• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
seriously if you would that good would you join spurs after the series of high profile departures? I think we're going to be left bad and the ugly for a while until things look more stable.

Most big(ish) clubs change managers all the time. At this level they know results matter and they are more than adequately compensated for their troubles.

That's because most of their stuff is either taken from internet forums or just made up. The Van Gaal stuff they probably just c+p through Google translate from a Dutch paper.

In other words, it's paper talk. Sorry Gutter Boy, this thread is a nonstarter. Looks like we are stuck with Timmy for the next 18 months
xugn.jpg

In other words, it's paper talk. Sorry Gutter Boy, this thread is a nonstarter. Looks like we are stuck with Timmy for the next 18 months
xugn.jpg

:ross:

p.s if sherwoods milk turns out to be sour I wont be the ***** that drinks it

lets see what he can do......oh dear what a state we are in.

:ross:

p.s if sherwoods milk turns out to be sour I wont be the ***** that drinks it

lets see what he can do......oh dear what a state we are in.

We've gone from Gareth Bale scoring a hattrick on Boxing Day and us flying going into the new year with things looking up for us with a young manager in charge and the January transfer window coming up to having no superstar in the team, a second string defence and no AVB in a year.

Amazing how much can change in a year, I wonder what next new year will bring.

We've gone from Gareth Bale scoring a hattrick on Boxing Day and us flying going into the new year with things looking up for us with a young manager in charge and the January transfer window coming up to having no superstar in the team, a second string defence and no AVB in a year.

The calibre of our manager come the summer will really determine how many of our players we are able to hold on to.

At this point in time the sliding doors could really go from title challengers (LVG) to relegation dogfight (NBD)

Which would be better?

Finish outside the top 4, United get a CL spot and we get Van Gaal

or

sneak into 4th, United replace Moyes with Van Gaal and we get to keep Sherwood?

I don't think any of Europe's elite clubs would appoint van Gaal now. Clubs like Spurs, yes, but not the big lads like United I don't think.

******** this time last year we signed Holtby and he was hailed as the new hope, someone who could bring the creativity we were lacking because he had one good game.
Thats how desperate we were. Then Bale turned into Ronaldo and everything was forgotten.

seriously if you would that good would you join spurs after the series of high profile departures? I think we're going to be left bad and the ugly for a while until things look more stable.

Never seems to stop Madrid, Chelsea or City. While we aren't in the running for the same calibre of manager, its obvious that a shot at success is worth the chance of being sacked. It's the nature of the industry. I'm sure they would be well compensated anyway!

I could easily see Levy doing this, especially if Sherwood held him over a barrel re the long term. His contract probably has a if we don't finish better than 5th/6th, then no payout or something along those lines.

Sherwood's best option is (as an earlier poster said) is to get the club as high up as he can (not going to get CL spot), take the payoff and move to a club that might actually give him a run.

Last week the Dutch press (Telegraaf) were saying that LVG would come in and Sherwood would be his assistant (or be mentored) for 2 years. Either it's balls or the club think a lot of Sherwood, this is a trial and he is being fasttracked for the top job full-time when he has completed the final coaching course. Of course, Van Gaal isn't free until the summer either and Sherwood's contract already had 18 months to run anyway.

I voted LVG. The guy does have a massive ego...but he has the experience and guile to get the best out of these players.

I strongly suspect Levy had no intention whatsoever in giving Sherwood 18 months but was forced into it due to Sherwood actions on the immediate departure of AVB.

Any new signings during this transfer window may have this new managers name written all over them...the next month may prove interesting.

******** this time last year we signed Holtby and he was hailed as the new hope, someone who could bring the creativity we were lacking because he had one good game.
Thats how desperate we were. Then Bale turned into Ronaldo and everything was forgotten.

And this time 2 years ago we were 3rd in the Premier League, 5pts clear of ARSEnal, having just beaten Norwich courtesy of a Bale brace, his 4th and 5th goals in 8 games, with Modric and VdV orchestrating some of the best attacking football this club has seen in many years...

28/12/11 - P:17 / W:12 / D:2 / L:3 / F:34 / A:19 / GD:+15 / Pts:38
28/12/12 - P:19 / W:10 / D:3 / L:6 / F:34 / A:25 / GD:+9 / Pts: 33
28/12/13 - P:18 / W:9 / D:4 / L:5 / F:19 / A:24 / GD:-5 / Pts:31

One might say we're in a negative spiral :-k

More puzzling, are they real responses? People would forego success just so we could get Van Gaal?

Some great supporters we have.

Van Gaal is radically different from our past few managers in almost every conceivable way. He's not a hopeful young 'un fresh off some underdog European success like AVB or Ramos: he's been around the block, is vastly experienced and has won almost everything of note within the game while managing some genuine giants like Barca and Bayern. He's not an 'arm around the shoulder' manager like 'Arry or (apparently) Full-time Tim: he's a disciplinarian, who takes absolutely no nonsense and has no qualms about ripping players apart if they disobey his instructions. And he's not a 'let the players play' man like 'Arry or Jol: his tactical systems are notorious for being intricate and devoted to perfection in even the smallest things.

He's a cantankerous 62 year old with an enormous pedigree, a reputation for being intimidating and hard-nosed and a maniac when it comes to obsessive planning. We've never, ever hired someone like that, and doing so could either revolutionize the club or utterly sink it. For example, what of the players he'll be managing, the likes of Daws, Lennon, Defoe (possibly), Lamela or Eriksen? They've become accustomed to having soft-spoken or motivational types (even with the latter two, under AVB and now Sherwood) who are often more understanding of errors than contemporary managers would be. How would they react to a red-faced Van Gaal blasting an angry tirade their way for failing to make a precisely planned 62-yard-pass in the 37th minute after a precisely clocked 12 minutes of possession play? Actually, scratch that: how would they react to what would presumably be eruptions of molten fury over the mistakes they make on a frequent basis?

If I read our players right, they're not cut out for that, being a bunch of soft, quiet lads. Van Gaal could destroy them. But equally, I may be understimating our players or overestimating Van Gaal's bursts of temper, and in that case having a manager they would undoubtedly respect enormously helping them raise their game could turn them into steely, no-nonsense types as they buy into the manager's vision, which could very well revolutionise the club in the long-run.

Same thing goes for Van Gaal's lack of experience in England: all his life he has managed teams in countries that adhere to certain philosophies of considerable tactical complexity and deeply-held views of how the game should be played: how will this 62 year old adapt to the fast-paced, end-to-end whirlpool of tactical anarchy that is the Premier League? He could adapt very well, of course: you don't win the things he's won and manage the teams he's managed without large amounts of intelligence, adaptability and nous. But equally, he could be chewed up and tossed aside by the unforgiving Premier League like so many talented managers have been over the years, and we would be set even further back.

And both those things are still only two of several major issues that have to be addressed. He blooded youth players well at Bayern: would he be willing to do the same here? How would he get the notoriously fickle English media onside? Would the fans take to his decidedly no-nonsense approach? How would Baldini feel working with him? What would be his gameplan for those crucial first few months: defensive solidity first and foremost, which would mean recieving a barrage of criticism from media outlets angry at this foreigner taking over from free-flowing Tim, or the 'we'll score one more than you' approach, which would bring with it a high risk of bad results (and, by extension, fan discontent)?

So like I said, it could go either way. Lots of doubts will undoubtedly emerge should we appoint a polarising figure like Van Gaal, and thus it has the potential to be either a brilliant or utterly destructive move.

Personally, however, it's far too soon to be writing Tim off, and I'd be happy to return to this at the end of the season. For now, though, I'll do my best to avoid commenting on 'future managers' when we have one working hard to keep his place right here.

More puzzling, are they real responses? People would forego success just so we could get Van Gaal?

Some great supporters we have.

The people that actually voted the first option care more about them being proved right then our success. It's quite embarrassing but having read some of the posts since Sherwood has taken charge....not surprising in the slightest.

I wonder how far you would have taken your desire to see your club lose GB if you had been a Chelsea fan after they fired AVB and hired Di Matteo. Would it have gone as far as the quarters of the Fa cup and CL? Semis? Final?

Last week the Dutch press (Telegraaf) were saying that LVG would come in and Sherwood would be his assistant (or be mentored) for 2 years. Either it's balls or the club think a lot of Sherwood, this is a trial and he is being fasttracked for the top job full-time when he has completed the final coaching course. Of course, Van Gaal isn't free until the summer either and Sherwood's contract already had 18 months to run anyway.

I don't think either i) van Gaal 's ego will have an assistant forced on him or ii) Deadwood's ego would allow him to be demoted in such fashion.

I'd be much happier if LVG was allowed to bring his own guys with him (presumably Blind and Kliuvert)

I really don't think Levy nor Tim, expect Tim to the man next season.
It wouldn't surprise me if this has already been agreed between the 2, and the 18 months is just a sweetener.
At the end of this season, Sherwood is found another role at the club, or then has some experience under his belt for a job outside of Spurs.
By not declaring it as a temporary measure, the thinking is that is 'may' bring some stability to the club, and reduce constant speculation as to who's going to be the next man.
Just imo.

Back