• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Old Guard/Bad Eggs - POLL ADDED

Who do you SELL?

• Aurier

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Davies

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Sanchez

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • Dier

Votes: 55 80.9%
  • Winks

Votes: 52 76.5%
  • Sissoko

Votes: 55 80.9%
  • Lamela

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Moura

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Dele

Votes: 32 47.1%

• Total voters
But you build everything from the back don’t you
It’s why pool ain’t top, and city are
You need to get your defensive basics right to get the spring board for attacking
The best Poch sides knew how to defend. We knew the team before the game and it works like a machine an use the team knew the basics so well. yes it took 2 years to get there but what a team it was

being sad because we don’t have Kane is a woeful kick of player. The whole team has mentally made themselves rely on one man (that could be that is the only message Mourinho drills into them).

the team need to man up and play. Show some leadership and accountability. Lose fighting not wimpering. And do the basics right
The team can’t “man up and play” as the tactics often make it almost impossible to do so (especially now the whole of Europe is wise to our one attacking move).

I couldn’t hear a peep
Not even from Hojdjberg
It’s kinda freaky to what their players and none of your own when your being outplayed
Hart is toss but you know he is there
The lack of shouting from the pitch and sidelines suggests one of two things....

1. We are playing to the manager’s wishes.
2. He hasn’t got a clue how he wants us to play.

You say the players don't want to play that way but under Poch they played the opposite and apparenly downed tools because they didn't like it anymore so makes you wonder how do they want to play or are they just divas who want the trophies without the effort associated with it.

You say the players don't want to play that way but under Poch they played the opposite and apparenly downed tools because they didn't like it anymore so makes you wonder how do they want to play or are they just divas who want the trophies without the effort associated with it.

The players didn't down tools under Poch there was a steady decline in the quality of the playing side being put out. We went from an energetic and combatative cm pairing of Dembele and Wanyama/Dier to the gruesome twosome of Winks and Sissoko. We had the strong pairing of Walker and a fit and motivated Rose having the year of his career at fullback to Davies on the left and a pair of error prone defenders in Trippier and Aurier. Vertoghen and Toby went into terminal physical decline. That's the entire defense that Poch's side was built on. Then of course we had the Eriksen saga which massively effected the creativity and goals output from Son, Kane and Dele.

The CL run masked the problems of that season that were evident to see in the league. We all know we stagnated because of the lack of squad refreshment. The debate around that is a whole topic in itself[emoji28]

I'm not saying they don't want to play his way but is that way best suited to their attributes? Can we be a bit more proactive? Can we have a few more players happy, to have the ball at their feet in the side? Those things will help us use the ball better, and have better position in the pitch.

Essentially 6 defenders against Brighton might not be the best approach, if you intend on scoring goals and I think our players will be aware of that too.

This thread is about the squad players and that is an issue in itself. It's needs gutting, we have 7 or 8 regulars that could honestly go with no pain to the squad. Not all at once but any 3 or 4 of them.

Getting rid/moving-on any players, good, bad or indifferent from our squad in the current financial position of the EPL is not going to happen.
I think 'Bombing out the Old Guard/Bad Eggs...' sadly may be some way off.

I think Mourihno will be here to see us through this period of covid upheaval and as long as he doesn't get us relegated everything will be left as is.

This isn't the time for self-imposed upheaval.

Last edited:
The gutting needs to start on day 1 of the summer window. This needs to happen. We have a decent first 11 on paper when everyone is fit and the tactical setup is attack orientated but we have far too much dross. The squad is actually poop and we have players who need to leave even if just to freshen things up.

You might say what will the quality of those coming in be but we already know what we have for the squad is sub standard and this is not to excuse Jose, he's been fudging awful as well seemingly doing his very best to pick as much of the dross as possible he's even made some of the dross key figures in his side. [emoji2367]

Sissoko
Moura
Rose
Sanchez
Dier
Toby
Winks
Lamela
Bale
Hart

Davies would be in the list also if not for the fact we don't have a backup LB.

But any of the above could leave and we wouldn't miss their playing "ability" we might miss the numbers but they can all be very easily replaced without a single tear.

The gutting needs to start on day 1 of the summer window. This needs to happen. We have a decent first 11 on paper when everyone is fit and the tactical setup is attack orientated but we have far too much dross. The squad is actually poop and we have players who need to leave even if just to freshen things up.

You might say what will the quality of those coming in be but we already know what we have for the squad is sub standard and this is not to excuse Jose, he's been fudging awful as well seemingly doing his very best to pick as much of the dross as possible he's even made some of the dross key figures in his side. [emoji2367]

Sissoko
Moura
Rose
Sanchez
Dier
Toby
Winks
Lamela
Bale
Hart

But any of the above could leave and we wouldn't miss their playing "ability" we might miss the numbers but they can all be very easily replaced without a single tear.

Lloris Hart
Aurier Doherty
Regulion Sessegnon
Rodon Dier
????? Alderweireld
Hojberg Skipp
Ndombele ?????
GLC Dele
Son ?????
Kane ?????
????? Bergwijn

That's 5 new signings making a 22 man squad if you can accept Dier and Alderweireld kept as back ups. Should be achievable without too much fuss

Sissoko
Moura
Rose
Sanchez
Dier
Toby
Winks
Lamela
Bale
Hart

We have Cirkin coming through and also sessegnon to return

I foolishly hoped that Bale would infuse Tottenham squad with elite winning mentality, like how Tom Brady has done to Tampa Bay Buccaneers...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/55912383

After winning a record six Super Bowls in 20 years with the New England Patriots, Tom Brady became a free agent for the first time last year. He sought a new challenge, and chose to leave the most successful team of the NFL's modern era for one of the least successful - the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Could he really lead Tampa Bay to the big game in his very first season, making them the first team to play a Super Bowl in their own stadium? It seemed too good to be true.

It wasn't - not with Brady steering the ship. The Bucs have defied the odds to reach the NFL showpiece and the league's three-time Most Valuable Player, now 43, continues to defy Father Time.

Perhaps Kane can get JJ Watt to have a word with our defence at least...

I foolishly hoped that Bale would infuse Tottenham squad with elite winning meteorology, like how Tom Brady has done to Tampa Bay Buccaneers...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/55912383

After winning a record six Super Bowls in 20 years with the New England Patriots, Tom Brady became a free agent for the first time last year. He sought a new challenge, and chose to leave the most successful team of the NFL's modern era for one of the least successful - the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Could he really lead Tampa Bay to the big game in his very first season, making them the first team to play a Super Bowl in their own stadium? It seemed too good to be true.

It wasn't - not with Brady steering the ship. The Bucs have defied the odds to reach the NFL showpiece and the league's three-time Most Valuable Player, now 43, continues to defy Father Time.

Perhaps Kane can get JJ Watt to have a word with our defence at least...

Bale was never the key man for the Real trophies, yes he played his part and sometimes a very important part but he was never the man they relied on game after game, season after season. So you can't really compare and expect the same influence and impact that a quarterback would give.

Returning to this after the Lloris comments on the losers in the squad...

..which of these utter wastes do we flog first?

Honestly, between Dier, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Hart, Dele, Aurier, Doherty...who goes first isn't a priority to me, but only that they all go.

When Trippier left, he gave interview to the Mail saying that there were things wrong behind the scenes and that it wasn't a happy place in the last year.

Lloris has now reinforced that - two years on, that problem is still in evidence, only now we have ludicrous levels of entitlement on the part of the useless reserves to think they deserve to be playing.

Something is utterly wrong behind the scenes. And it starts with these players. Something went wrong after the unity of 2016-2017, and it's down to these players, imo.

Mourinho was the attempt to make this broken team work. Now that has failed. And while I hope we left him behind in motherf*cking Zagreb to hitchhike home...

...these damaging, toxic, useless wastes of space with no ability whatsoever need to go to. My only fear is that Levy haggles over the fees and some of these human timebombs remain next season - if we have to lose Kane, if we have to lose Son, fine, but get these men out. Take whatever we can get from whichever clubs are foolish enough to offer any money, and get. Them. Out.

Dier, Winks and Sissoko must go this summer. Bring in a CB and a midfielder.

The list of players that could, and perhaps should, be upgraded on is long, but too much for one window. It will depend on interest and who we can get in.

Lloris, Hart, Aurier, Doherty, Davies, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Alli, Moura.

Dier would be first on the 'get rid' list for me, along with Doherty. I have a feeling (nothing more than a feeling) that Dier is a brick-stirrer.

Son and Kane? No way.

Us losing big games with them in the team isn’t necessarily their fault. Hugo was in all our biggest failures and he captained France to the World Cup.

Kane, Son, Hjobjerg, Reguilon, Hugo, Dele, Ndombele and GLC are untouchable for me. Top, top players.

The rest, I don’t know. Aurier has shown a lot this season but maybe is still too error prone. Rodon has potential. Dier has a good attitude but isn’t good enough at the top level. Good backup maybe. Davies is a good pro and I’d keep him for the same reason Man U had Fletcher and O’Shea or Liverpool had Milner.

Other than that, there aren’t many I’d be upset to see leave.

We have the nucleus of a very good team. We have a massive problem in the dugout though because our best players cannot flourish with his brick tactics.
I agree on No Way for Son and Kane. But With Son and Kane I don’t think it’s an issue of the fans or the club wanting them out, it’s more a case ‘why on Earth would they stay’? I have no doubt that one day, Kane will be looked at by Spurs fans like Jimmy Greaves is now. He’s wasted at Spurs. So is Son. I truly hope Kane wants to stay and break records at the club. But that’s because I’m a fan and I couldn’t imagine any higher honour than playing for Spurs. But let’s be realistic about it. He just got knocked out of the Europa League when Spurs were 2-0 up well over three quarters of the way through the tie. He must’ve been looking back the pitch thinking ‘we really do have an awful lot of very poor players’. He could go to any club in the world and never have to think about the EL ever again! Oh, and win stuff.

Returning to this after the Lloris comments on the losers in the squad...

..which of these utter wastes do we flog first?

Honestly, between Dier, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Hart, Dele, Aurier, Doherty...who goes first isn't a priority to me, but only that they all go.

When Trippier left, he gave interview to the Mail saying that there were things wrong behind the scenes and that it wasn't a happy place in the last year.

Lloris has now reinforced that - two years on, that problem is still in evidence, only now we have ludicrous levels of entitlement on the part of the useless reserves to think they deserve to be playing.

Something is utterly wrong behind the scenes. And it starts with these players. Something went wrong after the unity of 2016-2017, and it's down to these players, imo.

Mourinho was the attempt to make this broken team work. Now that has failed. And while I hope we left him behind in motherf*cking Zagreb to hitchhike home...

...these damaging, toxic, useless wastes of space with no ability whatsoever need to go to. My only fear is that Levy haggles over the fees and some of these human timebombs remain next season - if we have to lose Kane, if we have to lose Son, fine, but get these men out. Take whatever we can get from whichever clubs are foolish enough to offer any money, and get. Them. Out.

I nearly bumped this thread last night myself.

The strange thing is if it is the players from before Mourinho arrived that are the problem:

Dier, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Aurier

Rodon, Tangana, Sessegnon, Skipp, Doherty/Lavernier (sp?)

All could have been drafted in to the squad/used more - and problem players excluded, not like he hasn't got form for doing so, here or at previous clubs and wouldn't have known after last season what the issues were. Message was loud and clear in the summer,happy with the backing in the transfer market and happy with the squad.

I nearly bumped this thread last night myself.

The strange thing is if it is the players from before Mourinho arrived that are the problem:

Dier, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Aurier

Rodon, Tangana, Sessegnon, Skipp, Doherty/Lavernier (sp?)

All could have been drafted in to the squad/used more - and problem players excluded, not like he hasn't got form for doing so, here or at previous clubs and wouldn't have known after last season what the issues were. Message was loud and clear in the summer,happy with the backing in the transfer market and happy with the squad.

To be honest, many of the first batch you mentioned were a) huge downgrades on their predecessors (Sanchez, Aurier, Sissoko - that they were the replacements for Toby/Verts, Wanyama and Walker is an utter indictment of whomever bought them), and b) mostly useless backups promoted to roles of inordinate influence in the side (Dier, Winks, Davies) by dint of just sticking around here despite being wastes of space and wages.

Dier in particular has always struck me as having a terrible mentality - this 'Dier is intelligent' stuff ignores the fact that, for five seasons now, all he's done is shoot his gob off to the press every time we' re in a run of good form, and get into fights with fans and act the hard man when he's useless. He can' t defend, has no skill, no heart and no brains - why on Earth is he talking for the side?

The only one that I can genuinely mourn in that lot is Dele - he had the world at his feet and threw it away, entirely by himself.

But I think in general, the awful mentalities built up over time. In 16-17, none of that lot bar Dele got into our first eleven, but Sissoko, Aurier et al crept in in subsequent seasons and ruined the competitiveness of the side as the best players left or declined.

It's on Mourinho too, of course it is - he had Rodon, he had Tanganga, he had academy lads, he could have done a Poch, drummed out these fools and played the kids. His choice to stick with them, and they've killed him. Nobody else to blame.

But I loathe these guys right now. They are also to blame.

We have no money, the only way a rebuild happens is by off loading deadwood which in the current climate maybe difficult at the prices being asked or Son/Kane/Hojberg/Reg to raise serious funds.

sending Bale Back should free up a decent wedge on the wages as well.

To be honest, many of the first batch you mentioned were a) huge downgrades on their predecessors (Sanchez, Aurier, Sissoko - that they were the replacements for Toby/Verts, Wanyama and Walker is an utter indictment of whomever bought them), and b) mostly useless backups promoted to roles of inordinate influence in the side (Dier, Winks, Davies) by dint of just sticking around here despite being wastes of space and wages.

Dier in particular has always struck me as having a terrible meteorology - this 'Dier is intelligent' stuff ignores the fact that, for five seasons now, all he's done is shoot his gob off to the press every time we' re in a run of good form, and get into fights with fans and act the hard man when he's useless. He can' t defend, has no skill, no heart and no brains - why on Earth is he talking for the side?

The only one that I can genuinely mourn in that lot is Dele - he had the world at his feet and threw it away, entirely by himself.

But I think in general, the awful mentalities built up over time. In 16-17, none of that lot bar Dele got into our first eleven, but Sissoko, Aurier et al crept in in subsequent seasons and ruined the competitiveness of the side as the best players left or declined.

It's on Mourinho too, of course it is - he had Rodon, he had Tanganga, he had academy lads, he could have done a Poch, drummed out these fools and played the kids. His choice to stick with them, and they've killed him. Nobody else to blame.

But I loathe these guys right now. They are also to blame.
Perhaps we’d have been better off in the long run had Clattenberg given Dier a red card for those repeated fouls during the Battle of the Bridge, as that performance seems to have garnered Dier the reputation as being some kind of modern day Dave Mackay when in reality his level is closer to Lee Cattermole.

Back