• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match Ratings vs Villa (Capital One Cup)

Charlie

Radek Cerny
Friedel 7 - excellent saves
Walker 7
Chiriches 5 - have to be quicker & more decisive to the high and bouncing balls
Vertonghen 6.5 - no idea how that wasn't a penalty. looked tired.
Fryers 6 - didn't do much wrong defensively. didn't do much offensively
Sandro 8 - won everything
Paulinho 8.5 - bossed the game
Holtby 8 - three assists
Lamela 6.5 - disappeared in the second half. lost the ball a lot
Kane 7 - played better than Lamela
Defoe 8

Subs:
Dembele 6
Chadli 7
Dawson 6.5

Last edited:
Friedel - 7 - Little to do, what he had to deal with though he dealt with well, save from Albrightons effort in the first half was superb!

Walker - 7 - Solid performance from him, hopefully more of the same against Chelsea.
Chiriches - 6.5 - Much improved in the second half, looked nervous to start off with, he was very happy to be here so keen to make an impression, I think he'll fit in well.
Vertonghen - 6.5 - Not looked his usual self recently, no better way to step up then against Chelsea at the weekend, lucky not to concede a penalty.
Fryers - 6 - Didn't really notice him, not very good in possession though, certainly think he's better at centre back than at left back.

Sandro - 8 - Outstanding performance, everywhere! Really want him to start against Chelsea.
Paulinho - 8.5 - Just class, real special player. Great to see him score once again, he gets everywhere!
Holtby - 8.5 - Paulinho was my man of the match but after 3 assists and a pretty solid performance, you can't really not give it to Holtby.
Lamela - 7 - Real good first half and should have done better with his chance, quiet in the second like a few players, dont think he'll start against Chelsea.
Kane - 7.5 - Brilliant performance from him, think we may have found a position for him. Good to have in the squad.

Defoe - 8 - Good performance from Defoe.. 6 goals in 6 games, 3 of those he has started in.

Brad - Bad

Walker - Runner
Chiriches - Yiddo
Verts - Wedgie
Fryers - Tryers

Sandro - Beast
Paulinho - GoGoGo
Holtby - Geezer
Lamela - Ar-gen-tina!

Kane - Able
Defoe - 6/6

Friedel 8 - One superb save early doors in the first half.
Walker 8.5 - Amazeballs pace. Another excellent performance that is fast becoming a trend.
Chiriches 7 - A few brain farts but I like his willingness to retain possession and run up the field like a lunatic. I'm sure I'll hate that later but for now I like it.
Vertonghen 6 - Cruised through the match and was a little sloppy on occasion. That pile up after little Paulie's goal at the weekend has made him realise his true nature.
Fryers 6 - Solid. Unspectacular. Good outing for the kid.
Sandro 8 - We missed you.
Paulinho 8.5 - For me his best game to date. Stong in possession and dominated the middle of the park. And then dominated not the middle of the park.
Holtby 8.5 - He was the player we needed for the 2nd half of last season but it feels like he's only arrived now. Just like buses, two come along together now that we have Ericsen.
Lamela 7 - A lot stronger defensively than I thought he would be. Needs a few more matches to reach race temperature.
Kane 7 - A lot of stuff just didn't come off but he has the right moves. I hope it all clicks for him soon.
Defoe 8 - In a hot streak.

Subs:
Dembele 6
Chadli 7 - should the keeper have done better?
Dawson 6

Friedel 7
Walker 7
Chiricheș 6
Vertonghen 7
Fryers 6
Sandro 8
Paulinho 8
Lamela 8
Holtby 9 (MOM)
Kane 7
Defoe 8

Dembele 6
Dawson 6
Chadli 7

Friedel - 7 - Made some good saves, didn't look rusty.

Walker - 7 - Another good performance from him, seems to be getting better and better this season.
Vertonghen - 6 - Looked alright, nothing special, should probably have had a penalty given against him..
Chirches - 5.5 - Not a great start, tried to overcomplicate things early on, but came into the game more late on.
Fryers - 6 - Decent defensively, didn't really notice him going forwards at all though.

Sandro - 7.5 - Was beastly at times, but errors were in his game all match.
Paulinho - 8.5 - much improved performance, with another goal too. Seems to get on well with Sandro, though it seems like Sandro might just be easy to play with.
Holtby - 8.5 - MOTM in my mind, think he got three assists and he seemed to link up well with pretty much everyone.

Lamela - 7 - decent performance, linked up well with Holtby from time to time, just didn't quite have the finishing touch.
Defoe - 8 - Should have had a hat-trick, played well. Though in my mind he seemed to come deep a lot which surprised me, though we won 4-0 so what the hell am i complaining about...
Kane - 7.5 - Played well coming in from the left, could hold the ball up, showed some decent invention, not all of it went right but good signs. Hope he gets some more cup action.

Friedel 7 model pro came in did well
Walker 8 in some fine form more hippy crack deserved
Chiriches 6.5 looked much better in 2nd half confident on the ball
Vertonghen 5 lucky not to concede penalty looked tired
Fryers 6 didn't put a foot wrong but nothing going forward
Paulinho 8.5 brilliant bosses the game
Sandro 8 looks back to his old form should start over Dembele Saturday IMO
Holtby 9 MOTM he is in superb form his eye for a pass is the best we have
Lamela 5 thought he was poor today, you can see its in his locker but he gave the ball away repeatedly
Kane 7 looked dangerous looks much better suited as wide forward
Defoe 8 another start 2 goals ho hum

Friedel 7 - Looked like he knew that goal better than he's home, exactly like an old fisherman who spends more time on his boat than at home.
Walker 8,5 - Really impressive for me, didn't put a foot wrong all game.
Chiriches 7 - Poor first half but recovered very well in the second. He started one of his runs but only got to the midfield then passed to a teammate guess he was a bit shy on this debut :))
Vertonghen 6,5 - Does anyone remember how his game was putting all pants aside?
Fryers 6 - Did not look as comfortable on the ball as his teammates.
Sandro 7,5 - A rock.
Paulinho 8 - A rock with soft skills.
Lamela 7 - Decent game.
Holtby 8,5 - You have to say he is the MOM with those assists, he just seems to have that last pass.
Kane 7 - Promising.
Defoe 8 - Defoe's the name, goals "is" my game.

Dembele 6 - Did really see the ball that often.
Dawson 6,5 - Some decent headers.
Chadli 7 - A goal is a goal.

I missed the first 30 minutes.

Friedel 7 - he had nothing to do from what I saw but rewading above it sounds like he did well early on, so would be unfair to just give him a 6

Walker 6.5 - decent enough
Chiriches 6.5 - likes a dribble
Vertonghen 6 - the pants thing was hilarious but could've cost us
Fryers 6 - not really involved

Sandro 8 - beasted it
Paulinho 8 - ditto

Lamela 7 - some nice moves, maybe should've scored
Holtby 8.5 - three assists, great game
Kane 6.5 - tidy, put Defoe in

Defoe 8 - two goals and an assist, should've had a hat-trick but a good night's work for Jermain

Dembele 6 - didn't do much, not that he needed to
Chadli 7 - bit lucky with the goal but a goal nonetheless
Dawson 6 - wasn't on for long

also, a word for the overall attitude of the team - i think you could have been forgiven for assuming we'd give it less than our best given the hectic 6 day schedule and with Chelsea on the horizon, but we looked as though we wanted it from the off and until the win was 'in the bag' we pushed hard throughout. great to see and if we keep it up then we could see a trophy or two on display come the end of the season

also, a word for the overall attitude of the team - i think you could have been forgiven for assuming we'd give it less than our best given the hectic 6 day schedule and with Chelsea on the horizon, but we looked as though we wanted it from the off and until the win was 'in the bag' we pushed hard throughout. great to see and if we keep it up then we could see a trophy or two on display come the end of the season

So need to take that appetite into the Chelsea game, they're sure to give us a proper examination.

Friedel - 7 - Still a great keeper.
Walker - 7 - Good performance, should have quite easily chucked the towel in when he got injured and came off but stuck at it.
Chiriches - 6 - A bit nervous to start with but grew into the game.
Vertonghen - 5.5 - Not really with it today, looked tired and lucky to get away with pulling some shorts down.
Fryers - 6 - Did okay, sells himself too much sometimes though. Will learn.
Sandro - 8 - Rock solid tough tackler.
Paulinho - 8 - Proving to be a great buy and got a goal.
Lamela - 7 - Did well with some good vision and passing.
Holtby - 8.5 - Great assists, never stops running.
Kane - 7 - Strong forward, showed some nice touches. Did well.
Defoe - 8 - Goals goals goals.

Dembele - 7 - Did well coming on for a tired Paulinho.
Chadli - 7 - Bit lucky with the goal but still good.
Dawson - 6 - Did what was needed.

Who didn't play well?

OK, we were playing against their 2nd string but that was an emphatic win and the result will put the bejasus up Chelsea.

roscharch:

Vertonghen 6 - Cruised through the match and was a little sloppy on occasion. That pile up after little Paulie's goal at the weekend has made him realise his true nature.
:ross:

that scoreline + clean sheet is a good sign + their deubtant who didn't score + scoring from a corner = good signs

I mentioned it in another thread, but the way Holtby went out and won the ball in the centre circle after their kick off was such a good start to the game. Showed that we were there with the right intentions.

That kind of kick off, losing the ball straight away was the kind of thing I would expect to see from Spurs in previous years in a lower profile cup game. For now at least we find ourselves on the other side of that, and for sure the grass is greener :)

Holtby seems great in this regard. Still very early in his career and some of it might be a result of him wanting to impress, but he keeps going like he did last night to win the ball and get the assist towards the end too. Similarly he just kept going against Basel last season when we were down to 10 men and he had to play 120 minutes. Whenever he's introduced from the bench I get the same feeling, he will try to up our tempo and do his pressing job very well even if we're in what most would consider a comfortable position in the game.

I mentioned it in another thread, but the way Holtby went out and won the ball in the centre circle after their kick off was such a good start to the game. Showed that we were there with the right intentions.

That kind of kick off, losing the ball straight away was the kind of thing I would expect to see from Spurs in previous years in a lower profile cup game. For now at least we find ourselves on the other side of that, and for sure the grass is greener :)

Thats what you get when you've got competition for places and a manager that's willing to play the form players not just the big names.

Thats what you get when you've got competition for places and a manager that's willing to play the form players not just the big names.
Yes AVB is impressive, Spurs have clearly grown under him. He has a winning mentality, has made the team according to his football mentality(credit the Spurs owners for giving him 100% freedom as i saw for example real madrid not doing so with a lot of their coaches). All of the new signings are quite young and having quality. Wouldn't surprise me to see AVB at WHL for a long time, think we have a ferguson or wenger long time relationship here...

Holtby seems great in this regard. Still very early in his career and some of it might be a result of him wanting to impress, but he keeps going like he did last night to win the ball and get the assist towards the end too. Similarly he just kept going against Basel last season when we were down to 10 men and he had to play 120 minutes. Whenever he's introduced from the bench I get the same feeling, he will try to up our tempo and do his pressing job very well even if we're in what most would consider a comfortable position in the game.

Sounds like he has a fantastic attitude. Really pleased for him. Hope we can somehow accommodate him in the side.

# Score from a corner, we never score from a corner #

That was my chant of the night.

Friedel 8
Walker 8
Chriches 7
Vertonghen 7
Fryers 7
Paulinho 9
Sandro 8
Kane 7
Lamela 7
Holtby 9
Defoe 8

Subs. All 7/10

Couldnt really mark anybody lower than 7 as we cruised to a 4-0 win away.

Just got a little tetchy at 2-0. After Paulinho went off we seemed to surrender possession easier and had a period where we struggled to string more than 4 passes together. Would have liked that 3rd goal a little earlier.

8 clean sheets from 9 games this season, 9 in the last 10 overall. Unreal. Would love to see another c/s this Saturday too

Back