1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official Film Thread ***

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by markysimmo, 14 Jan 2012.

1. paxtonwolf

paxtonwolf Mel Hopkins

Just dont watch The Bubble

2. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Les Ferdinand

No one else seen Fresh? Also thought Big Bug was worth a watch.

3. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Paul Robinson

Watched Boiling Point last night. I know I'm going against the grain here, but I was a bit disappointed with it. Maybe because everything I have heard and read hyped it up so much that it didn't quite live up to expectations. It was also a bit of a stop-start watch for a bit whilst doing dinner so perhaps I didn't get the full build up of tension because of that. Don't get me wrong, it was good but I was expecting to be more gripped by it.
    Stephen Graham is however an excellent actor.

4. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

Saw the new Fantastic hunks of burning love film earlier, slow start but wasn't too bad in the end, probably the best of the 3 films so far

5. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

I like the actor and the concept of the one-shot film etc. I was just completely put off the idea of such a stressful tone - I just don't see that as appealing (so haven't/won't watch it)

Bullet likes this.
  6. Diamond Lights

Diamond Lights Steve Hodge

Matrix Resurrections. Hmmm.

Not sure if anyone here is a Matrix fan? The first one was epic. The second and third... eesh...

This wasn't necessary though. I dont get quite why it was needed. Jessica Henwick was fantastic though.

spurspinter1 likes this.
  7. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Chris Armstrong

With you 100% on the first one, it all seemed a bit silly once he started flying around.

It’s not a fresh take but seems like everything new is either a remake / sequel / marvel. I am part of that problem as I can only be arsed to go to the cinema for films like the batman or Spider-Man “The greatest nostalgia cash in of all time”.

I am considering getting Mubi as whilst there’s plenty to get through on Netflix/ Prime it’d probably be more stimulating to watch more indie / foreign flicks..

kendoddsdadsdog likes this.
  8. kendoddsdadsdog

kendoddsdadsdog John Piercy

It's worth doing the free trial to give it a go. Very mixed bag, though. You get some truly outstanding stuff that doesn't appear elsewhere (First Cow, Petite Maman and Drive My Car being recent examples), but also a lot of near-unwatchable (IMO) arthouse cinema.
    When/if you try to cancel they always seem to offer a 50% discount to keep you onboard, too. So, for a fiver a month, it generally works out as a good deal.

spurspinter1 likes this.
  9. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Rafael Van Der Vaart

I saw this at the cinema over a month back. I would say kitchens are generally always stressful full on environments and I'd expect that to be reflected.

Graham is good as always but the actress playing his sous chef? was even better imo.

As it is filmed as one shot and because of that restricted to covering one evenings service (almost as live) , I thought the amount of incidents, storylines etc that came to pass was bordering on ridiculous.

A worthwhile watch though

10. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Rafael Van Der Vaart

I haven't...but Daisy does my head in.

11. spurspinter1

I truly appreciate your response on mubi as it is informative, but also your username as when studying in Liverpool I worked at the Anglican Cathedral cafe / bistro and had the actual Ken Dodd come up and order a few drinks whilst making a couple of height jokes (as I’m 6 ft 6). Will keep your suggestions in mind for when I take the plunge!

thfcsteff and kendoddsdadsdog like this.
  12. spurspinter1

As someone who has worked in a kitchen environment in Liverpool, clips of this film are just triggering. I’ve had trays thrown at me by dingdonghead scouse coked up chefs where it’s taken everything for me not to go fully feral and kill someone.

Any Front of House staff will say, you’ve got to be a brickmuncher to get anywhere because the supposed rules of work / being a human don’t apply. In the clips i’ve seen it seems to glorify that superiority complex that the chefs have, it puts me off watching the film.

thfcsteff likes this.
  13. LemonadeMoney

Well then you'll enjoy what happens to her.

14. spurspinter1

Hadn’t seen it for years but rewatched in Bruges last night. Completely forgot about the “Tottenham” name drop and despite it being somewhat pejorative you’ve still gotta love it.

What a film. Incredibly lifelike dialogue combined with the beautiful backdrop of the city in question whilst satirising the whole thing..

15. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Mitchell Thomas

Got a babysitter lined up and going to watch the new Batman on Sunday. Have avoided spoilers and reviews since it was released. Hope it's three hours well spent!

Lilbaz likes this.
  16. LemonadeMoney

Pervert.

17. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover the prettiest spice girl

Was utter rubbish. Spent most of my time sat there on this site and my crypto forum. My son loved it, I love him but he is a moron. If you like it you also will be a moron.

Don't know about Australia but the few times I have been to the cinema I have frozen to death, wear a coat.

markysimmo likes this.
  18. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Michael Carrick

The Batman, it was good. Just about an hour too long.

Interesting that it's more an origin story of how he becomes bruce wayne.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2022
  19. spurspinter1

Prime has added on the James Bond collection in case anyone’s interested.

I watched No time to die last night - Spoiler alert: Lea Seydoux and Ana De Armas are beyond stunning, not to reduce the film to rather primal urges / general misogyny but I’m finding it hard to recall a cast that has two ladyfolk quite as mind-blowingly beautiful but happy to be corrected.

There’s also a nostalgic approach to the dangers of drink driving as well, a real throwback but an enjoyable film nonetheless.

Bedfordspurs and SteveAWOL like this.
  20. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Mitchell Thomas

It was terrible. He was terrible. The car was even terrible. Three hours of my life, wasted. I could have used that time to do something useful like go to the pub.

Danishfurniturelover likes this.