1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

New TV and Soundbar

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by StephenH, 18 Feb 2020.

1. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Nayim

Android TV is MUCH MUCH BETTER than it was only half a year ago! The benefit is that you can install any Google app. I subscribe to an IPTV service that can run with an app. Just download the app, and it's running on the TV. Also, being android, the apps work. Propiatary systems often have poor apps that never get updated. Not a problem with android TV.

2. StephenH

StephenH Chris Jones

Snap.
    Trouble is the picture on my ancient Panny TH-50PH9 panel is still good through my Lumagen RadianceXDXE. But a pain for the Mrs to use if the Harmoney remote goes tit upward.

What model are you looking at?

SteveAWOL likes this.
  3. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Mido

They are good but once you have used an Nvidi shield everything is crap compared to it. The top end Amazon device (with ethernet) is similarly excellent.

4. StephenH

StephenH Chris Jones

Can vouch for the Fire TV 4k ethernet is a must iv found

5. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Nayim

I've had both. Sold them. So much easier with everything built in.

Jon, LutonSpurs and StephenH like this.
  6. StephenH

StephenH Chris Jones

Its why I'm going to change our main TV.

7. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Les Ferdinand

My last couple of TVs have been Pannys, so the HZ1000 is currently top of my list... although the Sony A8 apparently has better motion handling, which would make it better for watching sports on...

StephenH likes this.
  8. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Jonathan Woodgate

I have two Sonos Ones dotted around the house but in terms of the tv the Playbase is more than sufficient. Like you say, it provides a clearly noticeable boost to the sound from the tv. Its a soundbar on steroids I guess.

StephenH and Gazza Dazzla like this.
  9. StephenH

StephenH Chris Jones

My stuff is circa 2006 and just 720p, it might have antique value?;) But it still blows away my cheap and cheerful LG 43UM7500PLA which I bought for our den, but love the connectivity of the LG.

10. StephenH

StephenH Chris Jones

This would be my preference also..........:rolleyes:

11. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Les Ferdinand

I had a PX80 Viera plasma which was 720p but upgraded to an ST60 when there was enough HD content to justify the expense.

I’m only looking at a 55” set for the living room so 4K UHD is of limited appeal to me, as won’t notice the difference in resolution from my seating position but at least the upscaling appears to be improving with each new generation so broadcast TV shouldn’t too bad on this year’s OLEDs.

We’ve got a TiVo V6 in living room with Netflix, Prime and YouTube installed which is enough for me, so never really had to worry about TV’s dated smart functionality.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2020
  12. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Nayim

Ehhh.... you'll not notice the resolution upgrade? Yes you will, unless you're Stewie Wonder! A 4k screen has 4 times as many pixels as a FHD screen. 4 dots for every 1 dot. It makes a MASSIVE difference.

13. Jon

Jon Jimmy Neighbour

Indeed! I read recently that certain broadcasters are no longer classing 720p as HD - it’s now in the filthy SD pot where it belongs.

14. Jon

Jon Jimmy Neighbour

Big fan of the LGs. Last years 55C9 is a stunner - if you can still pick one up they’ll be at a bargain price now too.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  15. P.D.

P.D. Mitchell Thomas

I must say the jump wasn't as much as I hoped, I only have 4K Netflix to judge it on and whilst the picture is clearer the jump is nowhere what it was when HD first came about.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  16. scaramanga

scaramanga Vivian Woodward Staff Member

Netflix never really streamed at particularly high bitrate and have used Covid as an excuse to lower it even further.

You really need a Blu-ray or a downloaded digital file from an encoder known for their quality to test it properly.

17. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Les Ferdinand

I’m sat about 9 feet from the television in living room, so I’d need to upgrade from a 55” to at least 70” diagonal to notice the increased resolution from what I’ve read...

upload_2020-9-24_17-38-32.png
    Yeah, seems to be law of ever diminishing returns. I see that manufacturers are now pushing 8K which seems utterly pointless except for those with gigantic screens, or in multiplexes where I have occasionally noticed some screen-door effect in larger auditoria.

HDR is a bigger incentive for me to upgrade my plasma to an OLED tbh.

P.D. likes this.
  18. P.D.

P.D. Mitchell Thomas

In that case you have to wonder what the point of 4K is as I assume Sky don't broadcast full 4K either, I mean their HD used to be 1080i (don't know if they changed it) and if Netflix who are the main streamers don't do it and I'm guessing Amazon etc don't either then the people getting the most out of it is limited. I don't have a Blu Ray player anymore.

19. Jon

Jon Jimmy Neighbour

A good HDR format is what really makes the difference to the viewing experience, I feel.

But combine it with 4K so you’ve got all angles covered.

20. scaramanga

scaramanga Vivian Woodward Staff Member

I think Sky is better on the content that comes through the dish - they have unlimited bandwidth for that.

The downloaded content seems a little lower quality though.