player. Like you say tackes aren’t a true reflection as positioning is also key….

And no moura playing which means we have a blends rather than a crazy loon running everywhere other then the side he is playing

doherty now has 4 assists in the league this season. All at wing back. That’s as many as son and moura, and also level with Kulu
It highlights the link up between him and Kulu too

No doubt in my mind kulu has been the difference, he works hard for the team. He's always available for a pass from Doherty or Bentancur, he closes down in support of them and he covers back.
Compare son on the otherside, night and day. Not dissing son, he has been fantastic for us, but his defending is cack, and now we have someone to compare him with its obvious.
Would be interesting to see how Bergwijn got on playing kulu role on the left.

No doubt in my mind kulu has been the difference, he works hard for the team. He's always available for a pass from Doherty or Bentancur, he closes down in support of them and he covers back.
Compare son on the otherside, night and day. Not dissing son, he has been fantastic for us, but his defending is cack, and now we have someone to compare him with its obvious.
It’s an interesting debate
Especially with son playing poorly now for some time (but still getting goals)

I don't think you can get the cut and thrust and runs in behind from a player like Son (on his good days) and also have the defensive cover and positioning that you get from Kulu.

They play their wide attacker roles very differently. Son is balanced towards being a striker and has obviously covered for Kane in that role, whereas Kulu balances more towards being a creative attacker, AM etc. As mentioned he has very good link up and a good understanding of attacking shape.

It probably balances better to have one who runs past the defence (Son) and one who plays in front of it but as the ability to break with the ball at their own feet or via passing (Kulu).

Bergwyn v Son is a no contest. Even on his off days ( as now) Son wins hands down and his upside is infinitesimally better re goals, assists, running in behind, taking players on etc etc.

Clear pen
I watched the game on sky afterwards and it was as clear as you can see
Can fathom as to why the ref didn’t give it
Or why VAR didn’t, European qualification could come down to GD. I’m pretty sure they just felt sorry for Brighton, game virtually over and they were never getting back in to it, didn’t want to rub salt in the wound. Could cost us CL qualification though!

I don't think you can get the cut and thrust and runs in behind from a player like Son (on his good days) and also have the defensive cover and positioning that you get from Kulu.

They play their wide attacker roles very differently. Son is balanced towards being a striker and has obviously covered for Kane in that role, whereas Kulu balances more towards being a creative attacker, AM etc. As mentioned he has very good link up and a good understanding of attacking shape.

It probably balances better to have one who runs past the defence (Son) and one who plays in front of it but as the ability to break with the ball at their own feet or via passing (Kulu).

It's a systems thing in my opinion, son is better in system that allows him to make those and having not a lot of defensive duties.
Kulu is more suitable to our current set up and the players on that side.
It is leaving a hole there that's being exploited.
Not saying that kulu is a better player than son, just more suited to contes formation and tactics.

Back