1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

New music?

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by Yermiyahu, 15 Jun 2019.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga Fanny Walden Staff Member

Mogwai are the only decent ones in that list and I saw them about 20 years ago - I don't think they qualify as new.

2. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Jermaine Jenas

I discovered St Vincent last year at All Points East festival and she's been ever present on my playlists since.

ricky2tricky4city likes this.
  3. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Jermaine Jenas

If you're a fan of dirty rock n' roll with a Kings of Leon twist, Dead Sara are a band I listen to a lot. In fact, going to put them on now. I'd recommend their last EP Temporary Things Taking Up Space for quick listening. My favourite track of theirs is Weatherman. Emily Armstrong's vocals are gargantuan.

I tend to stick the same bands on rotation nowadays, so it's rare for me to get into 'new' music by choice. In my opinion there hasn't been a genre-defining or creating age of music since the turn of the millenium, in the same way blues, metal, pop, funk, grunge, Bon Jovi etc literally defined culture the previous century. Could be the age of computers and tech progress making things sanitised and monotonous, could be that I'm becoming an old fart that just defined New Jersey's finest as a musical genre.

Yermiyahu likes this.
  4. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Jack L. Jones

Its purely the industry is risk adverse and the "true new music" only comes with the underground scene

Its toxic currently and won't change anytime soon

I saw Foals on Saturday and they are great, but they kept on talking about how long its took to get there

Their support bands were quote odd and quirky and IMO will go nowhere as their too odd for radio and won't build a fan base

Its actually really quite boring now in music and its probably why I'm collecting old bands on vinyl than nothing new :(((

Yermiyahu and AuroRaman like this.
  5. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

Broaden your horizons maybe and listen to some different genres of music from the past/world music if you don't like modern stuff - via a playlist on Spotify of a restaurant i visited whilst on holiday in Costa Rica a few years back I've mostly been listening to afrobeat, reggae and various latin musical genres - but then i tend to only casually listen to music these days

ricky2tricky4city and Yermiyahu like this.
  6. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Jermaine Jenas

Why would I do that when I could listen to Crossroads: The Best of.....on heavy rotation all day e'rryday?

billyiddo likes this.
  7. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Scott Parker

Will do!

8. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

My thoughts as well, there does not seem to be anything that is new ( or not been done before) that is really worth crossing the road for. As for vinyl i have always kept my collection and get them out whenever i am at home, failing that i have over 900 songs on my i/pod which goes everywhere with me.

9. scaramanga

scaramanga Fanny Walden Staff Member

It's not just the industry (although that's a major cause). We also have a generation growing up who'd rather spend their nights in the gym than in a pub or a club.

Music (and especially live music) are intertwined with drugs and alcohol. Any generation that aspires to owning a Prius and spends good pub time in a gym has no hope of living the sex, drugs & rock n roll lifestyle that good musical generations (if not good music itself) are based on.

10. Moby

Moby Steffen Iversen

New?!!!

That’s ‘bleeding edge’ by my new music policy.

Yermiyahu and scaramanga like this.
  11. Moby

Moby Steffen Iversen

Heard something the other day about music “nowadays” being built for the Spotify playlists. i.e. every track needs to have a chill remix, a salsa remix, a rock remix, a gym/driving/tossing/spooning/coughing/ remix, so it makes as many ‘mood’ playlists as possible and gets its plays that way.

fudge that. I bought 3 vinyl ‘long players’ yesterday by way of reaction.

MKSpur, Yermiyahu and scaramanga like this.
  12. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Fat White Family, Idles, Pip Blom, Flat Worms, Blinders etc is the type of stuff the cool kids are listening to/6music is playing

Mosquito_Coasting and Yermiyahu like this.
  13. Moby

Moby Steffen Iversen

Cheers for the tip off. Any other stations I should also detune?

MKSpur, AuroRaman and glasgowspur like this.
  14. a spur from swansea

a spur from swansea Naybet

Theres a chap called Gerry Cinammon,from Scotland,excellent first album,very sing a long sons,not like The Proclaimers but similar vein,plays acoustic guitar on his own. He be playing Glastonbury and just announced a big area tour in the Autumn.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2019
    Yermiyahu likes this.
  15. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Rafael Van Der Vaart

Can you do that on your crystal radio set?

16. Moby

Moby Steffen Iversen

What’s that sonny?... you’ll have to speak up I’m a bit deaf!

Yermiyahu likes this.
  17. Daisuk

Daisuk Jack Jull

Kasper Bjørke Quartet is excellent. Been digging the Ross From Friends record from last year lately too.

18. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Chris Armstrong

Woah now, so Lighthouse family isn't cutting edge? I don't think I can keep with the trends, "high" was a fudging tune and still is.

AuroRaman likes this.
  19. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Jermaine Jenas

Get out

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

scaramanga and nayenezgani like this.
  20. Moby

Moby Steffen Iversen

Ban?

ricky2tricky4city likes this.