• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New music?

I got talked into going to see Elton John farewell yellow brick road road tour in Sydney last night.
Not really a fan & at $250 a ticket for cheapest seats I thought was a bit to much.

I was blown away how a 75 year old still had so much presence on stage he couldn't walk but play a piano & sing he smashed it. Weird thing was I am not a fan but still new 95 per cent of the songs how does that happen

If he is coming to a a place near you go see him it was definitely worth the $250

Whilst on my walkabout searching for a pub with BT Sport I was listening to the following:

fudge me it's good, I had no idea of what the band was beyond a recommendation but I was blown away. The range of face melting riffs alongside melodic synth breaks and insane vocal harmonies without it ever being jarring, I've mainly been listening to hip hop or electronic stuff but this record is an absolute stonker in terms of musicality, fusion and production. Incredible.

Whilst on my walkabout searching for a pub with BT Sport I was listening to the following:

fudge me it's good, I had no idea of what the band was beyond a recommendation but I was blown away. The range of face melting riffs alongside melodic synth breaks and insane vocal harmonies without it ever being jarring, I've mainly been listening to hip hop or electronic stuff but this record is an absolute stonker in terms of musicality, fusion and production. Incredible.

They're a really intriguing band for sure...production is almost pop-py (certainly designed to be easier on the ear) but somehow the power is not sacrificed. I'm interested to see where they end up, and look forward to checking them out live.

They're a really intriguing band for sure...production is almost pop-py (certainly designed to be easier on the ear) but somehow the power is not sacrificed. I'm interested to see where they end up, and look forward to checking them out live.

How serendipitous, you've already replied to this one haha (as I mentioned it to you on the Son thread for posterity).

I've heard it's their last record.

Totally get you in regards to saying the production is pop-y. I almost switched off after the first 30 seconds as the vocals reminded me of imagine dragons and some of the synth work later on in the album could be found in a Drake song, but once I settled in to the record none of that was a bad thing imo.

I can't really deal with a head banger thrash album that's balls to the wall throughout unless I'm in a very certain mood so this was perfect, it was angry when it suited and at times very melodic as well.

Hopefully they're class live and it wouldn't surprise me if they were, although it'd definitely take a hell of a set up and engineer to make it translate to the live setting.

How serendipitous, you've already replied to this one haha.

I've heard it's their last record.

Totally get you in regards to saying the production is pop-y. I almost switched off after the first 30 seconds as the vocals reminded me of imagine dragons and some of the synth work could be found in a Drake song, but once I settled in to the record none of that was a bad thing imo.

I can't really deal with a head banger thrash album that's balls to the wall throughout unless I'm in a very certain mood so this was perfect, it was angry when it suited and at times very pensive as well.

Hopefully they're class live and it wouldn't surprise me if they were, although it'd definitely take a hell of a set up and engineer to make it translate to the live setting.

That would be the challenge, but I suspect they have their ways and means. With a good light show, the shades and contexts in their sound would be augmented royally!

I bought the new Foo Fighters album, but I'm not ready to listen to it yet.

Feel like it needs full attention, and probably some booze, expecting it to be emotionally raw.

If you like Sleeptoken, obviously check out Mogwai.
But moreso, check out Russian Circles. And Swans might be for you too.
And Heilung.

Check out the Arctangent festival in Bristol in August.

If you like Sleeptoken, obviously check out Mogwai.
But moreso, check out Russian Circles. And Swans might be for you too.
And Heilung.

Check out the Arctangent festival in Bristol in August.

Massive fan of Mogwai, they're firmly on the list of bands I'd love to see live but appreciate the other suggestions, will check them out!

Massive fan of Mogwai, they're firmly on the list of bands I'd love to see live but appreciate the other suggestions, will check them out!
Thought I'd reply in here instead of hijacking Hugo!

Glad you like RS! They are mid-heavy for me.
Listening to Sleep Token at the moment. It's ok. A little too poppy for my liking. In some places it's got that anthemic Mogwai'ness, then it feels like they wanted to go post-metal, but bottled it. It sounds a little like Royal Blood in places.

You might like Alcest.
And the amazingly named Asian Death Crustacean

Thought I'd reply in here instead of hijacking Hugo!

Glad you like RS! They are mid-heavy for me.
Listening to Sleep Token at the moment. It's ok. A little too poppy for my liking. In some places it's got that anthemic Mogwai'ness, then it feels like they wanted to go post-metal, but bottled it. It sounds a little like Royal Blood in places.

Can't remember if I said it on here but I almost switched off 30 seconds in to the album as it reminded me of imagine dragons vocally. I get the pop aspect you mention, some of the synth work could be found on the latest Drake* song but it somehow blends super well in my ears at least. (*I feel like mentioning Drake may seem like a perjorative to many metal heads but it's not meant that way as the production is always tight)

Not saying it's the first band to do it but the ability to shift from facemelting riffs with enormous energy to the melodic stuff really blew my mind, I love the seamless (to me at least) mixture

Interesting you mentioned Royal Blood after the press surrounding their recent performance sandwiched between two absolutely pop based artists, did seem they threw the toys out the pram a bit.

Someone who is less poppy than Sleep Token would be Elephant Tree, definitely give them a go sometime particularly the album "habits", that my sweet spot of heaviness.

Back