1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by DubaiSpur, 27 May 2014.

1. metalgear

metalgear Jimmy McCormick

Good read that !

Its one thing knowing that Poch's emphasis on fitness and intensity is over the top, its also another to hear a hard player in Pablo Osvaldo say this:
    “At times you want to kill him, simply because he makes you suffer like a dog. But in the end you get the right results.”

2. indianspur

indianspur Guest

i think wherever Poch is manager he will need a large group of hard working, self sacrificing players, mostly young and not superstars. Then his methods work, and work well :)

3. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

Agree to an extent.

However I think some superstars will fit in really well in a high intensity, high pressing system. Depending on your definition of superstar: Xavi, Iniesta and to some extent Messi fit in really well in Guardiola's system. Lewandowski, Reus and Gotze at Dortmund. Costa and now Griezmann at Atletico under Simeone.

They have to fit the style of play and the work rate and effort expected from Poch though. Part of why I'm not terribly upset by us not making January moves.

4. Cochise

Cochise Steve Carr

Guess that means we need to go sign Reus then....;)

5. milo

milo Bert Bliss Staff Member

I think that we should all say thank you to every Man U fan that we meet for them poaching LvG. I think that we dodged a bullet there.

6. Baleforce

Baleforce Mel Hopkins

very very happy with MP, I still expect LvG to sort United out though

7. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Tim Sherwood

Some of the guys worrying about the high press leading to burnout need to understand that the system is made to teach players to press well and not just run about like a Holtby. If it was just a matter of chasing your assigned player it would not take months of coaching. There is a very precise science which looks at the methods of closing down and similar to Peps method it focuses on getting to the player within 3 seconds of them receiving the ball as this is when they are least in control of it. I would suggest our high possession stats indicate we spend less time in the press mode so energy used isn't necessarily as high as a team that concedes possession and presses aggressively.

squidseye and thfcsteff like this.
  8. The egyptian

The egyptian Kevin-Prince Boateng

I agree with you Luton, it is about how to stand and how to press more than the chasing. The quality of pressing instaid of Championship's pressing that depend on quantatiy. That's why you need a coach to teach the players not just a manger says to play high tempo pressing game and let our back bare.

9. parklane1

parklane1 Gary Stevens

I would agree with that LvG was never on my list of managers to take over, never really got the hype around him to be honest. My choice would have been FDB but I am happy with what Poch is doing now.

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Gudni Bergsson

AJAX
    Champions League: 1995
    UEFA Cup: 1992
    UEFA Super Cup: 1995
    Eredivisie: 1994, 1995, 1996
    Intercontinental Cup: 1995
    Johan Cruyff Shield: 1993, 1994, 1995
    KNVB-Beker: 1993

BARCELONA
    Primera Division: 1998, 1999
    Copa Del Rey: 1998
    UEFA Super Cup: 1997

AZ ALKMAAR
    Eredivisie: 2009

BAYERN MUNICH
    Bundesliga: 2010
    DFB-Pokal: 2010
    DFB-Supercup: 2010

OTHER HONOURS
    World Soccer Manager of the Year: 1995
    Dutch Sports Coach of the Year: 2009
    German Football Manager of the Year: 2010

That's not hype. ;)

11. parklane1

parklane1 Gary Stevens

I know he has won things but that was mostly in the 90's, not sure he is the same man as the game has moved on. ;)

12. Raziel

Raziel Pedro Mendes

I think some managers who lead by force of personality (my way or highway) don't necessarily get better with time (e.g. not sure LVG/Mourinho/Wenger are better now than 10 years ago)

I personally think LVG will end in tears .. it certainly would have with us.

13. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

Just making sure the Poch thread doesn't drop off the front page. And simultaneously making sure this doesn't devolve into a van Gaal discussion ;)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mauricio-pochettino-given-tottenham-players-5134741

14. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

I remember being absolutely gutted on Easter Monday when news of Moyes being sacked broke.

Now I couldn't be happier.

15. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Chris Perry

It always does with LVG though.

16. Spurs7891

Spurs7891 Dean Austin

Somehow I feel LVG would have done much better with us. His track record and experience would have lifted all the players I think.

17. milo

milo Bert Bliss Staff Member

He looks to me very much like a manager at the end of his career living largely off of his reputation. I think that we are a lot better with Poch who has some new ideas.

thfcsteff and metalgear like this.
  18. Superted

Superted Jonathan Woodgate

Nope. It's called ancient history.

19. GrimsbyYid

GrimsbyYid Gus Poyet

I'm happier than I was, but I still don't think we play amazing football. Have ours moments and west brom arsenal are the first back to back performances we've playd well in. Today we were okay, but a few errors, being naive to play the same 11 when some players were clearly tired. Then taking eriksen off at the end... The man whos gotten us how many late goals? Why take him off? Bizarre...

And I really really really wish he wouldn't play rose and mason... I really think they weaken us. Though our central midfield is the weakest area of our squad massively... But at least the system is coming through a little more. We're not consistent enough and we don't create enough chances, we don't work the keeper enough. Still.

I can't wait for the summer. So we can finally see pochs squad. I don't agree with a lot of his decisions, but he's slowly winning me over. But let's see how we fare with no 'not his players' excuses.

20. DHSF

DHSF Les Ferdinand

I think Poch's hands are tied until the summer. It is clear that he doesnt have much faith in the squad and rightly so, he is reliant on about 14-16 players most are young and have played so much football. Todays performance wasnt really about lack of quality, I just think we looked sapped, looked knackered. We needed someone like Stambouli in there to freshen it up. We looked ok going forward but the mistakes kept on coming and that was down to being sapped.

thfcsteff and Jurgen the German like this.