• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match Ratings v City

Friedel - 7.5

Walker - 5.5 - The comparison with Richards was frightening, if that game didn't convince Capello I don't know what will.
Kaboul - 7.5 - Got sucked out of position for Nasri's goal.
King - 7.5 - That fudging penalty.
Assou - 5.5 - Badly missed Ade and couldn't adapt his game.

Lennon - 7 - Decent game.
Parker - 7.5 - Worked hard and defended well, but was a bit sloppy under the pressure we were under.
Modric - 7.5 - Decent game by his standards, again a bit more sloppy than usual.
Bale - 7.5 - Great goal and was our biggest threat second half despite an poor first but was perhaps a bit selfish and released the cross to Defoe far too late.

VDV - 5.5 - A frustrating game for him, he missed Adebayor and couldn't impose himself higher up the pitch.
Defoe - 6 - Not a good all-round performance but he worked hard, scored one and almost had a second, another player who missed Ade.

Livermore - 7 - Decent performance, a little tentative but he helped our shape IMO.
Pienaar - 7 - Thought he had a pretty good game and nearly produced a couple of killer passes. Looked hungry too.

A couple of mistakes in key areas and we got punished, other than that it was a very spirited performance considering we looked absolutely toothless without Adebayor.

Last edited:
Largely agree with these ratings. But why didnt Lennon and Bale try and take on Clichy after his early yellow card. Why doesnt VDV play further up the field. Why cant Modric find the killer pass like Silva. Why did the King dive in like that - not like him at all. Webb - altho this pen was probably justified,why does he always seem to give a crucial pen against us in Manchester - and why didnt he see the two clear sending off offenses against Ballotelli (stamp) and Lescott (stiff arm)?

Last edited:
Largely agree with these ratings. But why didnt Lennon and Bale try and take on Clichy after his early yellow card. Why doesnt VDV play further up the field. Why cant Modric find the killer pass like Silva. Why did the King dive in like that - not like him at all. Webb - altho this pen was probably justified,why does he always seem to give a crucial pen against us in Manchester - and why didnt he see the two clear sending off offenses against Ballotelli (stamp) and Lescott (stiff arm)?

Superb post. Each question implies its own correct answer.

whats up with vdv's fitness? he never seems to be able to last 90mins and although he works hard he's definetly not the fittest.

time for a spell on the bench i think

If I hadn't of watched the game today and just gone on these ratings I would have thought we played rubbish. We didn't at all....

What a load of toss these "ratings" are....if we had held on, youd all have given everyone 2 more marks, just because you felt good.

Completely agree. Some of the irrational knee-jerk is pathetic. We went to City (who have a crazy home record!), should have won, we were mm away from a victory, and yet because of one mistake (which every player makes, so some of the rubbish about King's overall performance and indications of his decline are embarrassing) we lost. brick happens in football. But I for one am proud of how we performed against a top team. We are still learning, and still improving. Sure we could pick out criticisms all day long, as many have done here, but the truth is any fan could. Hindsight and sofa expertise never quite cut it unfortunately. We aren't owed anything, have never finshed above 4th in the PL so lets not turn into the kind of arrogant wan*ers city fans have become. We prove today we can match anyone, and as far as I can see our players should move on with confidence as we approach the likes of Pool, Arsenal Chelsea and United.

Ratings from Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9031383/Manchester-City-v-Tottenham-Hotspur-player-ratings.html?

Rafael van der Vaart
Another game that passed the Dutchman by. Once again failed to last the 90 minutes and made you wonder why Harry Redknapp bothers to select him away from home. 5

I actually do not think he is always bad away from home but today when we really needed him he went missing

Totting up the total ratings for each team we tinkled all over them.

Friedel 6
Ekotto 5.5
King 6
Kaboul 7
Walker 5.5
Bale 7
Modric 6
Parker 7
Lennon 6
VDV 5.5
Defoe 6
Subs
Livermore 6
Pienaar n/a

Interesting, I heard a City fan say they should have been 4-0 up before we scored, we were outplayed and didnt deserve a point.

Sky Sports Stats City 9 shots (4 on target) Spurs 9 (3 on target)
BBC Sport Stats City 13 (6) Spurs 12 (5)

Yes, totally outclassed. They just p#ssed all over us didnt they?

Friedel 6 Good saves first half
Walker 6 Not bad but nothing amazing
King 6 Solid till that last minute when maybe his lack of trainning showed
Kaboul 8 Our best player, a beast.
Assou ekotto 5 Terrible first half, nervous, scared of his opponent.
Lennon 5 Not in the game, i know he can beat his man but not physically good enough for these occasions
Modric 8 Brilliant first 60 minutes, faded a bit, but great performance again
Parker 7 Good first half, cant do everything on his own, needed someone next to him
Bale 7 Great goal, but some of his choices before and after the goal were not great.
Van der Vaart 5 Slow, out of the game, not physically ready. All that wouldnt be so important if his set pieces, his shooting and his passes were better.
Defoe 6 Well, we know he is not a target man so i dont know why we passed him the ball in air. First chance well taken, second one not so well..

Ello there. Lost about 4 match ratings threads in the crash but back on track with Wolves and now Emirates Marketing Project.

Your average ratings (and one of mine) for Emirates Marketing Project worked out as:

Kaboul 7.4
Parker 7.2
Bale 7.0
Friedel 6.5
Lennon 6.2
Modric 6.2
King 6.2
Defoe 6.2
Livermore 6.0
Assou-Ekotto 5.5
Van Der Vaart 5.5
Walker 5.4

Ello there. Lost about 4 match ratings threads in the crash but back on track with Wolves and now Emirates Marketing Project.

Your average ratings (and one of mine) for Emirates Marketing Project worked out as:

Kaboul 7.4
Parker 7.2
Bale 7.0
Friedel 6.5
Lennon 6.2
Modric 6.2
King 6.2
Defoe 6.2
Livermore 6.0
Assou-Ekotto 5.5
Van Der Vaart 5.5
Walker 5.4

I should probably change my name to Ekottoloverboy or something like that, but seriously he must be one of the must under appreciated players we've ever had.

Walker directly involved for their first two goals, a couple of other instances of shoddy defending. Meanwhile Ekotto plays a good game and gets a 0.1 higher score than Walker just because he played a couple of long balls when he had very few passing options?

Another example of Ekotto being way more involved than Walker, receiving 60 passes compare to Walker's 24, completing 44/61 passes compared to Walker's 23/30. And 0.1 points higher score...

Back