• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

You can not compare our situation to Chelski , they have been financially doped for years, we have had to start from a position a lot worse off then them.

I know the differences. I’m not saying it’s fair. I’m just saying it’s a very clear difference in the pitch to certain managers.

Last edited:
He didn’t join Leicester because they were gonna win the title
He joined as they paid him more
Managers want to be paid
Conte is angling for a pay rise after winning the league at inter knowing their skint
Ole got a pay rise after winning nothing
He wouldn’t be following Poch he would be following Jose
Last summer when we were doing we backed the manager (I don’t know how TBH)
This summer with a new manager we will back the manager
And personally I’d prefer Potter. He abs shown a variety of ways of play in his style and has improved quite average players which I haven’t seen from memory from Rogers

He joined Leicester because getting back into the PL was a good move after being in Scotland. I don’t think at that point he thought Leicester were going to challenge for the title, but if that was his long term ambition, he’s done very well at showing he is ready for a step up.

We debated this a few pages back. I understand the money argument, but my point is, certain managers that make it to the very top table make way more money throughout their career, than the ones that slide back down too soon. AVB went from commanding a £13M salary to a £6M one.

It is absolutely likely that certain managers with ambitious long term goals pick their projects carefully, rather than jumping for an immediate pay bump, if they aren’t comfortable that move will be the right next step for them on their way to the top.

I’ll say it again, if we get Rodgers I’ll be impressed with ENIC and have confidence in their vision. I think an ambitious guy like him being convinced of our plans to really compete, I’d feel good about that.

He joined Leicester because getting back into the PL was a good move after being in Scotland. I don’t think at that point he thought Leicester were going to challenge for the title, but if that was his long term ambition, he’s done very well at showing he is ready for a step up.

We debated this a few pages back. I understand the money argument, but my point is, certain managers that make it to the very top table make way more money throughout their career, than the ones that slide back down too soon. AVB went from commanding a £13M salary to a £6M one.

It is absolutely likely that certain managers with ambitious long term goals pick their projects carefully, rather than jumping for an immediate pay bump, if they aren’t comfortable that move will be the right next step for them on their way to the top.
Isn't Rodgers earning £10m a year at Leicester anyway? Are we really going to pay him more than that?

Would City appoint a manager without experience winning big trophies?

Would United appoint a former Liverpool man?

Chelsea would potentially be an option for him, he worked there under Mourinho too i believe?

Well both Man U and Chelsea have.
Recently and more than once.
Chelsea have?
United have?
United have appointed ole. They kinda backed themselves into a corner there. Let’s see what happens because he isn’t any nearer to winning the big trophies.
Chelsea have appointed two that haven’t from memory in recent times (Lampard and Sarri).. they didn’t last long. Sarri did wins a Trophy in his one season there. He could wait for them I guess. What’s the average life span at Chelsea... about 18 months I think

Last edited:
I’ll say it again, if we get Rodgers I’ll be impressed with ENIC and have confidence in their vision. I think an ambitious guy like him being convinced of our plans to really compete, I’d feel good about that.

Then asks for player a,b,c,d and ends up with bones at the bottom of the kfc bucket 2 mins before the window closes stating that they tried their best and it was tough unlike every other club in the world.

I agree
An ambitious manager with any confidence would see Tottenham as a huge opportunity
Massive fan base
Massive stadium
Great facilities
And some great players (I wanna we have the best player in the league here in Kane for a start and I’m sure you will say he is possibly leaving, but that would bring in a huge sum for a manager if so)
Any manager who doesn’t see that as an opportunity really isn’t a manager we should be appointing.

Bottlejob manager, bottlejob chairman (in the market), bottlejob team, bottlejob club.... perfect match I'd say.

Chelsea have?
United have?
United have appointed ole. They kinda backed themselves into a corner there. Let’s see what happens because he isn’t any nearer to winning the big trophies.
Chelsea have appointed two that haven’t from memory in recent times (Lampard and Sarri).. they didn’t last long

Wouldn’t be a surprise if United ditch Ole within the next 12 months. Who would they appoint next? It doesn’t matter whether you or I think they’d hire Rodgers, the point is whether in his own mind Rodgers thinks he’d be in the frame. If he does then would he risk moving to Spurs? Probably not.

I agree
An ambitious manager with any confidence would see Tottenham as a huge opportunity
Massive fan base
Massive stadium
Great facilities
And some great players (I wanna we have the best player in the league here in Kane for a start and I’m sure you will say he is possibly leaving, but that would bring in a huge sum for a manager if so)
Any manager who doesn’t see that as an opportunity really isn’t a manager we should be appointing.

All of that is great, but if it adds up to realistically 4th at a push, I'm not sure it is actually attractive. If it is all of that, plus the players to really challenge for the title, I think it's a great job.

Your last line is taking a very favourable view of Spurs and our place in the world. There will be managers that would do really well for us, if they could just be arsed to work within our constraints. We have a lot going for us, but it needs to translate in to realistically challenging for the title. If it doesn't, I don't actually see this as a very attractive job for the top candidates. For the Potters and Parkers of the world, it's an opportunity to manage in Europe and work with bigger names. If we get Rodgers, I'll be happy and impressed that we have a pitch that can attract someone from a club that will finish above us, and be in the CL next season.

All of that is great, but if it adds up to realistically 4th at a push, I'm not sure it is actually attractive. If it is all of that, plus the players to really challenge for the title, I think it's a great job.

Your last line is taking a very favourable view of Spurs and our place in the world. There will be managers that would do really well for us, if they could just be arsed to work within our constraints. We have a lot going for us, but it needs to translate in to realistically challenging for the title. If it doesn't, I don't actually see this as a very attractive job for the top candidates. For the Potters and Parkers of the world, it's an opportunity to manage in Europe and work with bigger names. If we get Rodgers, I'll be happy and impressed that we have a pitch that can attract someone from a club that will finish above us, and be in the CL next season.
It adds up to about 6th.... Problem is that you get sacked for finishing 6th!

Surely a manager with self belief would see the job Pochettino done at Spurs whilst having to balance the books on transfers and think they could match/improve on that now the club is capable of spending?

Would City appoint a manager without experience winning big trophies?

Would United appoint a former Liverpool man?

Chelsea would potentially be an option for him, he worked there under Mourinho too i believe?

He's hardly Gerrard...I reckon United would appoint Rodgers if they let Ole go.

Surely a manager with self belief would see the job Pochettino done at Spurs whilst having to balance the books on transfers and think they could match/improve on that now the club is capable of spending?

Depends if we are actually capable of spending in a way that allows us to compete for the title. We buy GLC and N'Dombele for 50ishM, Chelsea go out and spend 80M+ on Havertz. If the numbers at the other clubs keep going up, our increased spending power might not make that much difference. If we do actually spend like a top club, then great. I'm all for it.

But I think this is exactly the thing potential managers are evaluating when it comes to the Spurs job. The stadium, the global profile, work with players like Kane, the training ground, the academy. It's all there. This *should* be an incredible job. But it doesn't mean much if we aren't going to challenge for the title.

If the argument is; surely a manager with self belief could see what this job did to Pochettino, a man sacked after working miracles, I'm not sure it's a great one. Come to Spurs! Live within your means! Push for 4th! Get sacked if you scrape 6th! Put your heart and soul in to fighting the big guns and actually making it happen, only to get sacked anyway!

I then come back to my over-riding point. If we are now actually going to spend in a way that is similar to the teams contending for the title, I am all for it. I'm on the ENIC train in that case, and I think good managers will be mad not to have a run at it with Spurs. If they are still going to be relatively constrained compared to our competitors in the top 6, I think managers probably look at Pochettino as a cautionary tale, rather than as an inspiration.

Back